Minelab Equinox tips and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HoudiniHarry said:
That is a nice coil. Let us know how it performs.

Cheers

Will do. Did some home tests and it seems to be the goods. Will know for sure after running it over some hot ground. I expect it will perform well.

600 backlight :rolleyes: is useless in my opinion being way too bright.

Using it totally ruins your night vision instantly making you vunerable to anything and everything because you can't see a thing 8)

So it goes without saying I don't use it,maybe some kind of stick on filter might work.

Anyway happy to not use it as if I have a choice :/

But saying that the Equinox is a fantastic machine,maybe too good.

Equinox 600 :Y:

No, all the processing software in a treasure detector is different to a gold detector. Gold monster for gold and equinox for coins/relics

rockdev said:
Guys do you think the Equinox 800 with the 6 inch coil would be similar in performance to a GM 1000?

It could be. Wait a month or so an we will all know for sure. From tests I have done so far looks very promising.
I would not be surprised if it is.

Dave79 said:
No, all the processing software in a treasure detector is different to a gold detector. Gold monster for gold and equinox for coins/relics

So what processing software does the Equinox use in Gold Mode? I think that is what makes the Equinox unique, it covers all aspects. It isn't the best, but it does it all.

Plus an 800 with the 6inch coil will set you back 1500, which is not cheaper than a GM1000. So I would not be at all surprised if it performs on par with the GM or better.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Dave79 said:

So what processing software does the Equinox use in Gold Mode? I think that is what makes the Equinox unique, it covers all aspects. It isn't the best, but it does it all.

Plus an 800 with the 6inch coil will set you back 1500, which is not cheaper than a GM1000. So I would not be at all surprised if it performs on par with the GM or better.
I'm open to confirmation but the way I see it you can only get so much technology in a certain size and priced package and if you want target descrimination and fast recovery speed you have to sacrifice something. One of my mates has just received a 6 inch coil for his equinox so his results this weekend will be interesting.

Depends on gold type etc but piece for piece the Nox is killing it.
Went to flogged ground, the type that vlf should never dare to tread before the Nox opened my eyes.
I've spent hours with the GMT and a few more with the Monster. I'm no tester but no mug. The Nox still came through.
Smashed every pipe clay mound in the district I knew either had gold or could have gold. Has been overwhelmingly productive.
I'm not giving the game away but anyone prepared to put time in might just figure out the keys that unlock the Nox, in much the same way the Monster and the GMT opened up previously.
It's underrated, but I'm sure there's some blokes swinging a new breed and staying real quiet out there. I know I've waved a few curious fellows away.
In the right places it's a giant killer. Enough said.

Cheers.

I must be in one of the wrong places. Highly mineralized with massive amounts of iron, copper and chromium to name a few. Mine sounds like an alarm clock when i swing it in gold mode here. If anyone has any tips to reduce ghost signals would be greatly appreciated.

hAyyoUinAU said:
Dave79 said:

People should not be too ready to dismiss the Equinox because if it has the GM Gold program then the only real difference will be the frequency that it uses and in hotter ground the EQ should behave better than the GM, We Have seen other brands do this and in those conditions the lower frequency versions start to pull ahead,

The EQ is no CTX and it is no GM, But it does have the edge over both machines in certain situations.

EDIT:- When running the EQ on it's highest frequency it will be very heard to tell the difference in small Gold ability when the EQ is fitted with the small coil compared to the GM, yes there will be a difference but very little,

hope that helps.

J.

The Scrounger said:
600 backlight :rolleyes: is useless in my opinion being way too bright.

Using it totally ruins your night vision instantly making you vunerable to anything and everything because you can't see a thing 8)

So it goes without saying I don't use it,maybe some kind of stick on filter might work.

Anyway happy to not use it as if I have a choice :/

But saying that the Equinox is a fantastic machine,maybe too good.

Equinox 600 :Y:
I wonder if a stick on red filter will help?
I use a Zebralight H502r which is great and the red doesn't affect our eye's natural night vision, it makes identifying gold from lead harder but as a screen filter it might be better than the current back light?

The 800 backlight is like a spotlight when on highest setting I couldn't use it like that..The first setting is much better.. :Y:
Cant the 600 be turnt down.

Smoky bandit said:
The 800 backlight is like a spotlight when on highest setting I couldn't use it like that..The first setting is much better.. :Y:
Cant the 600 be turnt down.

The STUPID manual states quote - the Equinox 600 has TWO SETTINGS - On and OFF = Comedians :/ and the 800 has quote 4 settings including off.

Off IS NOT as setting I think you would agree :rolleyes:

Anyway thank God you don't need it,just use an adjustable head touch or your ears :eek:

Still a fabulous machine either way you look at it :Y:

Latest posts