Minelab GPX4500 tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over the last few weeks I have come across a couple of comments about the latest/newer 4500 NOT being (factory) tuned the same as the older 4500's. Specifically, that the older versions are better on deeper gold. Is this a figment of some people's imaginations (& merely settings), or is it true. Have Minelab essentially created a v2, & around when did this occur?? Any thoughts &/or facts anybody?

I have had both 4500 and am using the new 4500 ,I think its a better detector over the earlier 4500 they run quitter ground balance quicker and depth there is no issue if you hunt around on some other forums JP DONE A REPORT ON THE NEW 4500 regards john :Y:

The 4500 was re released because it was such a popular model. The later versions have the benefit of software tweaks and improvement in assembly processes.

Think iPhone vs iPhone 10 or whatever we are up to now

It isn't a dramatic improvement but these things are such a sensitive bit of electronics that the tiny details can add up

one of the key things I read somewhere was that the newer 4500 was tuned more like a 5000 for small gold & possibly at the expense of some (maybe small) depth loss. So I suppose what it comes down to is, does the 4500 (older or newer) punch deeper than a 5000?

Hey Grubstake that's not the one I originally seen, but the comments are very much right along the same lines.

Old Hand, I haven't found the post again I originally seen to confirm (I will sift thru to see if that's it), but there does seem to be a thread in all of this, even if it is just people imagining it . Im inclined to follow you ..if you've had both old & new & reckon the new 1 is as good or better (quieter), then im more inclined to go with your experience than others imagination. But im curious as to what really drives the comments about the older being better, ... is it a nostalgic grip that holds peoples mindset??

Ded Driver said:
Hey Grubstake that's not the one I originally seen, but the comments are very much right along the same lines.

Old Hand, I haven't found the post again I originally seen to confirm (I will sift thru to see if that's it), but there does seem to be a thread in all of this, even if it is just people imagining it . Im inclined to follow you ..if you've had both old & new & reckon the new 1 is as good or better (quieter), then im more inclined to go with your experience than others imagination. But im curious as to what really drives the comments about the older being better, ... is it a nostalgic grip that holds peoples mindset??

Rockdev has found the correct original thread with the Jonathan Porter post that I remember seeing (http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t24559-older-gpx4500-versus-newer-version-gpx4500#238802). :Y:

As to the reason for the 'older is better' theory, some of the logic behind it may be that the original 4500's were perhaps made in Australia, whereas the latest ones are no doubt coming from Malaysia (like other Minelab detectors).

rockdev said:
Just wondering if this is the report you guys are looking for from JP, its about three quarters of the way down the page.

http://golddetecting.forumotion.net/t24559-older-gpx4500-versus-newer-version-gpx4500

yeah Rockdev I reckon that's the one (one of them)
I have seen similar comments more than just a couple of times tho. I think I even seen something similar written on an eBay sale too!
But I'm inclined to go with Old Hands actual knowledge of them both.

NB, it would seem a bit unusual that Minelab would sacrifice the depth on the 4500 in favour of small gold when the 5000 & 2300 have it covered

Very close to buying a new 45 myself, I cant afford a 5000 and was just wondering if you guys could tell me if it would be okay in highly mineralized ground. I have never used a GPX before but am favouring it over an sdc as the more coil options seem to make it a better buy?

cheers

Ded Driver said:
Over the last few weeks I have come across a couple of comments about the latest/newer 4500 NOT being (factory) tuned the same as the older 4500's. Specifically, that the older versions are better on deeper gold. Is this a figment of some people's imaginations (& merely settings), or is it true. Have Minelab essentially created a v2, & around when did this occur?? Any thoughts &/or facts anybody?

I think its a myth deddriver,i had an older 4500 that ran
nice and quiet,wife had one of the newer ones,we would compare them sometimes on nuggets and there was no difference,she swings the gpz now so we sold my older 45 and kept her newer one,i think there a bargain at $3500? for a new 45,great detector....

The older ones were very good and I still have mine. If you do some critical listening between them on factory settings, you will see that older ones are a touch louder and maybe a little clearer but don't take that as overall better, so please read on.

On the older 4500s there is an extra hum you can hear when activating Enhance (need good headphones and good hearing) which a lot of people can't hear, but those that are sensitive to high freq sounds can find it annoying. If you match your threshold tone to the hum the two sort of blend.

Now the first thing I noticed during the testing phase on the 5000 was that this hum was less noticeable, but also very faint signals were noticeably a little quieter, but easily offset by increasing your Target Volume by a couple numbers. The changes were necessary to get the best performance out of Fine Gold.
I have listened to the newer 4500 (I'll call this the 45v2) in Enhance vs the 5000 in Enhance and they sound identical to me, which pretty well confirms the 45v2 units are more similar to the 5000s (apart from obvious settings changes).

One point of difference between the older 4500 and the 5000 (and 4500v2) is the target signal is a little "fuller" sounding. It is only very subtle but quite noticeable on targets on the limit of their detectable depth. This is a similar effect to what the SteelPhase Enhancer achieves, and why it marries up nicely to the older 4500, as it beafs up that often fluffy signal response. On the 5000 it is even beefier and you can run the clearer Filter 1 position but I'm getting side tracked.

So overall, if you had an old 4500 on optimum settings vs. a 45v2 on optimum settings, I really doubt you'd see much of a difference. There are very subtle differences but I don't think it's worth worrying about.

The newer 4500's are perhaps a better match with the new spiral wind coils as they just just run nice and stable, very important when using a highly sensitive coil.

Hope that helps.

PhaseTech said:
The older ones were very good and I still have mine. If you do some critical listening between them on factory settings, you will see that older ones are a touch louder and maybe a little clearer but don't take that as overall better, so please read on.

On the older 4500s there is an extra hum you can hear when activating Enhance (need good headphones and good hearing) which a lot of people can't hear, but those that are sensitive to high freq sounds can find it annoying. If you match your threshold tone to the hum the two sort of blend.

Now the first thing I noticed during the testing phase on the 5000 was that this hum was less noticeable, but also very faint signals were noticeably a little quieter, but easily offset by increasing your Target Volume by a couple numbers. The changes were necessary to get the best performance out of Fine Gold.
I have listened to the newer 4500 (I'll call this the 45v2) in Enhance vs the 5000 in Enhance and they sound identical to me, which pretty well confirms the 45v2 units are more similar to the 5000s (apart from obvious settings changes).

One point of difference between the older 4500 and the 5000 (and 4500v2) is the target signal is a little "fuller" sounding. It is only very subtle but quite noticeable on targets on the limit of their detectable depth. This is a similar effect to what the SteelPhase Enhancer achieves, and why it marries up nicely to the older 4500, as it beafs up that often fluffy signal response. On the 5000 it is even beefier and you can run the clearer Filter 1 position but I'm getting side tracked.

So overall, if you had an old 4500 on optimum settings vs. a 45v2 on optimum settings, I really doubt you'd see much of a difference. There are very subtle differences but I don't think it's worth worrying about.

The newer 4500's are perhaps a better match with the new spiral wind coils as they just just run nice and stable, very important when using a highly sensitive coil.

Hope that helps.

that sums it up very nicely thanks Nenad. :Y:

Hello,

Is there a difference between the older 4500 and the newer 4500? Im hoping to purchase this week. Cheers

Latest posts