Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smoky bandit said:
Heatho said:
I've found the Equinox responds to targets better with a brisk swing, not to fast like slashing the grass but brisk overlapping sweeps and you won't miss much. I think using a swing speed that matches the set recovery speed though is the trick.
Yes as heatho said..The higher the recovery speed the faster the swing needs to be :Y: :Y:

Agree with these comments, but the consequence of a higher recovery speed is less depth, so use the lowest recovery speed required for the amount of trash present at each site. Also drop the volume on the iron tone segment so you can swing in AM without being irritated by the constant barrage of ferrous signals, this then increases depth to counteract any higher recovery speed settings. You can also gauge the swing speed necessary as you hear all signals as your coil passes over all targets. :Y:

robmoto said:
Secret Squirrels said:
Hmm. I dont seem to get any 4 times signal when i swing my nox :) Quiet as a church mouse unless it's passing over a target. :D

I was told today I swing it to slow, going out tomorrow with someone in the know to teach me a few things tomorrow, hopefully I will get a better understanding of the 800.
now the pressure is on me , see ya @ 10.30 :Y:

ctxkid said:
robmoto said:
Secret Squirrels said:
Hmm. I dont seem to get any 4 times signal when i swing my nox :) Quiet as a church mouse unless it's passing over a target. :D

I was told today I swing it to slow, going out tomorrow with someone in the know to teach me a few things tomorrow, hopefully I will get a better understanding of the 800.

I thought you were the "CTX Kid" not Mr Nox 8)

You are right,that is a LOT of pressure :lol:

Good luck tomorrow you're going to need it :D

Heatho said:
I've found the Equinox responds to targets better with a brisk swing, not to fast like slashing the grass but brisk overlapping sweeps and you won't miss much. I think using a swing speed that matches the set recovery speed though is the trick.

Thanks Heatho.

ctxkid said:
robmoto said:
Secret Squirrels said:

Limit on those settings Heatho is 18 inches . I had a 2 dollar coin that deep , the Nox picked it up at the edge of its range in that particular area without emi . 3rd page . But I had my pages deleted . Wonder if I can bring em back up

Danny

1532772489_efa67cb3-353e-4963-8549-4a4459e8356b.jpg

1532772490_8f007c92-2f64-4780-bf8f-2fedd478e229.jpg

Minelab Equinox In-Awe-Gural Day.
The Better 1/2 unboxed her new toy yesterday and it was christened today at a local beach.
You may be wondering why Im giving my take on its performance. Its because I was a good boy and she let me have a turn. It did cost me lunch though.
Right from the outset I was ready to send the Nox back to the shop! This machine found literally everything, which meant lotsa digging for me! On the beach in the standard Beach profile if it squeaked then there was something down below. The shepherds staff looking bit of metal in the box (middle left) was some 14 down. The junk jewellery earring (next to the fishing lure) was about 12 down!
The best feature we used was the Pinpoint. Very accurate. More accurate most times than the guy on the shovel.
It was a great day out swingin the coil and well on our way to acquiring the largest ring pull collection ever seen ;-)

Seems the only ones there before were fishos with butter fingers. The local butcher came over for a chat as hed just bought the Nox too. Offered me a sausage & a rissole for the lure. Lol.
I actually found that lure twice! Missus didnt know shed dropped it and I thought Id uncovered a lure spill.

Nice test run. The nox is sure good for building up the digging muscles! If you get sick of digging up bottle caps there's a trick to test out suspect signals. hit the all metal button and pump the coil up and down over the target. if it's a bottle cap the target ID will jump from positive to negative and back. if the ID changes very little it's probably something good.

Thanks for the tip Dave79. Ill give it a go. Well most likely be returning to these areas again during peak tourist times so probably wont hurt to clean up some yobbo trash.

The Scrounger said:
ctxkid said:
robmoto said:
Secret Squirrels said:

I thought you were the "CTX Kid" not Mr Nox 8)

You are right,that is a LOT of pressure :lol:

Good luck tomorrow you're going to need it :D

it came home with him, so he must have learnt something 8) 8)

he was ready to break it earlier in the week :mad: :mad:

he and the nox are slowly teaming :cool: :cool: :cool:

I would have done the deal Woz, :p providing the snag and rissole were cooked :Y:
Wozza the rock dog said:
Seems the only ones there before were fishos with butter fingers. The local butcher came over for a chat as hed just bought the Nox too. Offered me a sausage & a rissole for the lure. Lol.
I actually found that lure twice! Missus didnt know shed dropped it and I thought Id uncovered a lure spill.

Secret Squirrels said:
I would have done the deal Woz, :p providing the snag and rissole were cooked :Y:
Wozza the rock dog said:
I aint jumpin in on the first offer. Im gunna let him think it over and see if I can get an extra snag.

Tip#

When locating a nice sounding target that registers on 1 on the depth scale, just use your handheld pin pointer to confirm it is indeed a shallow target. If it is not picked up by your pin pointer (Minelab Pro Find 35 at full strength) then it will be 99% likely a can at depth confusing the Multi IQ and depth readings.

Let me know if this helps

Rick

Hi Folks,

Just picked up the 6 coil late this afternoon. Even though it was blowing a gale, I thought Id run it over a mullock heap that Id worked thoroughly with the 11 coil and the SDC. Was surprised to get a signal after about two minutes in an area that had produced a number of small gold pieces. The signal was quite good. After a couple of scrapes, a very, very small piece popped out.
1533549913_0c40c635-dc95-4a2b-8cc4-1c10be4dd4d2.jpg

When I cleaned the gold, it would not register on my scales. It is by far the smallest nugget that Ive recovered with a detector. Ended up getting a couple of extra pieces. Both signals were double checked with the SDC before digging.
1533550084_16cb1f36-6b74-4bfd-8550-14e763fdc68f.jpg

The final result: Equinox- 3 pieces, SDC- 0. (Not a true indication as the Equinox was used first and the SDC would have picked up two of them). All the pieces were shallow (under an inch deep) The coil worked well. Was able to scrub it on the ground with only some falsing. Looks like it may be a top choice for small shallow gold in mild country. Will keep playing and let you know how it performs.

Cheers

Les

That's pretty good going Les, I got my 6" coil last Friday and hoping to use it after work this Friday around Ararat on the Nox 600, great to see your results as it gives me confidence to persist until finding a piece.

I have to traverse some very rough and steep terrain next week. So for the first time in a long time I will not be partnering with the GPZ. :-(
The 6" Coil on the Equinox is a sniper. Amazing power for such a light machine and small coil.
It will be our first true gold prospecting adventure on promising ground.

Hopefully this is the start of something special.

...I can afford another NOX if I break it, not so much another GPZ. :D

Latest posts