Maryborough Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hi guys just wondering if anyone can recommend
A good motel to spend the night at Maryborough.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks

Stayed there a few times happy with rates and room good meals across road at golf club

Hey all,

I'm looking in the forum for some info on Maryborough heading up there soon. Can anyone point me to some good threads related? It's a bit hard trying to search thru everything on my phone! Thanks in advance

Shaun

I don't believe there are many detailed posts on Maryborough. The general advice given is:

1. If you haven't been there before, go and see the boys at Coiltek (the only dealer in town and a ML dealer). On the Maryborough/Dunolly Rd as you head out towards Dunolly on the left - about the last group of shops. They have very good advice, products and service features.
2. The other dealer is Goldsearch at Dunolly - on the main street, Broadway, pretty much one of the first shops on the right. The only White's dealer in Australia, have good products and service and also have good advice. They obliviously have a great deal of Whites knowledge and also are pretty handy with the ML series and know their stuff.

Both dealers sell Tully, Stones and Barnhams map series. John Tully is in fact a local and you may find him at the museum (across from Goldsearch). They also offer training and usually have detectors for hire but with some strict criteria -contact them, but suffice to say they have lost several detectors.

Maryborough is surrounded with diggings - a lot on crown land and the majority easily accessible to 2wd vehicles. EMI is an issue in some places given how close the diggings are to town/phone towers/power lines etc but this is only an issue in certain areas. You may want to search the Parks Vic website as certain areas are not open to prospecting. Dunolly is a similar story.

There are usually prospectors staying at the various caravan parks - they can be worth a chat.

Thanks guys for the replies will check out the info, Cheers!!

I just purchased a John Tully map on the area, will drop in and visit Coiltek any find will post them on here!

Taylor hey mate I go up there all the time if ever you want to come along let us know jim myself and matt. Cheers

Alright so I went out yesterday over Timor way, and parked on the corner of Reservoir road and Ipsens track. Within about two minutes the bloke whos place backs onto the crown land there rocked up, threatened to shoot me, ram my car and so on.
Seemed to be under the impression that I was planning planning to steal from the junk pile he has going there. I don't know if anyone's had any dealings with him and I've already reported him but if you intend to go up that way for a look be aware that he's there.

Some areas Can be dodgy when venturing out in unknown turf mate, be very careful and take someone with you. Also keep your miners right on you at all times. If your doing nothing wrong, your doing nothing wrong.

It certainly gets the heart pumping when gunshots, dogs, hidden crops, crack dens.. I've even stumbled across some strange hippy voodoo witch cult thing which I didn't hang around to see..

Be careful.

When you last expect it you stumble across the things you never want to.. usually within goldfields too.

Yeah definitely some truth in that mate, not the first time I've had someone a bit aggro but they usually calm down a bit once they realise I'm not planning to jump their fence or bust them or whatever. This idiot seemed way too calm about threatening to shoot someone, could have been chatting about the weather. I usually take that attitude about violence as an indication that they're fairly serious about what they're saying.
On note of strange things around the goldfields I found a couple of pensioners having a role in the hay out Havelock the other day, didn't disturb the dirty old buggers but I felt like bringing out the eyebleach next time.

:thumbup: ;) ;) Not that i'm likely to go out that way, but THANKS for the Community Announcement in the hope of staving off any unwanted agro for the members here.

GOOD JOB!!!!

Gypsy

AtomRat said:
Some areas Can be dodgy when venturing out in unknown turf mate, be very careful and take someone with you. Also keep your miners right on you at all times. If your doing nothing wrong, your doing nothing wrong.

It certainly gets the heart pumping when gunshots, dogs, hidden crops, crack dens.. I've even stumbled across some strange hippy voodoo witch cult thing which I didn't hang around to see..

Be careful.

When you last expect it you stumble across the things you never want to.. usually within goldfields too.

Were you at Nimbin?

bend said:
Alright so I went out yesterday over Timor way, and parked on the corner of Reservoir road and Ipsens track. Within about two minutes the bloke whos place backs onto the crown land there rocked up, threatened to shoot me, ram my car and so on.
Seemed to be under the impression that I was planning planning to steal from the junk pile he has going there. I don't know if anyone's had any dealings with him and I've already reported him but if you intend to go up that way for a look be aware that he's there.

LOL - as mad as a cut snake if its the triangle block on the corner out that way - south of Timor, to the east of Bowenvale. If that's the bloke, there was a very good run of diggings on the private land to the south of his property. Bush junk collectors, and there are many in the triangle, are best left alone. There is one near Dunolly and one out at Amherst who are as equally unsociable.

bend said:

and I bet he still has a gun too even though he's been reported.
I bet the police didn't even go and see him cause you would have heard something
if that happened in the city he'd be in court.

as soon as he said i'll shoot ya.........it betta be pointing rite at me.

bushpig said:
AtomRat said:

Be careful.

Were you at Nimbin?
Dark corner of the country lol... I hate it. I've been excited to find an old mining ground and then seconds later turned paranoid and cautious because some moron has made thier own fenced off areas with traps, to grow or build a hut.. its certainly more a concern than the snakes at times.

Jimst said:
LOL - as mad as a cut snake if its the triangle block on the corner out that way - south of Timor, to the east of Bowenvale. If that's the bloke, there was a very good run of diggings on the private land to the south of his property. Bush junk collectors, and there are many in the triangle, are best left alone. There is one near Dunolly and one out at Amherst who are as equally unsociable.

Yeah that's the bloke, I'll be following up with the cops and pushing for any charges I can lay on him. He seemed fairly serious about it, though the cop I spoke to didn't seem to think there was they could do other than word him up, she seemed to feel it needed more than just a verbal to be a serious threat.
Never had too much of a problem with bush junk collectors, bought a few good cars off a couple over the years actually, idiots on the other hand are everywhere.

bend said:
Jimst said:

Yeah that's the bloke, I'll be following up with the cops and pushing for any charges I can lay on him. He seemed fairly serious about it, though the cop I spoke to didn't seem to think there was they could do other than word him up, she seemed to feel it needed more than just a verbal to be a serious threat.
Never had too much of a problem with bush junk collectors, bought a few good cars off a couple over the years actually, idiots on the other hand are everywhere.

Isnt that just typically bloody stupid ... Life threatened and they dont take it serious enough to act. :mad:
When someone is injured or dead ... We'll take over :rolleyes:
This has been a good warning post
Just stay the hell away from there

Latest posts