Minelab GPX5000 vs GPX4500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just from research myself I can't really get a definate answer on the advantages of the 5000 except that it can be tuned to run smoother/quoted which may give the advantage if gearing that slight change in time,
Apart from that not much except the price. Hopefully someone with a 5000 can shed some light on that hurdle. Or like you said, join a club.
HoudiniHarry said:
You certainly bounce back. The better coil does make a difference. Both machines do really well.
https://cwpsupplies.com.au/collections/gold-detectors/products/minelab-gpx-5000-super-search-bundle

It is really up to you. Do your sums and just spend what you can afford.
Another good piece of advice would be join a club. Plenty in Melb.
They have loads of experience and trips plus you can hire their club machine to test and see what you like.

Kozi M said:
madtuna said:
just going off the description sight unseen, no2 for my pick.
A few scratches is nothing.
Thanks Martina. I'm not fussed about scratches but more concerned how it was treated. Then again it has a good warranty

Where abouts in Adelaide? Am heading there on the weekend staying at glenelg and heading through to Mt Barker on Sat, could possibly call in and suss out the machine and also the owner and their premises to get an idea if they take care of their property. SS

Secret Squirrels said:
Kozi M said:
madtuna said:
just going off the description sight unseen, no2 for my pick.
A few scratches is nothing.
Thanks Martina. I'm not fussed about scratches but more concerned how it was treated. Then again it has a good warranty

Where abouts in Adelaide? Am heading there on the weekend staying at glenelg and heading through to Mt Barker on Sat, could possibly call in and suss out the machine and also the owner and their premises to get an idea if they take care of their property. SS
Much appreciated. I will confirm as soon as I can

To me Scratches means Dropped... Test if you can before handing over your hard earned $$$ There are Too many Cons out there Not to do this... I would even go for a long drive to suss the one you choose out... Just my thoughts if I was paying $3-$4,500....

LW...

Thank you John
old hand said:
Kozi M the new 4500 run as smooth as a 5 if warranty is important go for a new 4500 with 3 years warranty and do a deal on a 12 evo coil you will not be sorry regards john :Y:

A bit more depth and sensitivity than enhance on small gold which realistically is 95% of what we find.

Fine gold (IMHO) is basically a mid-way setting between Enhanced and Normal.
With my 4500, I mostly run in Enhanced in the GT for searching, but switch to Normal for pin-pointing.
With the 5000, you could sometimes search in Fine Gold in some areas, but I reckon there's not much in it. Happy to be proven wrong.
1502095622_gpx_timings.jpg

I can't find the article or you tube vid, but only in the last week i remember reading or watching some info on new and old 4500s. Apparently minelab released a new version and some components were changed to a lesser quality which actually alters the depth ability of the machine, from memory the board or internals are painted white on these machines. Sorry i can't remember the details but it would pay to do some research or maybe some of the members might recall the issue. In saying that i own an old 4500 and am quite happy to stick with it and not upgrade, imo changing detectors is a bit like leaving gold to find gold. ;) SS.

Secret Squirrels said:
I can't find the article or you tube vid, but only in the last week i remember reading or watching some info on new and old 4500s. Apparently minelab released a new version and some components were changed to a lesser quality which actually alters the depth ability of the machine, from memory the board or internals are painted white on these machines. Sorry i can't remember the details but it would pay to do some research or maybe some of the members might recall the issue. In saying that i own an old 4500 and am quite happy to stick with it and not upgrade, imo changing detectors is a bit like leaving gold to find gold. ;) SS.

That's fake news if ever I heard it! In fact, long-time GPX users have found the new 4500 version operates smoother and better than the older ones. Jonathon Porter has also confirmed that the latest version incorporates a couple of software upgrades carried over from the GPX 5000. And Minelab circuit boards have been painted over for years, presumably to make it more difficult for fakers and modders to work out what's what.

Secret Squirrels said:

What Grub said and also, not sure how the bit in bold makes sense?

Latest posts