Minelab GPX series for coin / relic detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LORD

Jay
Reaction score
Ok, so i have been doing well on the goldfeilds with my 4500 but unfortunately i do not live near any known gold areas and i will not have an opportunity to travel to any in the next 6 months due to expecting my first child soon :D
Today i was out for a sunday drive and come across several old ruins of houses and even more exciting ruins of 2 separate lots of tennis courts. I thought these may be ideal for some old coins and things and would like to have a swing since i am out of action for any gold trips.
Will my gpx 4500 be ok to give it a crack? I have a 11" DD but never even put in on my machine yet :eek:
Has anyone had success with this in the past and what timings. I am used to enhance for gold but guessing that may be too sensative around ruins, i have also never turned descrimination on? Spose i use that also :8
Thanks all

Lordy lordy lordy (ha), if it has discriminate, I can only suppose that you do the generalised air testing of targets to see what responses you get during a bench test, that at least will get you a start along the road in seeing how your machine is going to respond to different targets.
read a few of the treasure hunting threads and you will get a bit of a heads up im sure.
Hope this helps in a general way.
Another alternative is to buy a cheap treasure hunting model 2nd hand.
I use an Ace250 myself.
;) :D

Of course you can use it for relic hunting, I've used my 5000 on a few beaches and it punches extremely deep. Old house sites though might be particularly trashy and you may not even be able to get the coil near the ground if there is a lot of small iron and the like in the ground. Try using it in DD mode with the DD coil, also if you are near a city or town you may need to put it from DD mode into cancel mode which will eliminate nearly all EMI.

The discrimination on a 4500/5000 is not very good if there is a lot of junk but if the targets are spaced reasonably appart it should work ok, I'd recommend digging everything though as a 4500 is so sensitive that junk targets could be masking good ones. I ended up just buying a dedicated treasure detector for the discrimination abilities.

Timings to try would be sharp or normal if it is mild soil with low EMI. Hope you get some nice treasure.

Thanks guys. I will play with the settings and give it a crack.
I dont think the misses would like it to much if i bought a second detector :eek: lol.

My aunty and uncle in maclean Nsw.... use a gpx5000 just for coins....and they found a gold sovereign....I have no experience with the gpx.....but i would say yes you can....if its metal it will pick it up...most seasoned detectorists....say dig every signal anyway.. :D

To be honest mate I tried the GPX on a coin patch as they were all deep and not a great deal of iron junk around but the only way I could run it in the suburbs was on cancel which meant it would only get a coin at about 4 inches. And if you could run it in other timings it will overload in really junkie areas and continue to throw your ground balance out. These are just some excuses you can use on your misses to get a coin machine, if you need more just let me know.

Hahaha, i like it :lol: maby i will sell the idea as a new machine will let me do day trips close to home as opposed to week trips away... and shes always asking what i want for xmas :D next time she mentions that bam, new detector for Lord :cool:

For relic hunting yes because relic hunters are often searching for iron objects and the 5000 is very good at that.
As a coin shooter it will drive you nuts hitting on the masses of rubbish in parks and garden soils. A good vlf Gb discriminator is best for coin and jewellery hunting; something like the EQ 600 or 800 is great and they work very very well on the salt beaches.

If you are a dig it all operator then the 5000 will work on the salt beaches. A mono coil will likely get the best depth but a DD will help eliminate iron and EMiI. Most populated beaches are chockers with steel bottle tops, bobby pins, tent pegs and ring pulls and the 5000 will find every one of them on your beach no matter how deep they may be.
The tecta is not waterproof so I would be inclined to stay out of the water.

Just some thoughts, Not gospel.

Latest posts