Lot 7310 Upper Turon road Sofala

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mbasko said:
If that is sold off it will be a travesty. It's crown land surrounding some private lots & is currently used for camping, fishing, swimming & fossicking. Another slap in the NSW recreational persons face - not good if they start selling off the crown land along the Turon! :mad:

It's all good mate
I've taken most of the good gold out of there over the years :D

did anyone see how much they were asking for it ?

it was already listed as "under offer" when i saw it , and i was cursing for hours afterwards .

as already mentioned , the fact it was listed as EOI might mean it was already sold between two parties but listed online to make it appear legitimate ?

it wouldnt be the first time ~

is this the area where the wier is at the end of the road and digs top of the hill across the road, if so a friend of mine was taking dirt from the washout above the dirt track ,putting it through the sluice and getting some nice gold there, remember him driving up and down the hill all day wth the back of the cruiser full of old wash, phill

One of my favorite places on the Turon.

There is a squatter community living up on the peak and I suspect they are going to have more rights than the new owners depending on how long they have been there!

There is an old hand winch point on the eastern side of the hill where they would move boulders from the deep pool and the dredge it. I would have loved to see the chunks coming out from the deep in the day. I suspect it is a recent edition maybe 80's or 90's? by the way the base was formed up and poured, small steel structure which a boat type hand winch would slot in perhaps? which looks modern, basic and effective.

The hill was hand mined in the day, if a current ML license could be obtained and machine mine it with a small crew I recon there are few chunks still about.

You would have three gullies at your disposal by the looks of it or at least the mouth of three gullies and a cracker one at that which is Big Oaky. Just the name of it raises the blood pressure and makes me sweat! The high benches go all the way up the hill and towards Wattle Flat and don't tell me Wattle Flat hasn't shed for eons and eons?

Imagine this place back in the day with all the hustle and bustle, horse drawn and cowboy country. No room for metro sexuals here back in the day I suspect :lol:

Imagine all the free historic access you would have upstream and downstream after blending in and helping out the neighbors? One lifetime is just not enough when you live in the big smoke with kids to raise and educate, feed the wife's shoes fetish which is OK, pay bills and mortgages :rolleyes: Perhaps one day or two, the fire still burns ;)

Great place for the kids to swim and us big kids to have a bit of a scratch, nice area and wish I lived closer. The most amazing stars are visible on clear nights, the best and clearest I have ever witnessed, Constantine my youngest loves looking up into the night sky. we will take our telescope on our next outing if I can fit it it the Hulix.

Getting out there 3 - 5 times a year with the kids 6 - 9 days at a time is just not enough 8.(

Ross

In an earlier post I said I would follow this up so here's an update.
I enquired with Crown Lands & my enquiry was handed to the Dubbo office. They then passed it onto the Orange office who have in turn now passed it onto the Crown Lands Acquisitions office & they should get back to me with more info today or tomorrow?
In the meantime I have been in contact with other interested parties (I will let them comment here if they wish). One person contacted Crown Lands, in an official capacity, & was told "it does not even show on their system as for sale!" Crown Lands was very surprised that it was for sale as it is river front & they dont normally sell that sort of land. Could not understand how it was listed with an agent. They have promised to get back to that person also.
It sounds very underhanded & possibly a local effort to have it closed off to the public? The agent has said it is a Crown Land sale so somebody at Crown Lands must have signed off on it to allow the listing. This is a worry if someone on a local level can approve a listing like this & head office seem to know nothing about it. It stinks of a set up.
Hopefully we hear something concrete soon.

Before anyone thinks this is about hampering a forum member from buying this land it isn't as I have previously said. It's all about a system that allows this type of thing. It all sounds well & good to have someone buy it privately saying that access will still be available but a private buyer can change that whenever it suits them. Also we already have free access under public ownership to carry out recreational activities so private ownership makes no sense at all. Whoever did buy it would have the hassle of the squatters camp, as mentioned previously, & also public liability, land management + other issues. It makes no sense & should remain Crown Land for everyone to use/enjoy as is the case now.
As for getting a Mining Lease on that block - you would be pushing it uphill. The environmental constraints being in such close proximity to the river & residential blocks would be limiting to say the least. Yes there is a ML further down but it's an old established lease, not adjoining residential blocks & if you were to look at it's set up has a much larger buffer zone to the river. A ML here would be unfeasible under current legislation - it's nice to dream though :D

Anyone that feels strongly about this please contact Crown Lands Acquisitions & lodge your objection. [email protected]
It doesn't need to be long winded - something as simple as:
"Noticed that Lot 7310 DP 1123796 has been listed for sale. This land shows as crown land & is currently used for a range of recreational activities such as camping, fishing, swimming & fossicking. Why/how has this land been made available for private sale? Will this be ongoing along the crown land lots along the Turon River & other similar areas of recreational access around NSW?
I would like to lodge my objection to this sale & the sale of any accessible Crown Lands that are used for recreational purposes."

Keep in mind that if this can happen here there is nothing to stop it happening elsewhere if we do nothing about it. Other lots around Sofala, Oallen Ford, Grabben Gullen, Tuena, Nundle, Hill End etc. etc. They all have similar parcels of Crown Lands that could be sold off if we just sit on our hands!

No offence to Nucopia or anyone else looking at it but I'll be chasing this up until the end. If it sells, well I will have tried & it should serve to highlight to everyone that we need to be vigilant in our local areas to keep an eye out for these types of things. It really should enrage all people with outdoor recreational activities but more so the prospector/fossicker who all seem to hold accessible & available lands as major issues.

A BIG THANK YOU MAT !!

I Have no objections at all to the work and your motives behind persueing the truth about this sale. I think its great to have people such as yourself make the effort to try protect and save what rightfully belongs to all Australians. I promise to try make an effort myself and contact them also to voice my disaproval.

Gaz :cool:

Hey Mbasko
If what you said above is true then there's a couple of "fraudsters "
Out there. This can get very ugly and I wonder where else this has happened??? I remember I while back where there were a lot of access roads along farmers properties which have been illegally taken up by then.

The last time I tried to get in phone contact with the agent it went through to voice messages . Left a message to contact me but the agent never replied..
Did receive an email a few days ago saying that the land was under contract.
Understandable if its crown land then how the hell can they sell it off ??
From your post Mbasko this land should never have been offered for sale in the first place and it does seem suspicous if not criminal.
I hope that head office knocks the sale on the head quick smart and the agent and h who ever approved the sale dealt with accordingly.

I've never seen this on public land but definitely spikes the smell a rat o meter.
About 15 years ago a similar incident played out, I was interested in a commercial plot of land owned by local government, the offering was imminent and I pulled together all the info needed to place an offer on one section as did a few others I suspect. Anyway pre armed the parcels were listed and 8.05 am in the morning the agent informed me (he rang me back on details I left at like 7.55 am) that the block was under contract. Already upset I asked after all the additional parcels only to be informed that Allof them were under contract. That sale lasted literally a few seconds was my distinct impression. Sure enough the same "party" acquired every block, re listed 10 or so for a significant amount above valuation which subsequently sold and developed the rest and sold every one. I sincerely suspect that whole outcome was contrived as soon as the decision to "sell" was officially formalized as a private profit sharing arrangement.
The old saying holds true it's not what you know or who you know, it's what you know about who you know.
Smells mighty fishy keep banging on that door Matt.

MESSAGE FROM NAPFA

(Sorry - NAPFA access link to forum broken so have to make personal post.)

As Mbasko has reported, he alerted NAPFA to this pending sale on Christmas Eve. I was able to contact Crown Lands on Monday and I had follow up discussion with them today (Thursday).
Due to the level of interest, and that NAPFA is now also making representations to object to and hopefully stop this sale, I believe the sale will be looked at closely by Crown Lands. I was told that it was not too late for the sale to be stopped.
In the several discussions Ive had with Crown Lands there is clearly some surprise on their part that a prime piece of river frontage that has public utility is being sold off like this. No doubt Crown Lands is a big agency and it may be that the left hand does not know what the right hand is up to with the rush to sell Crown Land in NSW but the matter is now firmly on their radar.
Tonight (Thursday) I also sent a detailed objection to the Minister for Crown Lands, Niall Blair, seeking his review and intervention with the aim of stopping the sale.
Those of you who have views on this matter please help by putting pen to paper in your own words, especially if you are personally familiar with this block, and send relevant emails to the Crown Lands objection box, the Minister and also the local state member, Paul Toole.

Contacts as follows:
Crown Lands: [email protected]
Minister Blair: https://www.nsw.gov.au/ministercontactform/minister-blair
Paul Toole, Member for Bathurst: [email protected]

As Mbasko says, objections dont need to be long winded.
Just get to the point, but no obscenities please! Something like:
"Noticed that Lot 7310 DP 1123796 has been listed for sale. This land shows as crown land & is currently used for a range of recreational activities such as camping, fishing, swimming & fossicking. I would like to lodge my objection to this sale & the sale of any accessible Crown Lands that are used for recreational purposes."
But expressing these thoughts in your own words will be most helpful and more powerful than any set words.
It is good to see that this was picked up and hopefully we can turn this around. As more information comes to light, it will get posted on this forum.
I would encourage all members of this forum to get behind your local fossicking and prospecting association and protect your interests wherever you are. No good moaning about things if you did not stand-up.
Cheers

Stephen
President
NAPFA

Latest posts