Mareeba Queensland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm very new to forums and prospecting with absolutely no experience and a thousand questions. My main interest is in gold and coin detecting.
I have absolutely no idea on the different types of machines on the market so am after some advise and tips on how to get started in what seems to be a very interesting hobby. To start off with, I'd like to stay within 1 to 2 hours travel time from my home town of Mareeba Queensland but have no clue on where to try for gold. Coins I figure could be found around old buildings and public areas, again, any help on different locations would be great.
Thanks in advance for any information

Welcome to the forum . I thought there was a gold field at mareeba or close by .Not too far from cains if u where i think Mareebaa is and i think they have started to have meets again so maybe catch up with them for local advice . They could certainly help u with advice on detectorss etc . Pretty easy to get in touch with them through this forum

Hi John
Welcome to the forum
There is lots of information and helpful people on the forum
There is also a group of us the meet ever now and then that live up here in FNQ
The notices about these meets are put up in the members meet up section
But you will need more then 10 posts and logged in to have access to this area of the forum
We will have our last meet up for the year this Wednesday the 16th at 6pm in Cairns
If you think you may be interested send me a email

Cheers Greg :cool:

Welcome John,

Head to the Mareeba tourist info center. They have a "fossicking folder" under the counter with
some printouts that might be helpfull for you also.

Cheers GG :)

Welcome John, I grew up in Cairns, good luck on the hunt
I'd be hitting Mareeba rodeo up for coin shooting, could be some cool relics there too

Thank you everyone for your replies, I'll be chasing up on all your advise, :) I really appreciate it.

Welcome John,
Plenty of info on here and the wider web. Probably start with a Google search on Goldfields of North Queensland.
If you get stuck give one of us a yell and we'll help out.

Hope you can make it down for our meeting tomorrow evening.

Cheers,
TGW.

Latest posts