Minelab Metal Detectors commercial

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ad tells me that if I am an old pensioner walking up the beach I will be despised and that the detector is only good for making lots of noise ?

The advertising exec that planned that has had too much coke in my opinion

And they offend us again by suggesting tits and ass will make us pull out our wallet

How come they failed to mention you can buy a machine and get a crap 50 minutes of training with it after they advertise a "full day of training" when you buy a Machine ?

I love that the CTX3030 is making GPX5000 noises...... Marketing department fail....

yep massive fail
I'm glad the research & development team work harder than there marketing team
regards tm

WTF, and the info gained from that clip - nothing. :rolleyes: I'm sure 99.9% of detectorists would not hand a gold ring to a kid on the beach, a coin maybe.

hahaha have to laugh as usual when a company is in trouble they approach an advertising agency who tell them they need to appeal to the general public, this has nothing to do with metal detectors quite simply its a brand recognition promo, people are 8 times more likely to buy your product if they have seen it somewhere before. I guess we all know who minelab are and what they've achieved but the average jo.... they see garrett, whites, loads of other cheap crap then the really expensive minelab.

I hope they can do better when they launch the sd2300 and appeal to the knowledgeable prospector who ave been their bread and butter for years.

Sad to see what was a truly Australian company producing Australian products, turn into a multi-national money making machine, with half of its products now made abroad, and dodgy americanised advertising to go with it. At least some of the US manufacturers have the grit to still produce their own products in their home country, and are proud of the fact, even if some components are made abroad. I feel embarrassed watching that clip.

feeling a little deflated... apologies I haven't been able to post something riveting for you guys to watch

I just thought it was a reasonable ad to entice a younger generation into prospecting - what was so bad about it?

Maybe everyone isn't getting enough (gold that is haha)

I like the ad although I am middle aged guy. Obviously it is aimed at young budding prospectors to show them how cool it is. :D

EternalChase said:
feeling a little deflated... apologies I haven't been able to post something riveting for you guys to watch

I just thought it was a reasonable ad to entice a younger generation into prospecting - what was so bad about it?

Its okay , none of us think you made the commercial and i am glad you posted it

( as an indication and confirmation of the state of management at Minelab )

EternalChase said:

all good mate appreciate you sharing, just sharing our views is all, i bitch about all advertising :)

It's all fun and games fellas - which of you metal detect and what can you suggest as a starting point unit for a first timer?

I pan and sluice mostly - never tried detecting.

Hey eternalChase

I started with a Whites GMT and found it really good for ballarat/creswick area due to the mullock heaps around. VLF's (very low frequency)are great on specimens and sub gram pieces but like all things take a bit of getting used to. If going with a PI (pulse indication) id look at something proven in the field, sd2100, sd2200 and up depending on your budget. Minelab are running a promo on the GPX4800 RRP $4950 all great machines but i'm sure someone with more experience than me can offer better advice.

No apologies required, it's a forum and you will always get differing opinions on things. A younger person may well enjoy the clip, just not to everyones taste I guess. :)

I thought it was clever, Sure it does not explain how to use or what the product is in depth but it does show some of the range they produce.

Agreed the "tits and ass" didn't need to be in the ad but seriously who's complaining?

I don't think this ad is aimed towards the more experienced detectorists but as stated above it's aimed more towards the younger new comers.

Creative marketing is what I would put it down too.

Well done to Minelab for thinking outside the box I think.

Golden Tiger said:
Well done to Minelab for thinking outside the box I think.

they might be thinking outside of a box as you say ......

but the box has no label to identify its contents and most people wont have any idea wtf is supposed to be in that box

rule number one in marketing and advertising.

make sure people know very clearly just exactly what it is youre selling ?

are they selling tits , sunblock , raincoats for old men , bikinis , drum sets ?

8)

Latest posts