Long time lover of gold and coins. New to gold detecting GEELONG

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yatesman

Steven
Reaction score
Nice to find a forum to chat to like minded people and share our discoveries. As my heading states I am a long time lover of gold and coins. I have just purchased a gold detector (very low end) and am looking forward to heading out to use it. Problem is where to?

I have google searched and understand I need a miners right, which is fine and easy. However I read there a strict rules about where you can use a detector. I would love so advice on where around Geelong I can get some hours of detecting done.

I look forward to many years playing around on this forum and showing what I find, that is if I find anything. I understand it can take a lot of time to come arcoss anything.

Cheers Steven

Welcome to PA Steven. I've only been a member for a few months, but have learned much and have had a fun time. I've also met many members in the field who've become great friends Cheers BW.

G'day Steven,
lotsa areas within an hour to 2 hours.

Have a play around with geo-vic - or just spend some time on this forum's previous posts - a gold mine of info.

cheers David

Welcome Steven

Unfortunately there is nowhere in Geelong for gold (plenty of coin shooting spots) but the goldfields arent too far away.

Grab a copy of Doug Stones Gold Atlas or one of John Tully's gold maps. You can buy them online or from one of the detecting shops in either Melbourne, Ballarat, Maryborough etc.

Then get stuck into GeoVic (http://earthresources.vic.gov.au/earth-resources/maps-reports-and-data/geovic) and combine the info. Research can make all the difference.

regards
Pat

Welcoome to the forum mate .Come from the wrong end of country to help u with places to go but shure u will find what u need on this forum

What an amazing community, thank you for all the wonderful replies.

I really look forward to detecting for coins and basically anything at this point. My detector is in the mail and due to arrive in the next couple of days.

I have a some amount of gold I will be testing with the detector and also some old coins both silver and copper. The detector which I have already said is very low end is a Deep Target Sensitive Searching Metal Detector W/ LED Readout Yellow 3010. Purchased on eBay for $100.

I am hoping to not look crazy when I first use it.
Kind of feel like it's my first Xmas and must remember not to smile to much lol.
1476692168_s-l1600.jpg
1476692203_s-l1600r.jpg

It appears I have a lot of reading to do. I thought I would be able to use a metal detector anywhere but it appears this is not true. It's going to take some time to find somewhere to play buy the looks of it.The last thing I want to do is piss anyone off by detecting somewhere I should not be.

I’ve just bought a sdc2300 and was surprised to see. That there is no place close to Geelong to detect. I’m new to it all and hoping that some one in this forum can reach out to me and help me to get some knowledge about detecting and were to go it’s allways better to go with people rather than go on your own , I have COPD so can’t walk long distances I need to rest often to catch my breath , hoping that doesn’t put anyone of cheers Tony

I’ve just bought a sdc2300 and was surprised to see. That there is no place close to Geelong to detect. I’m new to it all and hoping that some one in this forum can reach out to me and help me to get some knowledge about detecting and were to go it’s allways better to go with people rather than go on your own , I have COPD so can’t walk long distances I need to rest often to catch my breath , hoping that doesn’t put anyone of cheers Tony
I think you'd do better to start your own thread in this Introduce Yourself section and explain your special needs there, mate.

Meanwhile, this link will take you to a thread that covers official requirements for prospecting in Victoria:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...ecting-regulations-all-australian-states.125/

Latest posts