Minelab GPX6000 release, general information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mulgadansa said:
Gday Goldchaser
Ran into a guy last week west of Meekatharra. He had a 6k and let me dabble with it for a few minutes. Seemed very impressive.
The only thing that I have a concern with is how it will perform in our laterite and schisty country.
Can you comment?
Cheers
Brett
I have used it on some WA laterite. In the gravel, its fine, but does detect the big slabs of exposed or just under surface laterite. But then the 7000 does too.
Handled my schist fine that i have ran across, but that was just a general greenstone schist
I have hit the occ hot rock, mostly solid black ironstone lumps.

Thanks Kingy. Not many detectors around that don't pick up those black iron mongrels. The guys I was with were having a bit of trouble with the greenstone schists with their 7ks, just gotta be able to pick it I reckon.
Cheers

Mulgadansa said:
Gday Goldchaser
Ran into a guy last week west of Meekatharra. He had a 6k and let me dabble with it for a few minutes. Seemed very impressive.
The only thing that I have a concern with is how it will perform in our laterite and schisty country.
Can you comment?
Cheers
Brett

With the mono on it brett it seemed ok,as kingswood says hot rocks and the the solid caps in the laterite ya still here if ya walk over it,i was running it on about half to 3/4 sensativity and it is chirpy on it,reminded me of the 45 cranked right up really,the signals bang through though. There's a lot more feedback with the sensativity up a bit on that ground then the old gpx's but ya got the dd or turn it down a bit with the mono.
I was lookin foward to this week to start maybe getting a better handle on it,should be up your way somewhere but the weathers put an end to that.
The 17" should be a wee bit less sensative so hanging out for that coil,
personally i would of been happy with 45 or 5 performance in this package,the mega sensativity has a trade off as we all know,i get it though,peeps say in GT etc can go to old areas and be back in with a chance to ping a few bits,great unit so far i think and down the track with more coils on offer it'll only get better.....

PS: no batteries available yet or the 17" of course,got 2 spare skid plates yesty though,it's a start :lol:

Thanks Goldchaser.
I've been waiting a long while for something like this to come out. Been tempted by the 7k but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
Bought one of the 1st 4500's in 08 or 09 and made it cordless about six years ago and run a 17x13 Evo. Fantastic, stable machine.
My forte is patch hunting although I guess with the 6k I'll have to go back to some of those old small gold patches and have a look. Hopefully most of the trash will have been picked up by now :).
Four of the guys I was with for the last two weeks were running 7k's and I couldn't believe how ratty they sounded, bit like running the 4500 in it's worst settings. To my mind you need a smooth, quiet threshold to pick signals.
Heard anything about the 17" coil release?
The dealer tells me the 6k should be here in about ten days.
Cheers
Brett

Mulgadansa said:
Thanks Goldchaser.
I've been waiting a long while for something like this to come out. Been tempted by the 7k but just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.
Bought one of the 1st 4500's in 08 or 09 and made it cordless about six years ago and run a 17x13 Evo. Fantastic, stable machine.
My forte is patch hunting although I guess with the 6k I'll have to go back to some of those old small gold patches and have a look. Hopefully most of the trash will have been picked up by now :).
Four of the guys I was with for the last two weeks were running 7k's and I couldn't believe how ratty they sounded, bit like running the 4500 in it's worst settings. To my mind you need a smooth, quiet threshold to pick signals.
Heard anything about the 17" coil release?
The dealer tells me the 6k should be here in about ten days.
Cheers
Brett

Yep i'm straight off a 45 with 17 evo and wireless to,its a different kettle of fish the 6,its early days so i can't help ya a lot,ive only hit a cuppla old spots with it which is laterite patches but the good stuff off these spots we took yrs ago,looking foward to the next few months with it and hopefully find some fresh ground to see what it can or can't do. I was gonna grab a 7 until i heard of the 6 coming out,wife runs a 7 so where good there.
I'll just hazard a guess right now brett that it's gonna be chit hot patch hunting with the 17 on it,it will make the job easy i reckon,less fatigue equals more concentration after 5-6 hrs,asked about the 17 yesty,no supply dates atm i was told :(

Thanks GC, was gonna head out again Friday but fair bit of rain out in the Murch. Might wait for new machine and then go.
Cheers

Mulgadansa said:
Thanks GC, was gonna head out again Friday but fair bit of rain out in the Murch. Might wait for new machine and then go.
Cheers
Good luck,spoke to wiluna shop on Monday,25mm plus they said,we've just had similar in Kal now,apparently lavo area missed it in a few places.....

Just a random question, have any of you with a gpx 6000 or gpz tried using one of those mega size drag coils ? Have seen pictures of it done with the older GPX models but not the newer ones.
1620216648_screenshot_20210505_213958.jpg

Ded Driver said:
Goldfreak said:
Just a random question, have any of you with a gpx 6000 or gpz tried using one of those mega size drag coils ? Have seen pictures of it done with the older GPX models but not the newer ones. https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...082/1620216648_screenshot_20210505_213958.jpg
Pretty sure no one makes a coil like that for either the 6 or 7 yet :cool:
Because of the sensitivity of both of those machines I don't know that they'd be ideal for that type of set up either?
Most that have a drag coil set up seem to use older SD/GP control boxes.

Tried my 5000 set at the same length as a 6000. No way I can use it at that short length for my height. Apart from the fact it has me looking almost straight down taking away my spacial awarness which I dont like, i almost stepped on the coil 3 times when it came to an abrupt stop amongst the scrubby stuff I like hunting in.
Its a no go for me until a longer shaft is available or a way can be figured out to lengthen it properly.
1 hour saw me chuck it in and go back out to the longer setting.

JD3 said:
Tried my 5000 set at the same length as a 6000. No way I can use it at that short length for my height. Apart from the fact it has me looking almost straight down taking away my spacial awarness which I dont like, i almost stepped on the coil 3 times when it came to an abrupt stop amongst the scrubby stuff I like hunting in.
Its a no go for me until a longer shaft is available or a way can be figured out to lengthen it properly.

Minelab shafts have always been too short. I find the ZED shaft to be barely long enough, and the new 6000 is 3 inches shorter ! I am 5 feet 11 inches tall.

I read somewhere Nenad said he was 6 feet 4 inches, but can have the new 6000 coil 80cm from his boots. All I can say is that he must have arms like an ourangutan to achieve that! ?

Rick

Different strokes for different folks I guess....
I am 186cm and neither the 7000 or the 6000 have been an issue for me in terms of shaft length.
In fact, especially with the 7, I found having the coil closer actually helped with better coil control and reduced arm fatigue.

Araratgold said:
JD3 said:

Minelab shafts have always been too short. I find the ZED shaft to be barely long enough, and the new 6000 is 3 inches shorter ! I am 5 feet 11 inches tall.

I read somewhere Nenad said he was 6 feet 4 inches, but can have the new 6000 coil 80cm from his boots. All I can say is that he must have arms like an ourangutan to achieve that! ?

Rick
Agree with your last two sentences. Im the same height. Though I appreciate him replying to my question.
Id crush the coil within a week for sure at that length. As well as need a neck brace. I laugh at Minelab saying they listened. For yrs us tall guys, and over the yrs statistically the population has got taller, we ask for longer lower?stems, yet Minelab ignore it. Also how they say the 6000 is so much lighter. Um, only by 100 grams than the 5000. Whats 100 grams? I bumped into a guy, gun prospector that puts me to shame and asked him. And I guarantee everyone here would know his name. But doesnt post here. "You tried the 6?" Him "yeah". Is it better than a 5 with a Nugget finder or Coiltek flat? He said yes on sub grams but over that a 5000 with a flat beats it. This guy I trust as iv known him for 25 yrs and flys under the radar but mate has he found gold. He has always been honest and given me the good oil. I now have no interset in the 6.

kingswood said:
Different strokes for different folks I guess....
I am 186cm and neither the 7000 or the 6000 have been an issue for me in terms of shaft length.
In fact, especially with the 7, I found having the coil closer actually helped with better coil control and reduced arm fatigue.
I found after experimenting that having it at its furthest from me gives me the quietest operation. Have a pick holder on my belt and a pick. I wonder how many shorter guys that accept the shaft length as is get more spurious so called ground noises than I do? I have on a number of occasions had people stop to chat and hear them say how noisy the ground in that area is. Im hearing that and think "what noise? Im cruising on a flat wind mono, its all sweet as". :D

Wonce again hang it on the 6000 if you dont wont one dont buy it and stop comenting on it use your machine and be happy with it those that wont it all the best and good luck Im sure its going to be a ripper like all minelabs cheers Muk.

JD3 said:
Araratgold said:
JD3 said:

Rick
Agree with your last two sentences. Im the same height. Though I appreciate him replying to my question.
Id crush the coil within a week for sure at that length. As well as need a neck brace. I laugh at Minelab saying they listened. For yrs us tall guys, and over the yrs statistically the population has got taller, we ask for longer lower?stems, yet Minelab ignore it. Also how they say the 6000 is so much lighter. Um, only by 100 grams than the 5000. Whats 100 grams? I bumped into a guy, gun prospector that puts me to shame and asked him. And I guarantee everyone here would know his name. But doesnt post here. "You tried the 6?" Him "yeah". Is it better than a 5 with a Nugget finder or Coiltek flat? He said yes on sub grams but over that a 5000 with a flat beats it. This guy I trust as iv known him for 25 yrs and flys under the radar but mate has he found gold. He has always been honest and given me the good oil. I now have no interset in the 6.
You sound convinced that you dont want the 6000, thats great. No one is twisting your arm and trying to force you to buy one :)
I shall happily alternate between my 6000 and 7000 and pay the 6 off with all the sub-grammers I am finding.......And I havent even got the 17" yet.
The 7000 is already paid off with all the gold that found :)
I actually know people too and their reports would beg to differ with your guy...but horses for courses I guess.
Its in my best interest really if no one else buys a 6....so yeah.....They are crap. Everyone should refrain from buying one....at least for the next 6 months or so :playful:

Latest posts