Making your own mining Tramway

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
here's a rough one I knocked up today just to give you some ideas

P1030115 by , on

wheel is from a disk brake out of just a car but needs to be the same width as the wood track which in this case is a little narrow so naturally it will want to wear on one side of the track instead of evenly on the top and sides the steel strapping I have used I would not recommend using it as it has small holes in it and will wear out very quick but something like this would work well a little thicker with no holes I couldn't find more than 1 disk brake in my backyard so you kind of get the idea just imagine a second wheel on the other side of track and 2 more wheels at the back of the 2 front ones the idea of the metal strap is to save the wood getting worn under it

The farm made tramway track plan has been made adapted from aushunter's track idea below.
1494223856_star_peg_tramway_track.jpg

Starpeg tracks been welded onto flat metal plates and then bolted or screwed into the wooden sleeper. :Y:

Shame you didn't live closer. I reckon there's at least 10 miles of rail here in my front paddock left over from the old mining and timber rail days. A few ore carts here and there too.

Hello ALL
i must say that this forum brings out some ppl that think outside the square , some great ideas,. What I heard a farmer say the other day about chinese made star pickets , they snap, real easy so aussie made ones are better. Have you thought about using either 25mm or 30 mm round gal water pipe and using a 12 mini bike rim as the wheels , or even those unused steel car rims 12'" Mini rims, I used 1 1/4 " pipe on a saw mill I built using the mini bike rims , the round track drops of the rubbish so wheel don't jam up , but I didn't have curves , if you have good seasoned hardwood available its easy to bend by saw cuts and reinforced on top with light gauge angle iron like from bed frames sourcing materials is always the issue but love the ideas and thinking outside the square that you guys come up with

be worth looking into rear hub assy's from front wheel drive vehicles. Proper bearings, bolt flanges to join to the axles, ability to add manual brakes (hand brake), be able use wheels as per iamagoldenoldie2 easily etc. Quite a few use discs if that's your preference. Simple to source (hit the wreckers, lots of little s**tboxes using pretty much exactly the same setup across several models) prebuilt, bolt up assy's pretty much. As far as rails go pretty much anything should work, for a given value of work anyway, I'd be inclined to use H beams personally if your run is fairly straight or you have a way to bend them, easy to fix to the sleepers with a hole through the bottom web and should track track well even with an empty cart. The narrow contact point on the starposts inclines me to wonder what happens if cart bounces a bit when empty, will it self align or will it jam or derail if it pops of that narrow contact, the other question being would the side loading in curved sections push the narrow upright flange over or significantly deform it after enough fatigue?

Thank you Aushunter for your perfect idea for my Starpeg tramway solution, and one day when I have a cart for it it will be used for my future underground mining tramway.
Thank you :Y: :Y:

1580448291_starpeg_rail.jpg

Latest posts