Minelab Equinox 900

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi does anyone know if the equity noxious 900 detector is any good
And how to use it first time trying soon I hope
Gary

equity noxious 900 detector

The Equity Noxious - bloody autocorrect I dare say? 🤣

For more physical reasons they are an improvement on the 800. I think from a technical side of things are very similar.

They will find gold but they are a VLF and will struggle in some mineralised soils that a P.I. will breeze in.

How to use? Stick it in Gold Mode, leave it in defaults, don't turn the Sensitivity up too high or it will likely false and be noisy, play with it for a good 20-30 hours before starting to change too many settings.

Roughly where are you intending to go? NSW? W.A?

For more physical reasons they are an improvement on the 800. I think from a technical side of things are very similar.

They will find gold but they are a VLF and will struggle in some mineralised soils that a P.I. will breeze in.

How to use? Stick it in Gold Mode, leave it in defaults, don't turn the Sensitivity up too high or it will likely false and be noisy, play with it for a good 20-30 hours before starting to change too many settings.

Wa in rnr days

Hi NE, I have recently got a 900. Love the ergonomics but am puzzled by the performance. I have only put 10 hrs on it - about 2hrs playing in my test bed & the rest in a trashy minesite. Default settings on Gold1 & 2.

1) I am using both the 6" and the 10x5 DD Coiltek and in moderate ground I am having to turn the sensitivity (1-28) down to 12 to stop it carrying on like a pork chop, but when I do that it doesnt go as deep as my single 60Hz Gold Kruzer with the 9.5x5.5DD. When I put it back to 18 then it does go deeper but is unusably noisy.

2) The target ID numbers are all over the place :
a) with constant coil height above ground, target ID bounces an easy +/-10 units. If that spread is over the 0 ID mark then you get crappy chopped audio as it blanks the -ves.

b) horrifically, with a 0.5g nugget it reads -ve ie ferrous from 200mm to about 50mm above target then moves to 50 by the time you are nearly touching coil. Same deal with other small nuggets - they read -ve until you get under 50mm away. This is depth through slate slabs

c) large iron and washers still come up as non ferrous eg an oil filter was 36 and a washer 10. This is no diff to the Makro but I thought that Multi-IQ was supposed to be much better at ferrous discrim than single freq. I am not seeing it so far.

This means that I HAVE to run the 900 in All Metal mode ( horseshoe) ( which to be honest I prob would anyway ) but it also means that IDs are basically useless. This cant be right as the whole point of a VLF for gold is discrimination.

I know more time swinging is needed but any tips to shorten the learning curve appreciated.

Last edited:
any tips to shorten the learning curve appreciated.
Hi XLOOX.

I don't have a 900 so I'm sorry but can't really offer much. My suggestions above were based off the 800 and what are pretty good default settings on it.

Have a look at a thread here and similar issues seem to be arising with very experienced users re: ID instability, chatter, unable to use much sensitivity, etc. https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/23568-new-minelab-blues/#comments

Would like to think that Minelab might be working on an update to fix a few of those things but they are often pretty slow with them.

Hope you get it sorted. Trying a Factory Reset is always worth a try if you haven't already.

👍

Hi NE, I have recently got a 900. Love the ergonomics but am puzzled by the performance. I have only put 10 hrs on it - about 2hrs playing in my test bed & the rest in a trashy minesite. Default settings on Gold1 & 2.

1) I am using both the 6" and the 10x5 DD Coiltek and in moderate ground I am having to turn the sensitivity (1-28) down to 12 to stop it carrying on like a pork chop, but when I do that it doesnt go as deep as my single 60Hz Gold Kruzer with the 9.5x5.5DD. When I put it back to 18 then it does go deeper but is unusably noisy.

2) The target ID numbers are all over the place :
a) with constant coil height above ground, target ID bounces an easy +/-10 units. If that spread is over the 0 ID mark then you get crappy chopped audio as it blanks the -ves.

b) horrifically, with a 0.5g nugget it reads -ve ie ferrous from 200mm to about 50mm above target then moves to 50 by the time you are nearly touching coil. Same deal with other small nuggets - they read -ve until you get under 50mm away. This is depth through slate slabs

c) large iron and washers still come up as non ferrous eg an oil filter was 36 and a washer 10. This is no diff to the Makro but I thought that Multi-IQ was supposed to be much better at ferrous discrim than single freq. I am not seeing it so far.

This means that I HAVE to run the 900 in All Metal mode ( horseshoe) ( which to be honest I prob would anyway ) but it also means that IDs are basically useless. This cant be right as the whole point of a VLF for gold is discrimination.

I know more time swinging is needed but any tips to shorten the learning curve appreciated.
Just curious, were you in Multi?? I have often found 40 or 20 kHz to be the better option when the ground is too hot. Will give you more consistent results.

I was in Multi. I have been over those areas with 5 other detectors previously and at same time as testing the 900 and would class the ground as varying between mild to medium mineralisation.

Sent the 900 to Minelab who said " it performed same as our reference detector" without answering my specifc questions, which alarmed me but they also offered a full refund, which confused me, so I took it and promptly bought a new 800, which probably confused them :)

I just wasnt willing to take a chance on another 900 & btw the 800 works fine :)

Last edited:

Latest posts