Military Button

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out the origin of a military button I found a couple of months back. Below is some information that I have on it so far.
Any help would be appreciated.

1360829893_military_button.jpg

googled up Australia Air Force buttons and clicked on second listing down....shows a pic of one the same for sale on ebay but doesn't say what it is....Cheers Wal. :)

Cheers Wal.

Its says in the eBay listing Era: 1950s which is consistent with the area where I found it. $12 for 5 of them suggests to me it was a just a run of the mill button :rolleyes:

Could advertise it as a ...special button... from the secret .." Flying Duck " squadron.......lol..Cheers Wal. :)

That button is a coat button for the thick overcoat, the buttons from 1940 to 1956 were black or matt black and after that were brass coloured. If you can see any makers stamp on the back it will then give you more details of it's production date. This button ended up both here and in England because of Australians travelling to England to enlist and at wars end bringing their uniforms back with them. There was a run of buttons made by a Melbourne firm from 1943 to 1946 and 1950 to 1955 (air cadets).

If the button is leather covered it would be WW1 or just after.

Bob.

Kings crown was used after Queen Victoria died 1901 ... Until Queen Elizabeth II was crowed in 1953.

There are some great articles about British Crowns and Monograms to be found on the net.

The Duck was spot on when he quoted the back mark and the years the company were producing buttons.

Not all WWI RFC buttons were leather and this design is early RAF. Try looking up Royal Flying Corps, Royal Naval Air Service (Believe it or not they recycled trenches at Gallipoli) and the Royal Air Force. Aussies served in all three until the RAAF was established.

Cheers

Really enjoyed the find

Latest posts