Long time reader , first time poster

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all on this wonderful site .
Craig is my name and I live in diamond creek vic
I have an old xt 1700 extra tracker that needs a repair and was wondering where I could take it or if it's worth getting it repaired at all ?
I'm also looking into buying a gm 1000 . How would the old 1700 stack up against the new gm 1000 as I'm lead to believe they were a great detector in there day .
I'm planning on detecting around home as there are a lot of old gold mines within walking distance and I also have access to a lot of private property up at amhurst near talbot that I'm planning on working over .
Thanks guys and look forward to chatting to you all in the near future .
Regards craig

well Craig your at the right place to get some answers there is already a fair bit of discussion about the GM1000 look in the Minelab section.

Jaros said:
What a coincidence, I lived in Diamond Creek once upon a time-near the telephone exchange. Welcome Craig.
Jaros ]:D

Cheers jaros
It's a small world indeed , and I know exactly were you were .
I'm keen to either get the xt1700 repaired or look into the gm1000 , if you remember diamond creek and the gold mines in particular they have been excavating and removing tonnes of soil right on top of the old union mine ready for a new estate
And I was hoping to get permission and go have a swing there as I recon there could be a bit of yellow to be found with a bit of luck . Yes I have been going a heap of research on the gm but was curious as to weather it would be as good or better than the old 1700 ?

I'd go with the 1000 as better...based upon the fact it's 20 years ahead in technology. If the old school ones were any good well everyone would want one or they would do a re-release.

Sometimes it's hard to say what's better, horses for courses, but I'd like to bet the comparison is more like a classic car vs a new car, not an old GT vs a new GT. ?.

Personally, I'd back the XT17000, which I had quite a bit of success with back in the early 90's. So in this case, the old school ones were brilliant! :lol:

The XT range were the forerunners to the modern Eureka I'm lead to understand, and no doubt smashed out many many pieces back in the day. I'd bet a lot of the seasoned detectorists plied their original trade on the old vlfs before the PI machines came and learnt a lot about detecting and reading ground many years before detectors such as the sdc turn and go arrived. Pound for pound the old XT might still be the Victor especially in experienced hands but I would still argue that 90s tech vs 2017 tech the latter is far more likely to be reliable and consistant.
I know blokes that can keep lawnmowers for years and years and others that buy one every year because of neglect and misuse and poor handling. Now the detector (and coil/s) might be fine after repair and I believe the coils suitable for Eureka also fit, but if it were me I'd always be wondering about any gremlins still in there.

Given enough time to learn the XT probably wins on versatility and sensitivity, and full disclosure I've never used either, but if I was out tommorow on mild ground looking I'd take the Monster. I'll see if I can get a few pics of the Monster success from my mate who's a pretty decent swinger. Certainly swayed me enough to consider using one.

For the OP I reckon your best bet is to hire whilst your up couple of places hire detectors at very reasonable prices that would be worth your while over a vlf old or new but now we are getting down to tin tacks.I'd definitely consider a training day which ever way you go.

Thanks guys for taking the time to answer , your imput is much appreciated .
The problem I think with the xt1700 is the speaker so I'll get some head phones and see if that does the job .
If it isn't the external speaker does anyone know where I can take it to be looked at and maybe serviced ???
I think I'll keep the old girl and lash out and get a gm1000 as well ! Regards craig

Latest posts