Looking for ideas from the mechanically minded

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be using the channel water method and drip system.
You can still use your hand pump if you like and then the channel system to your gardens.
Or
The other method is pumping water into tanks and use the gravity system from that.

I can relate to that Upside.
We have rice and corn land, had it for close to 25 + years now.
Was once a time they mostly used a single plow pulled by caraboa to till the land and 20 people would spend the day to plant a hectare of rice and corn land by hand ..now we have hand operated machines and tractors to prepare the land and plant the seed and threshers and rice combined harvesters.
Some of the older farmers still do things the way their fathers taught them many because they only have land enough to feed them selves .. but many of the younger generation who are working the land are starting to do things differently..
its still labour intensive but its way different to how it was 20-30 years ago..

diggin4gold said:
I would be using the channel water method and drip system.
You can still use your hand pump if you like and then the channel system to your gardens.
Or
The other method is pumping water into tanks and use the gravity system from that.
That was one of my thoughts for a short term solution ..buy 100 litre water drums and a gravity fed hose ....

I know rice land owners that did go and buy harvesting machinery, the locals in the village were pizzed off because it took away their employment as back breakingly hard that is being hunched over all day.

I like the idea of doing gravity fed rainwater tanks placed at intervals around the land, but once again I bet the locals way is the preferred method.

Caraboa, is that buffalo? Thais call them carabao. Close pronunciation.

As we now know a few more details , my best answer would be a down the bore electric pump . Powered by solar , check on E-bay . Mechanical contraptions are prone to break downs . If you use an engine , you will have to pay for fuel . Solar is "free ", better to spend a bit extra on solar than keep paying for fuel . JMO .

Strangely the pumps you have shown look like bicycle parts in motion.
and Goldfreaks post #4 https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=614763#p614763

gave me a vision of a bike frame upside down, with the pedal crank connected by a bar to the lever beem over a fulcrum, connected to the pump.

Leave the back (no tyre) wheel/rim and chain on the pedal crank, weld the gear sprocket to the rear rim hub. All upside down.

A piece of flat steel bar drilled and bolted to the pedal end of the crank, then attached the same way to the lever beem, need a longer crank? weld or bolt a longer bit of angle steel to it.

Then another bike frame and tyred rear wheel, upright could be used to press the rear wheel against the bare rim to power the pump by pedaling.

Simple, Cheap, mechanically fixable and a motor could be positioned against the rim (maybe with tyre now) at a later date...

I cant draw it but hope that you can imagine it.

Maybe some one could sketch it ?

:)

Cool.

It looked by far the easiest style to source every thing locally.

Slow and steady wins the race with a Jack Pump.

OzzieAu, that thing looks amazing. Awesome for low-flow situations. Wish it could be used for prospecting in NSW (Although it would take a while).

Nucopia, I get what you are saying about it not being applicable to your situation, you have to get the water out of the ground. So you need a solar pump/windmill or some sort of mechanical device to get it out of the ground.

Could you create some sort of basin at your pump where you could pump the water out, then use something like this to move it up the hill then use irrigation to move it back down again to your fields?

You'd still have to get the water out of the pump, so maybe a combo of one of the contraptions that have been posted earlier in this thread combined with this? Or maybe even a converted bike so you can use pedal power/gearing instead of just your arms?

I also wonder how much the bunyip pumps cost.

There is an old jack pump and engine for sale , needs work .... It is in Bowral NSW . It is on Facebook market place , AUD$750 .

Latest posts