Maryborough Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all
Not long returned to the Uk from a successful prospecting trip to WA, so now officially having gold fever have booked a flight to Melbourne in October to spend a few week detecting in the golden triangle, will be basing myself in Maryborough and will have transport.

Would be grateful for some pointers of general areas to start and areas to avoid and settings suitable for the GPX5000 in Victorian gold fields.

Yours Leigh

christian1664 said:
Hello all
Not long returned to the Uk from a successful prospecting trip to WA, so now officially having gold fever have booked a flight to Melbourne in October to spend a few week detecting in the golden triangle, will be basing myself in Maryborough and will have transport.

Would be grateful for some pointers of general areas to start and areas to avoid and settings suitable for the GPX5000 in Victorian gold fields.

Yours Leigh
I live in Maryborough, so please feel free to message me.

Hi Patrick
Thanks for the reply, am really just after some general info on a reasonable area to start on rather than randomly walking into the woods lol, have been trying to get the gold atlas of Victoria but it seems to be totally unavailable in the UK, Will be staying for a Month so I expect to try a few different areas and see how I get on, As I said not long back from a trip to WA which I loved

Leigh

christian1664 said:
Hi Patrick
Thanks for the reply, am really just after some general info on a reasonable area to start on rather than randomly walking into the woods lol, have been trying to get the gold atlas of Victoria but it seems to be totally unavailable in the UK, Will be staying for a Month so I expect to try a few different areas and see how I get on, As I said not long back from a trip to WA which I loved

Leigh
Everthing around Maryborough is a reasonable place to start. That's the hard part. Where to start? I've found yella 5 minutes from My front door. Just too many places.

Leigh the best maps of the GOLDEN TRIANGLE are John Tully maps they are sold at most prospecting shops.The maps are in A4 in a booklet for covering gold field by gold field EG Maryborough is one book of maps then Talbot just up the road is another and so on, they cover many gold fields and are very good , Coiltek at Maryborough wwwcoiltek.com.au or email [email protected] regards john

christian1664 said:
Hi Patrick
Leigh

Randomly walking into the woods has probably been about 90% of the success story behind a lot of Maryborough finds! :) The main lead ran right through what is now the CBD of the town, with rich feeder gullies and nearby gold-bearing reefs that are now suburban streets, house lots and parks.

Back in the early 1980's when my wife and I were based in the Maryborough caravan park (UK 'motor camp'), prospecting throughout the Golden Triangle, it was surprising how many campground visitors walked off into the nearby bushland with their detectors and came back with fresh nuggets to show for their efforts.

Hi all,
I have planned another trip with my son to Maryborough. Heading up on Monday. With all the rain in the past week I am hoping for some advice on the state of roads and tracks in the area. I don't have a 4wd and will be looking around Timor area. Safety is a priority for me and the young bloke so any local advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

We are expecting more rain on Sunday I was told about 20 ml ,IF you stay on the main bush tracks you may be OK but the miner tracks I would give them a miss .You can feel the ground move just walking on it regards john :)

Go to Vic Roads website, traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ and check the road closures around Dunolly/Maryborough/Timor. Dunolly - Timor rd was closed this morning, dont know if it has re-opened yet. The situation changes daily, the problem is once the water recedes the road surface is damaged in places around the whole area.

Ok. Wow! Better pack the gumboots or take up ten pin bowling! Thanks for all the info. Sux is probably the nicest way of putting it.