Micro-highbanker

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Question for the NSW prospectors.

Are you allowed to use your highbanker at home, in your own backyard?
Are you allowed to use a tub of water under that highbanker in your backyard, being recirculated by a little 12 volt pump?

If you can't use Mechanical means (electrical, or petrol) in a creek or river when highbanking in NSW, but it is legal to recirculate a tub of water at home is it legal to recirculate your own water brought in from home if you set your highbanker up with a recirculating tank and a 12 volt pump, slightly away from the creek edge?
In this way you are not using water from the creek or river, and would be the same as if you recirculated at home. The only difference is the address you are recirculating at.

Feel free to correct me if lm wrong but that would be a recirculating sluice if your working at home with a tub of water and should be completely legal.

The argument against highbankers is meant to be because of turbidity caused to waterways so not applicable to recirculating systems.

I wouldn't want to try it out in the field though even though l can't think of an augment against it. As always the legislation is not written in an easy to understand way unfortunately so a lot of it just comes down to the view of the person inspecting and even if you think your right its unlikely to be worth fighting a fine in court.

Dragon Man said:
If you can't use Mechanical means (electrical, or petrol) in a creek or river when highbanking in NSW, but it is legal to recirculate a tub of water at home is it legal to recirculate your own water brought in from home if you set your highbanker up with a recirculating tank and a 12 volt pump, slightly away from the creek edge?
If you are not causing damage that the restriction was introduced to prevent , then it makes sense what you are saying.
Nobody wants the creek to be turned from pristine to shit.
seems ludicrous to say you can't smash the creek with a highbanker , but you can with a river sluice - smashed is smashed.
I have seen how dirty the water is after a days panning , and if I was a water living creature I would be unhappy.

If harm is being done then the harm needs to be prevented.
I guess the idea of highbanker bans is to minimize the harm done.
So in that case , your argument Dragon Man seems to overcome the legal issue , but does not overcome the moral issue of prospecting.

moeee said:
Dragon Man said:
If you are not causing damage that the restriction was introduced to prevent , then it makes sense what you are saying.
Nobody wants the creek to be turned from pristine to shite.
seems ludicrous to say you can't smash the creek with a highbanker , but you can with a river sluice - smashed is smashed.
I have seen how dirty the water is after a days panning , and if I was a water living creature I would be unhappy.

If harm is being done then the harm needs to be prevented.
I guess the idea of highbanker bans is to minimize the harm done.
So in that case , your argument Dragon Man seems to overcome the legal issue , but does not overcome the moral issue of prospecting.
He's talking about using water in a tub at home that can then be thrown on the garden or lawn or whatever, not going back into the waterways so no absolutely no environment harm whatsoever.
As for water turbidity causing harm to the environment, generally speaking this isn't the case. The fish already have to deal with these conditions with every flood, but check out the amount of fish that follow people using dredges overseas. Small fish feed on all the tiny creatures living in the sediment so this is generally beneficial to the system and it also washes gravel which can be good for the spawning of some species.
Indeed some rivers in California became less healthy after they banned dredging because the sediments built up(in part this is likely because so much less water flows through many waterways due to irrigation so natural river flows no longer exist).

Latest posts