Maths problem to solve while sitting around the campfire?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, here's an arithmetic one. What's the missing number?

1602567317_puzzle.1.jpg

Think its 12 . Could be wrong ?
At first thought 15 and subtraction but the 7 didnt make sense . Knowing 15 was wrong and 7 was right , using the arrows worked backwards from the 7 and there it was . Anyone else see it ? :cool:

Congrats Booney - it's 12
It's a sneaky puzzle because subtraction works all the way to the bottom line, then fails.
I've not seen anyone get it right on the first go.
Back to you..........

Happy to pass to anyone else who can see the solution . My brain hurts :lol:

Can you please explain how it is 12, Im struggling to make it work, I must be missing something. (Im missing more than I get lately)

BigWave said:
Congrats Booney - it's 12
It's a sneaky puzzle because subtraction works all the way to the bottom line, then fails.
I've not seen anyone get it right on the first go.
Back to you..........

Thanks for the explanation but it doesn't help me and a few others by the looks of it. Can you please provide the formula I've wasted too much time on this this morning :argh:

1602638750_e192db57-da4a-4ecd-b99c-6388dadde048.jpg

Ok look at the bottom line
13 with an arrow pointing to 7
and 21 with an arrow pointing to 7
So somehow these numbers need to end up equaling 7
So only way is
1 + 3 = 4. 2+1= 3

4+3=7
Now do all the other lines and you will see how I got to 12
So. 21. 36

?

2+1=3. 3+6=9

3+9=12
The thing with these puzzles is there is always a simple trick not always plain to see but once seen , seams simple

Onya Booney :beer: had you not explained the formula I would have taken a bloody long time to get there :lol:

Latest posts