Maths problem to solve while sitting around the campfire?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booney said:
My guess would be 3,3,3,3,3,3 . ? But I can see that the mouse Could stay in 4,5 or 1,2
Next guess, It would be a high probability of the mouse being in the middle 3 boxs 2,3,4
So 2,3,4,2,3,4 ??????
Thats all I got mind blown .
But you're quite correct Booney :Y:
Either 234234, 432432, 234234 or 432234 would always work.
234 or 432 always works for when the mouse was in the even box within the first 3 moves. If the mouse was in an odd box, it might not have worked, but after those first three moves, you know the mouse is now in an even box, so repeating one of those sequences MUST work.
Over to whomever.........

OK:
The answer is, drum roll please9! Remember PEMDAS? The order goes Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication Division, Addition and Subtraction. The reason this simple equation has people confused is because of the way people interpret PEMDAS. Just because a number touches a parentheses, 2(1+2), does not mean that it should be multiplied before the division, 62(1+2), to the left of it. According to PEMDAS, you have to solve for what is inside the parentheses, then exponents, then multiplication, then division, but most importantly, "from left to right in the order both operations appear." As a result, after you solve everything inside of the parentheses, and floating from left to right. Therefore, 62(1+2) = 62x(1+2) = 62x3 = 3x3 = 9.

I'm buggered If I know-couldn't work it out either.

BigWave said:
Booney said:
My guess would be 3,3,3,3,3,3 . ? But I can see that the mouse Could stay in 4,5 or 1,2
Next guess, It would be a high probability of the mouse being in the middle 3 boxs 2,3,4
So 2,3,4,2,3,4 ??????
Thats all I got mind blown .
But you're quite correct Booney :Y:
Either 234234, 432432, 234234 or 432234 would always work.
234 or 432 always works for when the mouse was in the even box within the first 3 moves. If the mouse was in an odd box, it might not have worked, but after those first three moves, you know the mouse is now in an even box, so repeating one of those sequences MUST work.
Over to whomever.........

My head is really hurting now 8.( your 1st and 3rd examples are the same :( I knew there was more than 1 correct answer :) and I still stand by my answer :p :power:

Over to you Booney :beer: well done :perfect:

Jaros said:
OK:
The answer is, drum roll please9! Remember PEMDAS? The order goes Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication Division, Addition and Subtraction. The reason this simple equation has people confused is because of the way people interpret PEMDAS. Just because a number touches a parentheses, 2(1+2), does not mean that it should be multiplied before the division, 62(1+2), to the left of it. According to PEMDAS, you have to solve for what is inside the parentheses, then exponents, then multiplication, then division, but most importantly, "from left to right in the order both operations appear." As a result, after you solve everything inside of the parentheses, and floating from left to right. Therefore, 62(1+2) = 62x(1+2) = 62x3 = 3x3 = 9.

I'm buggered If I know-couldn't work it out either.

:lol:

Righto I'll throw up a quick one.

10 horses have qualified to start in a race where there's only 9 stalls available how is it possible.

It's possible no two worries about it I've even put money on it and won :)

Well wasn't as quick as I 1st thought so here's 3 answer

Drum roll :lol: I'll be right back in the morning :lol:

Ten horses is 9 letters so one letter goes into each stall...if I'm correct I'm passing on putting the next brain teaser up.....I'd rather sit around the campfire and talk :poop:
than try and figure out any problems ..other than where to find a big nuggie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anniegee said:
Ten horses is 9 letters so one letter goes into each stall...if I'm correct I'm passing on putting the next brain teaser up.....I'd rather sit around the campfire and talk :poop:
than try and figure out any problems ..other than where to find a big nuggie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spot on Anniegee :clap: My interest in the thread is purely because I'm not sitting around a fire :beer:

Righto Booney it's your turn :beer:

Ok heres an easy one .

5 + 5 + 5 = 550

Add only one line to make this correct

Latest posts