Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HouseholdDog said:
rockdev said:
HouseholdDog said:
By the way if you are looking for a bag to carry it in I bought this from Aussie Disposals.
Caribee Loco 72 (can't post links).

edit: Its all good I found them on mr google.

Just a word of warning, it is a very lightweight bag. Think of it more as a cover and not a bag.

It just fits. But the pole pokes at the edges.

For my 705 I would use a foldable camp chair bag. The over-the-shoulder strap was good for hiking into a remote location but only offered scuff protection in the back of the truck. It rolled up to next to nothing and and I wrapped it around my finds belt when out in the bush.

Will be on the lookout for one of those big-boy chairs to make sure I can fit the NoX and 11" coil in its bag.

No worries.
I think the key to that write up is:
Jonathan Porter said:
ping nuggets with ease in lower mineralized VLF-type areas
I don't see it rivalling the SDC in most mineralised areas but in the right area could give it a run (like other LF machines).
Pretty sure I'm going to get one when they're more available but will be taking in what you blokes that have them already have to say especially in regards to goldfield detecting.

Was it 5"? Or is it like fishermen when they say the fish was 2 foot. (But more 1.5)

For the extra $300, it doesn't make sense at all to buy a GM1000. So if anything will suffer, it will be GM sales.

The SDC, CTX, GPX and GPZ series are all safe from the Equinox, if anything, they would compliment each other when paired up with either.

HouseholdDog said:
Just a word of warning, it is a very lightweight bag. Think of it more as a cover and not a bag.

It just fits. But the pole pokes at the edges.
HouseholdDog.

Okay thanks for the heads up, might look for another alternative.

Wally69 said:
For my 705 I would use a foldable camp chair bag. The over-the-shoulder strap was good for hiking into a remote location but only offered scuff protection in the back of the truck. It rolled up to next to nothing and and I wrapped it around my finds belt when out in the bush.
Wally69.

thanks Wally good idea by the way will look at that as well

cheers guys

Well, another first for me......

Raining here today and the 705 would have not made it outside. Packed the water-friendly NoX, a rain jacket and headed to a local lake to see if I could take the NoX fo a dip to recover some spendables and treasure. :lol:

1519540241_image.jpg

Guys I spoke to my mate today about detectors as I still have made up my mined up what to purchase, I asked him about the GM100 as he works for Minelabs and he recons the Equinox 800 is the best all round detector regarding bang for buck on the market in that price range, due to its multi frequency, I have watch few vids on them and the ground depth is quite impressive, does anyone some first knowledge using 1.

Dean0 said:
Guys I spoke to my mate today about detectors as I still have made up my mined up what to purchase, I asked him about the GM100 as he works for Minelabs and he recons the Equinox 800 is the best all round detector regarding bang for buck on the market in that price range, due to its multi frequency, I have watch few vids on them and the ground depth is quite impressive, does anyone some first knowledge using 1.

No one on the forum has run it out on the goldfields ........ yet

Works well off the goldfields

Heatho said:
Wally69 said:
Well, another first for me......

Raining here today and the 705 would have not made it outside. Packed the water-friendly NoX, a rain jacket and headed to a local lake to see if I could take the NoX fo a dip to recover some spendables and treasure. :lol:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1519540241_image.jpg

Nice work mate, did you try the paddleboard spot we were talking about? Scoring well with the Nox. :Y:

Paddle board bling is still safely tucked away under its sand blanket Heath.

Went to the mouth of the lake, it has been sanded over with the recent wave action, walked back towards the bridge, the water level is high as it can't get away to the ocean, so just did the strip up to my knees.

Could be a bit of local flooding if this rain keeps up, got to be a good couple of metres of sand daming up the lake.

Wally69 said:
bhogg said:
mbasko said:

Wouldve been nice to see what size nuggets he was finding with it to be able to compare it to the gm1000.
But sounds interesting all the same.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/1916/1519550727_image.jpg

Minelab treasure talk photo

Thanks Wally69

So not quite as small and as the gm1000 but in saying that still quite impressive I wasnt expecting it to find em that small.

I must say I am surprised at the size of the gold in the photo, if I spilt my SDC nuggets next to some 6P's, I wouldn't need to photoshop it to make it look much the same.

I had made a comment that the NoX may prove to be an interesting machine with a 6" coil. Looks interesting with an 11" coil, if the photo is a true reflection of its capabilities.

One thing is certain, I will give it a test on some of my SDC patches to see if it has a sweet spot for the gold.

I look forward to your gold tests Wally. I had a brief play with one in a Perth park on the weekend. I was quite impressed at the stability of its target ID compared to the results we got from our 705. There are times when the SDC can't find gold even when we know it's there so perhaps the Equinox is the answer.

Just went on another hint down at St Kilda.

Only got 25c but there was another guy on the beach so it was probably picked clean.

Tested the "change frequency" trick and it certainly works.

For the first 2 hours I dug everything and got a 100% success rate on IDing beer bottle caps. 10 in all.

Later on I only really dug once and it was a 20c.

I was getting a lot of interference though.

I think it may have been from my mobile, but I also took a sand scoop this time.

Will test it again later.

Moneybox said:
I look forward to your gold tests Wally. I had a brief play with one in a Perth park on the weekend. I was quite impressed at the stability of its target ID compared to the results we got from our 705. There are times when the SDC can't find gold even when we know it's there so perhaps the Equinox is the answer.

I agree Moneybox, the word 'threshold' comes to mind, I believe the lack of threshold control and responses to iron on the SDC masks repeatable murmurs to my remnant hearing. Some of the guys I have been out with have inbuilt threshold and iron masking capability in their ears, I have proven this by listening to their identified targets. :rolleyes: :eek: . its not the machine, it's me :mad:

The NoX has the advantage of threshold control and a 11" double D coil and iron reject, perhaps these are the factors that underpin the review. Keen to find out for myself - wish I was still a man of leisure, I would have turned left out of the driveway this morning.

I been doing well with mine, $57.20 Saturday morning my best day on decimal ever!! My first Chinese coin yesterday from a place I hit a lot with the AT pro, turns up coins in all my well hunted spots. If it didn't rain Sunday I would have tried nugget hunting with it, long weekend coming up so I'll try it then. If JP can actually find gold that small with it then I should have no problem at all!!

Latest posts