Metal Detector Question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Newby here ! have purchased a metal detector from Kogan 3010 /GC-1010 no name brand ;

Has anyone used one ! and any luck ?

Am I wasting my time with this item as compared to the Mine Lab units it was a cheap alternative , have not tried this yet waiting for warmer weather .

What is the best unit to buy for a Newby from the Mine Lab Range or other brand so I can save my pennies .

Regards
bear0001

It would depend on what type of detecting you are planning on doing... gold or coin hunting.
if it's gold the expenses will be higher because of the types of machines available for that purpose and their pricing range.
If it's coin hunting you can practice with your kogan and research some other detectors as you go.
If you post photo's of your finds as you go (on here) some of the old hands will offer you different advice to help you pick up your game and become a good detectorist who takes care of the environment as you move along your learning curve, as well as which detectors will fit your price range and do the job you want them too.
welcome aboard. :D

Thank you Silver

I am looking at gold , will try and read as many posts I can as there seems to be a lot of valuable information for the beginner and professional
I hope to meet up one day

bear0001 : :goldpan:

righto.....I have played with the Kogan detector and to answer your question directly...you are wasting your time using it to find small gold. It will certainly find larger targets at or near the surface but I doubt you will be detecting in areas that may still contain them. On the positive side though.....get in and use it...it will be a great way to see if you even like metal detecting. Many people take up the hobby....spend lots of money and find out that it aint for them...this is a good way to see if you like it before you spend bigger money on a detector that is more capable. I hope that is of some help.

Latest posts