Minelab detector service and customer service

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jim 8 said:
Hi all
just to let all know that I sent a minelab 4000 in to have a check and find out problem only to be told that they do not look at this model as they do not carry parts. No suggestion of caring or where I might at least have some one have a look at it, (ABSOLUTELY NO CLASS) It could be a loose wire or something very simple they can make all the excuses they want (no parts - discontinued stock) But not to look at it :N:
Maybe all the technicians familiar with those machines have retired or passed on :rolleyes: :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

i would not have expected minelab to still service a device that old
It must be 8 to 10 years old

And to say these guys have no class just because they gave you the facts is a little harsh honestly I have found their service and advice spot on

Cheers

Yes I joined to day and yes I am venting but it was to let you know what to expect if someone had the same problem. it is an old machine 11 years old
and what do i expect from minelab - Not to disown one of their products
a phone call - an email- even to just look at the 4000- or some help where i might get it fixed - is that to much to ask I don,t believe that is to much to ask do you

Hey Jim, if its any consolation I would have expected more from Minelab. But maybe i dont subscribe to the throw away consumerism that is the norm these days...

I feel your pain mate, Minelab are the obvious people to ask about their own detectors, but don't you think it would have been smarter to have phoned them first and discussed the problem you were having?

They're between a rock and a hard place themselves I guess, as all electronics-based gear is dependent on components that may not be available long-term and modern surface-mounted circuit boards aren't very amenable to repair work anyway. Like it or not, our modern detectors aren't going to be around for as long as the older ones were, if spare parts aren't available and they're not economical/practical to work on.

Maybe if you told us what part of the country you're from, somebody here might know a local techo who could have a look at the 4000 for you.

Thanks Gizmo
I appreciate your understanding it was men,t as a constructive criticisms . I talked to Ismael Jones and he was shocked that they no longer repaired the 4000 so I guess it is not common knowledge. It is funny how some people treat a new member

FFS the 4000 didn't have old fashioned valves in it. I would be highly surprised if the resistors transistors etc were not able to be replaced with an alternative.
Sounds like Minelab couldn't be bothered fixing old stuff, just too hard and not enough money in it for them.
I get that, I run a business too, when I'm not interested in someone's work I politely handball them onto someone else who would want that work, that way they think I'm being helpful, they get the result they are after and everyone is happy.
All they needed to do is pass you onto an aftermarket repairer, surely they know a few.

Looks like they have drawn a line in the sand.
They still quote on their website that machines will be serviceable for at least 5 years after they are discontinued. That's pretty reasonable I reckon & in the past they've done machines well over that.
It would be good if there was more info around on who might be able to tackle repairs on older machine - might be a good thread on here? Most that I have known of seem to do it more as an extension of the hobby rather than an actual business though & Minelab have rarely (if at all) recommended anyone else.

mbasko said:
Looks like they have drawn a line in the sand.
They still quote on their website that machines will be serviceable for at least 5 years after they are discontinued. That's pretty reasonable I reckon & in the past they've done machines well over that.
It would be good if there was more info around on who might be able to tackle repairs on older machine - might be a good thread on here? Most that I have known of seem to do it more as an extension of the hobby rather than an actual business though & Minelab have rarely (if at all) recommended anyone else.
Yeah, that's why I don't understand why older machines command decent prices, it's a real gamble spending $1000-1500 on an older model and to be told it can't be fixed, that's why I bought a new 4500 when looking at a beeping stick.

Once they're unserviceable it's a real deal breaker for me unless very cheap.
Jeez doesn't seem so long ago though I had a SD2200 serviced but then I don't think any components needed changing just a tune up. It's a shame but I can understand them not wanting to replenish parts for obsolete machines though.
Really pays to ring first before sending in now. They may still fix some issues?
I don't think the white paint over everything makes them real easy for a lot of technicians outside of Minelab to work on either.

This conversation is becoming a bit out of hand and maybe its partly my fault for not fully explaining
I did ring minelab beforehand and told the switch girl that i was sending the 4000 in for repair and she told me to write a cover letter i did it because i was advised to do it by an Brian - x minelab parramatta who was a gentleman and very helpful. As far as i knew and every body i spoke to before and after the event this was news to them. I also owned my own business and as Occasional_panner said I would try to help a customer if i could by giving him helpful advice
Thank you for those who had good intentions with there comments and those with bad intentions read your own rules
Jim Brown

A shot in the dark here but maybe try their biggest outlets direct. Surely that will determine Minelabs stance on the subject of older machines. I find it odd the local guys took my 3500 in (2or3?) years ago and gave it a clean bill of health....? Getting fixed somewhere might be better than not at all if you could figure logistics out.

As an aside it's not surprising if they take that stance, for 2 reasons. Planned obsolescence makes $, there's more in selling a new one. The second is Coden aquiring Minelab, there has been a host of changes some which have not sat well with me. Interesting there was a Mexican Standoff with one of the regional suppliers here, the proprietor gave me his side of the story. Now these gents have been long time supporters (right up to owning several GPZs personally) and we'll the end result was cancelation of outlet rights. Further interest was peaked when I walked into a place not more than 100km away that had only stocked Garret and low and behold here is a full range of minelab products and machines stacked the roof beside the Garrett display...... :eek:

Now deduce what you like from that, unfortunately for Minelab the guy on the particular day had zero idea what he was talking about when it came to their products and hadn't even heard of the Equinox, let alone knowing if and when preorders could be taken. I doubt he had ever even switched one on. Stark contrast ,but proof the nature of all things minelab might be starting to be more of a focus on the dollars than the end user.

Whatever happens I hope you find a solution.

jim 8 said:
This conversation is becoming a bit out of hand and maybe its partly my fault for not fully explaining
I did ring minelab beforehand and told the switch girl that i was sending the 4000 in for repair and she told me to write a cover letter i did it because i was advised to do it by an Brian - x minelab parramatta who was a gentleman and very helpful. As far as i knew and every body i spoke to before and after the event this was news to them. I also owned my own business and as Occasional_panner said I would try to help a customer if i could by giving him helpful advice
Thank you for those who had good intentions with there comments and those with bad intentions read your own rules
Jim Brown

By the way, welcome to Prospecting Australia, Jim. :Y:

Sorry about some of the ornery old prospectors' comments above - we're a grouchy lot sometimes. :8
Been out in the sun too long, mebbe. :rolleyes:

jim 8 said:
Jim Brown

Jim I think the problem may be and the key to it all is "The switchboard girl" I have always had a great result from Minelab with some incredible results ....................... even a $5000 dollar machine sent out to me on trust value to return the other back AFTER I had received the new one plus several other great looked after to the utmost episodes.
The only thing I could offer up is go to the top as the old saying as crude as it sounds don't talk to the shite if you can talk to the shovel applies maybe ?
Good luck with it and maybe call minelab and ask to speak to a repair tech ?
:Y:

Latest posts