MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AuMan said:
Just an amendment to the above instructions where I said "Carefully select your spot so your drill is centered between 2 slots"
Should read "Carefully select your spot so your drill is centered in the slot between the ridges"

AuMan

g'day auman
you seem to know abit about the f1a4 detectors, I heard that minelab were trying to buy them all back so there might be a shortage of them soon, just wondering do you know anything about this?
regards tm

Hey Tm,

I have heard similar but who knows, it could just be a rumor, you get many of them in this industry. I think they will only be able to buy the ones that are still to go to auction, not those that have already been sold. There are quite a few people that have bulk lots in storage. I also wonder if it is legal for them to buy them back, as it is my understanding that ex government equipment has to be auctioned off. Its yours and my tax dollars that went into buying them in the first place. I don't work hard to have my money shredded!
I'm quite surprised that they did not buy them back from the word go.
At the end of the day though, many of the people buying these most likely would not go and buy a new one anyway, so by buying them back, they are limiting their own exposure. At least at the moment, those that buy them and like them, might turn around at some point in the future and buy a new flagship model.
The sales of the f1a4's are also generating sales for the aftermarket coil makers which is a good thing as it helps keep them going.

AuMan

AuMan said:
Hey Tm,

I have heard similar but who knows, it could just be a rumor, you get many of them in this industry. I think they will only be able to buy the ones that are still to go to auction, not those that have already been sold. There are quite a few people that have bulk lots in storage. I also wonder if it is legal for them to buy them back, as it is my understanding that ex government equipment has to be auctioned off. Its yours and my tax dollars that went into buying them in the first place. I don't work hard to have my money shredded!
I'm quite surprised that they did not buy them back from the word go.
At the end of the day though, many of the people buying these most likely would not go and buy a new one anyway, so by buying them back, they are limiting their own exposure. At least at the moment, those that buy them and like them, might turn around at some point in the future and buy a new flagship model.
The sales of the f1a4's are also generating sales for the aftermarket coil makers which is a good thing as it helps keep them going.

AuMan

Agreed, I don't believe ML would waste $ buying them back. I've personally purchased a a couple commander coils recently to have options :) more $ for ML..
You've also got to remember that 4-6 months ago, they were selling for a hell of a lot less than they are right now, people were snapping them up like crazy..

hey all
Im new to the prospecting game. Started a year ago just hiring a 5000. I decided to buy my own machine so I could go more often as Ive caught the gold bug!
I didnt want to spend 6 grand just yet so went for a f1a4 modded lvl2.

Lazy trommel you seem to really now wat you are talking about and know alot about the f1a4 hopefully you could enlighten me about my machine. Everyone says how quiet they are to run on hot grnd but its not the case for me. Ive been out twice and cant run it on small gold on freq 1,2,or3 as it signals every now and then when swinging over the ground.Does it a bit on medium setting too. Having to stop very second swing to check if a faint signal repeats can be very slow going. I think it has to do with the grnd balance because if I constantly hold the balance button in while swing it runs quiet but gives me one hell of a sore thumb. tests on my test bits of gold showed it didnt cancel them out.
Its confusing me because it doesnt seem to be consistent, over the same area I needd to turn the gain all the way down then later I can come back with the gain raised and it doesnt seem to be as much of a problem anymore?
Had to run it on large ,timing 3 for it to run anywhere near quiet or wat Id expected it to be like after reading all the talk about the f1a4. Hopefully you could explain these problems and can be fixed. Could it be the crystal oscillator , you said in previous post it related to grnd balance.

Any help would be fantastic
cheers

Hi Flushhunter,

Your machine has a 1 year warranty on it.
Talk to the dealer you bought it off and send it back for a checkup.

AuMan

Some things to try. Wriggle the coil lead where it enters the coil and make sure the detector does not sound off same for the plug end.
Do you have other coils to try with it?
Make sure that the detector does not sound off when you touch the metal body of the coil plug.
Hold the detector still and bump the case, it should make very little to no noise.
Try detecting with the ground balance button disconnected and use the on off switch in the balance position to ground balance and see if that is any different. Detecting with the button held in sounds like a pain!
Try these things first before sending it back so the right bits get fixed. No good sending the control box back if the coil is at fault!

AuMan

hey Auman

I have two coils I bought 12x7 nf and 17x11 nf. Problem was slighlty worse on the 12x7 because I wanted to run on small setting for tinny gold. Used 17x11 mostly. I didnt take the stock coil out bush both times ive been out so I couldnt test that. Doesnt make noise when bumped or touching coil plugs. I tried disconecting the grnd balance but doesnt seem to make much difference.
It grnd balances ok but then when swung over the grnd you get small signals like there are targets on the fringe. Gradually gets worse til you push the grnd balance again and all quiet.
I have sent them an email today hopfully I can just send them control box to be checked/fixed.

Hi Flashunter,

Ok well that eliminates the coil then. Probably best to send just the control box back.

LT, as of late January this year, Jacks L2's had variable gain with a mark for the standard gain setting.

AuMan

AuMan said:
Hi Flashunter,

Ok well that eliminates the coil then. Probably best to send just the control box back.

LT, as of late January this year, Jacks L2's had variable gain with a mark for the standard gain setting.

AuMan

Ah sweet.. then i guess if it were set to the 'default' settings, and it still 'acts' up... then its probably an accessory...

Well it could be a garret pinpointer in his back pocket, but most likely needs to go back for a check up and update to the latest specs.

AuMan

hey guys thanks for all the posts
No pinpionter in my pocket only my 2way and gps.

They contacted me today but missed the call. Will call back monday. Im pritty sure they will help me out, I just thought someone might have had similar problem to help me tell them whats wrong.
Its had for me to explain everything it just wasnt consistant enough to nail down the problem.

thanks again guys is great reading all you chat about the tech of detectors learning heaps. Hope one day to be profesional prospector detecting patches with a dozer, a long way off I know but gotta hav a dream right!

im still an f1a4 enthusiast :p
be good to see some more videos of other f1a4s running in the field to get an idea of what others have, to compare mine. both on a target and just searching, with settings used.

I got mine from Trade Farm Machinery here in Adelaide for $790 in great cond and they said they have plenty ... Good luck

Got my F1A4 back after being modded to Level 2. Now just have to take her out and see how she goes.

Mods include headphone jack, coil jack, Volume and Gain, Search button (timing) for deep, standard and mineralised ground, and Frequency button for Standard, Small or Deep targets. Also controls for Threshold and Tone, and the Ground Balance button on the joystick.

Very excited as now I have a detector I am confident will be capable of finding Gold.

Total cost of detector (I got in early) with mods about $1300 all up so I can not complain. I'm sure ill spend more on accessories but very happy!

Twapster said:
Got my F1A4 back after being modded to Level 2. Now just have to take her out and see how she goes.

Mods include headphone jack, coil jack, Volume and Gain, Search button (timing) for deep, standard and mineralised ground, and Frequency button for Standard, Small or Deep targets. Also controls for Threshold and Tone, and the Ground Balance button on the joystick.

Very excited as now I have a detector I am confident will be capable of finding Gold.

Total cost of detector (I got in early) with mods about $1300 all up so I can not complain. I'm sure ill spend more on accessories but very happy!

Awesome, that gain can be be bit fiddly but makes quite a difference, timings are an awesome addition..

As im new to all these mods would be good if someone can explain them. I'm assuming ill get out there and put everything in standard mode and then just play a little with all the settings. I'm sitting here at home with my nugget collection itching to do some testing but im sure it will be different in the field. Have to try and understand properly what the Timing and Frequency positions will do to my targets, and I guess it also depends on the size of my targets! Have to borrow my mates 100grammer as ive only got sub grammers to test with.

Can't help much, with experience. Only played with a fully modified unit for a couple hours.. F1 has taken a back seat since i got the GP upgraded.

But they are much like the mods done on my 2100 and GP Extreme, I run the gain at around 40-50% to start with, and adjust it up or down try keeping it on the edge of stability..

S-M-L is simple, detect in medium, if you hit a patch, search it in S and L for best coverage..
Timings you've got covered, adjust to ignore ground conditions/hot rocks/etc..

Anyway I'm sure members with more exp will be able to help... Maybe ask Ismael for some recommendations..

Always surprises me that the guys doing the mods never give away much info $-mod-out the door..

Too true, while I got a basic run down I think the experts have assumed knowledge of workings that us mere mortals need to really study up on. Anyway should have a lot of fun playing around with the different settings.

Latest posts