Minie Ball?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Found what I thought was some type of old bullet head & what seemed to be a small musket ball last week. I was watching some GPX5000 vids on YouTube this morning & a bloke was using his 5000 to hunt relics on an old civil war field in the US. He pulled out a "bullet head " , the same as I found here on a NSW goldfield, then went on to say that it was a musket projectile that was packed on top of 3 small musket balls & fired? After a bit more searching I found that these bullet like projectiles are actually Minie Balls as per below.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minié_ball

When I get my ute back from the diesel doctor this arvo I'll post some pics but was wondering how common/rare these are to find in Australia. I had never seen or heard of them before but not doubt black powder shooting enthusiasts would have.

Interesting find either way.

I got a musket ball at Hargreaves and have found some pretty big lead balls. Got some huge pistol type slugs too, like what you see on the civil war relic sites

Yep, looks like it
here is a pic of some different projectiles
bullets_muzzleloading.jpg

The musket ball I have is like a sinker only without a hole through it, came from a rough mold with a sprue.

Latest posts