Looking for ideas from the mechanically minded

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
I bet you fired it up -couldn't help yourself??

Jaros , I wish I was there, to take it for a spin.. :(
but Julius the son of our farm manager and the one who will be the operator ,beat me to it :mad:
Had to laugh , when the delivery driver dropped it off last night they gave him the tractor tool kit and the service manual.
Julius messaged me this morning to tell me that the service manual is not written in English its written in Vietnamese..
So we have been sharing PDF files and watching videos on the tractor the last couple of hours :lol:
The wonders of the internet.. :clap:

Looking for practical suggestions.
We have a water bore on a piece of land we own that has a hand pump ( piston pump ) connected .
I think the bore has 2 inch diameter pipe (?) going down about 30 meters from memory ..
Its used to water a half hectare vegetable garden by filling up a couple of water barrels and then hand watering the veggies with a couple of 10 gal watering cans.
As you can imagine the current set up is impractical laborious and time consuming.
1626916683_ed7a481c-0d08-4364-be49-45d23a56ec04.jpg

Im looking at ways to convert the hand pump action from a manual to mechanical action.
Here is a video taken of our neighbours conversion.. they have a canvas fire hose attached to theirs..
[video=480,360][/video]
Thats one way that the locals do it but Im not keen on this kind of set up .. the conversion would cost about $200 Aus in parts/labour but to me it looks like a good way to damage the pump or hurt some one.
Id like to put a wind mill on there or a solar submersible pump but both are big bucks and like hens teeth in the Philippines..
If any one has an alternative suggestion please let me know.

Hi nucopia,
30 metres is a long haul for a hand pump and I can understand why you need to mechanise.
As you say, a windmill or a submersible pump, both of which operate from the 30 metre underground level would be expensive alternatives.
You could halve the labour requirement if you built a substantial tank stand with a large tank at sufficient elevation to allow gravity feed to the garden beds.
That way you would not need to hand water with watering cans.
We had a set-up like yours in coastal New South Wales but the lift through sand was only a few feet and we were able to replace the hand pump with a small centrifugal pump which was able to suck up the water from shallow depth and boost it up into a high-set tank for onward reticulation.
This would appear to be not an option for you.
I can see no cheapish way to get the water up but the tank stand might be worth considering.
For what its worth.
Grey Panner

Latest posts