looking for work

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So after 10 years at the one job, working my way up the ranks to become a manager, which role i have had for 5 years now, dealing with the best and worse that my line of work can throw at me, always going out of my way to make things work as smooth as possible yesterday i got my redundancy notice, 4 weeks till i am no longer employed here, to be honest it is a little scary, have no idea what i am going to do, not even sure how to write up a resume these days, wish me luck boys i gonna need it lol
cheers
Jamie

never good news when job ain`t stable ..... at least you got 4 weeks , you will get your long service leave , annual leave, and sick pays .....
in the meantime always research for new job , get some resume examples and move from there....
Mind if you tell us which industry you are working, as you never know what opportunity can come up , and someone from here can always advise you in regards a new opportunity !

Don`t be disappointed ... the way i take these kind of things ... a kick in the but ... a step forward ....

DK

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job Jamie. Take it as a sign and the start of a new adventure.
EAsy to say I know and I would be stressed in the same situation.36 years in the same job and the qualifications of a train driver are not much use out in the real world.

yeah already started the search mate, getting the resume done today if i can get my head around it, i am (or was lol) a pawnbroker, but thinking i want to go back to something more physical, i hate sitting in a office behind a computer

cheers RJ, what i do like about it is the new chapter starting, bit like an adventure really

thanks DK, a mate has sent me his resume, he is one of the four of us that got notice yesterday so hope i can work with that if not i may take you up on that

Mate, that bites.

I was dumped just shy of my pro rata. 6 years, 9 months. That was 18 months ago. Yesterday I landed my dream job.

I wish you all the best for the future. It's tough out there, very tough. Don't give up mate, no matter how bleak it can seem at the time.

From what you have said I don't think you will have much trouble finding a suitable employer. You have worked your way up to a management position AND held it for 5 years. That's an awesome achievement in itself. Potential employers like to see a candidate with a track record of self improvement. Try to list everything you have initiated or achieved at work in bullet points so you can incorporate them into your resume. See if you can get written references from your colleagues. You can find all sorts of resume templates online. Find one similar to your situation and start filling it in so you have your relevant information handy. If you can afford it, it may be advantageous to have one professionally done, especially if you wish to apply for management positions.

Another thing. Get straight onto Centerlink! I spent the first year of my unemployment doing it all on my own and paying full price for training, etc. as I didn't have a concession card. I've been on Newstart for six months and have been offered two jobs in total during that time, all in the last couple of weeks. It seems to work according to how long you are on benefits. More funding for longer term unemployed so they let you flounder on your own for six months before they even consider helping you. I wanted to start a small business through NEIS, which is govt funded training and support for new businesses. I was told I would have to be on benefits for 2 years before I would be eligible. WHAT A JOKE! However, if you go in and badger them you should be able to get onto a resume writing class at the very least.

At least you have notice and payments due. I was sacked on the spot along with my whole workshop and we had a couple of hours to gather our belongings and no severance pay!

You'll be fine mate. There's bigger and better things for you just around the corner.

Good luck on your next adventure Jamie.

Get your Bluescope passport and hit up edmans, allmans and similar for some casual work in bluescope until something permanent turns up. if i hear of anything around here ill let you know.

jamie said:
So after 10 years at the one job, working my way up the ranks to become a manager, which role i have had for 5 years now, dealing with the best and worse that my line of work can throw at me, always going out of my way to make things work as smooth as possible yesterday i got my redundancy notice, 4 weeks till i am no longer employed here, to be honest it is a little scary, have no idea what i am going to do, not even sure how to write up a resume these days, wish me luck boys i gonna need it lol
cheers
Jamie
Mate all seems scary at first....but this could be one of the best thing that could happen to you...It was for me ......after 26yrs in the same job...i to was made redundant....had no idea how to do a resume. ........But once you get over the inital shock of it all ....the opportunities are endless.......i now have a job that pays twice as much....and nearly half the hrs :D

thank you for the tips and advise Maltisau, will take them on board and use it to my advantage, well done on getting your dream job, for me that would be a farm hand, have always wanted to work on the land and maybe now i will have the chance

start your own pawn shop mate... :)
jamie said:
yeah already started the search mate, getting the resume done today if i can get my head around it, i am (or was lol) a pawnbroker, but thinking i want to go back to something more physical, i hate sitting in a office behind a computer

if i had the money behind me i would, i know the industry well and could run my own shop easily i just dont have the money behind me unfortunately

kawman said:
jamie said:

Maltisau, is that what you are doing now?

That sucks, Jamie.

I'd get your resume out to all pawn shops within striking distance ASAP, you never know, its sometimes just luck to get the resume in front of someone around the time they have a vacancy.

Good luck, mate...

find a backer... :)
jamie said:
if i had the money behind me i would, i know the industry well and could run my own shop easily i just dont have the money behind me unfortunately

kawman said:
jamie said:

Maltisau, is that what you are doing now?

There are some very good resume writing companies out there, and some very bad ones... be selective on who you use.

Remember, keep positive. In the long run this might be a good thing :)

cheers everyone for the kind words, advice and well wishes, never know i may just find that retirement nugget and not need to worry about the whole resume thing, well i am hoping anyway lol

Jamie,

I live on a three acre farm with a couple chickens and horses, one in foal. We have an orchard, massive veggie patches, raspberries and a huge medicinal herb garden so I get my farming fix every day. I just landed a job on an adventure camp as a maintenance guy/gardener. I already have started the ball rolling on getting a gold panning area set up for the kids at camp and suggested supplementing the kitchen with veggie and herb gardens. The whole 150+ acres is quartz hills across the road from a gold mine. I have exclusive access to the grounds and adjoining river for prospecting. It's three days a week so I have plenty of time to look for GOLD!

I just had to hold my nerve until the right opportunity came my way.

If you see somewhere that you think would be a good place to work, drop in for a chat and hand them your resume. You never know your luck. I landed my first job in a winery by doing exactly that. Six months later I got a call out of the blue and I ended up travelling the world working in various wineries.

Sir, the world is your oyster. The biggest hurdle in chasing your dreams is leaving a safe, secure job and venturing into the great unknown. You have been handed a tremendous opportunity to live your life as you see fit. You'll be fine :)

Latest posts