Maryborough Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

Been on here for about a year but first post. Ive been doing a bit of research on the forums, and I know its been asked before but wanted to get the latest info. Im taking my son up to Maryborough next weekend. We are getting a lesson and some practical instruction in the local area, then heading back the next day to hire the same gear and try ourselves.
Obviously we could go back to the same spot but i wanted to ask about other good spots accessible by a normal sedan. Ive looked at some of the gold maps etc but just wanted that extra tip, which road to take, walk a couple of hundred metres etc....Not asking for anyone's honey hole but just a bit of extra info i cant get from the maps?

Thanks for any help.

Mick C

The same spot as where you were taken for the lesson would be a good start, they must have felt that there may be some gold in the area to give it a try, from my time looking around the Maryborough area most of the areas are accessible by normal sedan and then walking will get you into some good areas, any gold will be where you find it and no one is going to give an exact location, we have found it in some places where others have not looked as it was still there, but it is not there now as we are keeping it warm at home, it is up to you as to how much effort you want to put in, we have done well along the Chadwick Track, it is not too far out of town and is suitable for normal car, it is a long track and is a matter of trying different places until you are able to walk over some gold. Good luck.

Graham

We have only just arrived back home from a holiday in the GT and this is what we found during that trip, a total of 7.81 grams, but there have been many trips where there was nothing.

1569798845_dscf1867.jpg

Had a great weekend in Maryborough. Enjoyed the day long Coiltek tour, the guide was a great bloke and learnt quite a bit. Spent the better part of the next day on the Chadwick track but like most newbies, found a lot of shot pellets, .22 cal bullets, nails etc. Didn't dampen the spirits though and my son and I are planning the next trip.
We used the SD C2300 but id like to try the GPX5000 next time and will study the maps a bit closer. Not sure if there is a right area to prospect on with all the trails out there or just keep walking around in the bush, we tried a few spots off the Chadwick track but being green we questioned whether we were in a good spot or not. Plenty more to learn.
If anyone is detecting around the outer east (Warrandyte) and wants some free labour, let me know?

Mick

Mick, If you are using the 8 inch coil on the 2300, you are not going to cover a lot of area, better off going to the 5000 with more ground coverage on the standard coil, slightly bigger coil will cover more area 14 x 9 is a good size if affordable, that is what it is all about covering more ground until you find something, you have to walk over it and the more ground you cover the greater the chance, when you have found a bit if gold then use the 2300 to make sure that you are covering the area to get all you can. We have done fairly well along the various areas of the Chadwick, but not every time have we found something.

Graham

Picked up a secondhand GPX 4500 yesterday,have replaced the shaft and added some gear, so pretty keen to get back out. Will try another area in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts