Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never bought a cover for it, so it has a few scratches and has been bumped from time to time, but I've always been careful with it and it's in working order. You can see below the panel where it's been bumped, skidplate is still good. Also just to be upfront, I've used it at the beach in salt water a few times, it's fine for that but still something I'd want to know if I were buying it. Anyway, maybe this post wasn't best to be in For Sale as I'm not interested in selling at this point (I wanna go out with the Z a few times before I make a decision), just testing the waters for market value.

zsCsmCz.jpg

sgO34Ij.jpg

Yeah, that's why I've been thinking about keeping it Bogger, it's light weight and gets into places I assume the larger coils can't, and I figure it's also useful for scouting out possible areas to use a Z on. That it folds up and fits in a backpack is another plus. I've found it to be a great first detector, I almost always come away with gold albeit very small, it makes it fun.

Anyway, mod can move this to general or leave it as is seeing it's not actually for sale this point.

I was in your boat also not too long ago Cazalla. Bogger really hit the nail on the head though.

I wouldn't part with my SDC (or GPX5000) at all. I just decided to be a bit more patient and give a bit more over time to the old savings -and I'm lucky if I can get away twice a year into the goldfields.

I think the lads are right above also. My SDC has similar wear (really can't be avoided on some areas like the coil hinge) and I'd be asking around the $2500-3000 mark or thereabouts, particularly as we get back into detecting season.

The biggest plus to me was that the SDC comes in very handy for those times when it's raining and showery. SDC really loves the wet, the Zed however can be a problem child in damp ground.

Never hurts to get a little reassurance on these matters. It's a pretty significant outlay.
Who knows, get into that right area and the SDC could help pay for the Zed with a few nice little nuggets. ;)

All the best with it. Keep us posted on how you decide to go about it.
Cheers,
Shauno

Well, Wishfull, I'm not in a rush to sell, so yes and no. It's just hard to justify spending the cash on a Z + 19" coil and not recouping some of that cost from selling the 2300, especially if the 2300 won't get used that much once I buy a Z. Still not sold on the idea of buying the Z either (due to cost), then again, we'll all be dead one day so why not spend the $$ on something you enjoy.

Buy the Z. I ummed and arred about a Z or GPX.

Z is updateable with software downloads - which was used in a useful manner within the first 12 months that it came out. The 19" appears to be doing a reasonable job. In the end it is just money.

And maybe this is a little bit daft/immature/human but if I had got the GPX, every time I used it I would have been thinking "I should have bought the Z". Would have been wondering what I was missing by not having the Z, wondering if I should be changing coils, smaller, larger, etc - the 14" picks up everything from fly shit to elephant turds and everything in between (disclaimer - I am yet to find anything the size of an elephant turd :D )

I'm so happy I bought the Z even though I couldn't really afford it at the time.

And I would keep the SDC. They really are a good match. The big benefit is the way it completely ignores hot rocks. And it's so portable. And waterproof. And basic to use - great for the kids and mates that aren't really sure what they're doing.

Best of luck whatever you do :Y: :Y:

cazalla said:
Well, Wishfull, I'm not in a rush to sell, so yes and no. It's just hard to justify spending the cash on a Z + 19" coil and not recouping some of that cost from selling the 2300, especially if the 2300 won't get used that much once I buy a Z. Still not sold on the idea of buying the Z either (due to cost), then again, we'll all be dead one day so why not spend the $$ on something you enjoy.

Buy the Zed and keep the SDC best of both worlds. If you don't want the SDC after purchasing the Zed sell it then, you'll still get good coin for it :Y:.

Hello to all sdc 2300 owners, today I took mine for a walk and the tone sounded normal and was audible. Then, an hour later I turned it on and the starting up tone and internal speaker warbling was almost inaudible , my friend said perhaps the batteries are a bit flat. When i get home , turn it on an it sounds normal, in that you can hear the starting tone and the warbling is very audible, battery check, all rechargeable showing 1.16 volt. the first time i noticed the quietness was when attending a paid minelab user course 2 years ago up at wattle flat, mine was noticably quieter than the other sdc 2300 there, the instructor had a play with the setting and was puzzled at how it performed in close company with other sec 2300's, get it home and she's a noisy little thing. has any other sdc 2300 owner experience this variation, I'm off on a 7 day expedition soon and do not really want to sent it back to minelab if its not really necessary but i don't want to go out if it could be an intermittent fault, any thoughts , all comments appreciated

my apple macbook air has decided to show me the colour spectrum in the middle of the screen so typing and reading is a bot of a juggling act

Hi goldenoldie2,

I have had a similar problem. On a few occasions after a few hours detecting my sdc starts making similar noises like yours. Not batteries, not cable connections. Still marks targets correctly. I have mine running flat out and found if I reset the threshold back to one light and then back up to flatout, it resets the problem. Have done this a few times and have no problems finding gold still.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Doug

Never had an issue with mine but have to add since running it with a pro sonic on it makes it a new machine :Y:
Doug how's things looking on the weather front your way ? Was heading North early last week but strongly advised against it and rightly so as it has panned out weather wise .
:Y:

Yeh Bogger,

A bit of light/moderate winds at the moment, mostly sunny. The yard is all packed away. The fridges full of food and beer. :party: The detector batteries all charged up just waiting to comb the beaches after it all calms down. :Y:

Cheers

Doug

For chits & giggles try pressing & immediately releasing the Green button when/if it happens again.
On the F3 compact this performs an audio reset - maybe the SDC has this function too? Worth a try?

Latest posts