Minelab X-terra 705 General Tips, Advice, Questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok i have a question for you guys....honestly what is the minimum size nugget i could detect with the 705? Does it only pick up big stuff or can i get something the size of a grain of rice for example?

The reason i ask is that i have now got a 705 and want to use it to look for nuggets rather than treasure. i didn't get the gold pack so what coil would be the best option for a newbie looking for nuggets?

retroenduro said:
ok i have a question for you guys....honestly what is the minimum size nugget i could detect with the 705? Does it only pick up big stuff or can i get something the size of a grain of rice for example?

The reason i ask is that i have now got a 705 and want to use it to look for nuggets rather than treasure. i didn't get the gold pack so what coil would be the best option for a newbie looking for nuggets?

So many variables in that question. Depth of the nugget, mineralization in the soil, how fast you swing your coil....
Hopefully the more experienced gold dete tor it's will be a long with some wiserious words. :D

G'day Retro,
I have the the 705 with the 18.5 elliptical coil and have found tiny bits of lead, staples, old timers boot tacks etc, but my 2 favourite finds are these:

0.23 gram nugglet:

1436166655_gold_1.jpg

and this:

1436166655_6p_ed_for_g_forum_1.jpg

If I was to buy another coil for it I would probably get the 6 inch coil for really getting in amongst the rubbish on the goldfields.
I have no problem with pinpointing with the coil I have but think the smaller coil would be better for the really rubbishy areas.
Great machine but as its a VLF it does struggle to punch through the mineralised ground that gold likes to hide in.

Good luck with it and the more you use it the more you will find ;)

Cheers,
Billy.

Thanks Billy. I know it was a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question :8 but i just wanted an idea of the gold nugget finds people are getting with this machine. So i need to get this gold detecting coil then. Ill have to schedule a time to visit MD in Adelaide then. :)

Just a question for minelab 705 users when I am detecting the signal number jumps all over the place from -4 to 44 to 12 is it operator error or do I need to tweek a certian setting for it to stabalize ,detector is working a treat and finding stuff just not sure what target number to call
Thanks inadvance
Gary

some times when any target(any detector) is jumpy it can be rubbish,... although there are times when a good target can be getting masked by a nearby bit of junk,... it's just a learning thing and a personal choice as to whether to dig or not,... in the early stages of the game I would say dig all targets as this expands your knowledge base about what future targets maybe,... and ultimately,... the personal decision weather or not to dig the target that comes up like that or not.

silver said:
some times when any target(any detector) is jumpy it can be rubbish,... although there are times when a good target can be getting masked by a nearby bit of junk,... it's just a learning thing and a personal choice as to whether to dig or not,... in the early stages of the game I would say dig all targets as this expands your knowledge base about what future targets maybe,... and ultimately,... the personal decision weather or not to dig the target that comes up like that or not.

What Mr Silver said!
Dig! Then you know for sure and can learn what gives what signal to an extent, but you will only know for sure if its in your hand.
Never trust what you cannot see! ;)
Enjoy the machine mate :)

Cheers,
Billy.

What those guys said. How much sensitivity do you use? One way to knockout false signals, is to bump it down.

Thanks fellas , i will drop down sensitivity and dig , just wasnt sure about the jumping of numbers over a target
Once again thanks heaps

Latest posts