Minelab PI's on basalt

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbasko

Matt
Moderating Team
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I've been tossing up the idea of getting a Whites modded SPP/TDI SL/TDI Oz pro mainly for specific areas that contain scattered basalt after some advice here on the ability of these machines to balance out or handle the basalt better.
Being a tight ass :lol: I've been stalling on a purchase & to be truthful I'm more committed, comfortable & have more confidence with using the Minelab PI's. On a recent trip things were pretty slow & I started to think about a close by area that I'd found a couple of bits at before that has the scattered basalt. It was getting late & I needed to head home soon but had about an hour up my sleeve so decided to head there for another go at it.
To cut what's becoming a long story short I found a couple of small bits with the SDC just operating normally & kicking the obvious basalt signals out of the way. I started thinking again about the merits of a Whites machine here but the tight ass in me took over & I decided that rather than keep going I would spend some time trying to find a way, with the few options the SDC does give you, to minimise or balance the effects from the basalt.
After trying all the normal settings & the only really noticeable difference was a quieter response in the lower settings, which was to be expected, I tried it in salt settings 1 & 2. Don't know why but I'd never thought to try it before & was surprised by the results I got albeit in the short period of time I had left. In salt setting 1 there was no or very minimal response to the basalt. A lot of pieces of basalt I tried gave no response but switch back to normal & they would. What pieces did respond were different from what you'd get in the normal settings being a very gold like signal on the basalt to more of a murmur or very mild upsetting of the threshold. Salt setting 2 was like running your SDC hot (like I do in normal 4 mostly) & there were more rocks that would give the murmur or mild upsetting of the threshold but I reckon you'd probably get a little bit more sensitivity in 2?
In both salt 1 & 2 I was still able to find the very small bird shot that SDC owners love (we must we keep going back for more :lol: ) & also some old square type nails at reasonable depth up to around 6". That gave me some confidence that I wasn't losing too much sensitivity especially still getting the bird shot. The metal targets both shallow & deep stood out as different to the murmur of the basalt using the salt modes.
Before I say that this will work without a doubt I need to spend a bit more time + try it in a couple of different areas when time permits. In the meantime if anyone has an area where they get these problem rocks - give it a try & let us know how you go with it.
I also want to try the GP3500 in salt mode with a DD to see how it goes & would be interested to hear if anyone with GP/GPX etc. has tried it or has a problem area they could try it out at? Most likely been tried before with these but it seems to work on the SDC so just thinking it could be worth a try too?

Wattle flat had me cursing those basalt rocks every few metres in spots, but I ended up being able to tell them apart from signals by the slightest fast double waver in the threshold when sweeping over them. Almost like two tiny targets 40mm apart.
I figured this quick, almost hidden double sound/response has something to do with the outside reddish "crust" of these rocks, and the coil responding to each edge of these rocks.
Unfortunetely my 2200 is pretty cave man spec and has no control to hide these rocks, so getting my ear in saves digging most of them.
Heatho got pulled up by quite a few on the sdc also - think he was running in 2 or 3 normal..

Be interested to hear your results on the 3500 and also if the sdc loses/gains? depth in the salt settings.
I will get one of those blue vacuums sooner or later :lol:

Salt mode loses a fair bit of sensitivity to surface targets so would surely be a good choice, but with a DD may be too much sens loss?? I'd even try a larger mono.

On the 5000 the salt-gold timing is noticeably more sensitive than the old salt coarse, so would prob work great with the DD coil and medium tracking.

Latest posts