Living with Electric Vehicles

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it's been discussed earlier here but how can you trust battery life statements when we've been lied to for years by battery manufactures. We were sold regular AAA, AA, C and D cell batteries with 10,000 charge cycles that die after a couple of years. Then we are sold telephones and similar devices with long life lithium batteries that usually lose their effective power delivery after about two years.

We rarely see a battery that lives up to its advertised life expectancy. Some lead-acid batteries and Minelab's 4500/5000 are very good but in most cases we don't get what we've been promised.

People have short memories and in this throwaway world we seem to accept the vacuum cleaner, drill or the likes operating for half of the time it was meant to before dying half way through a job.

Why is your EV going to be any better?

It doesn't seem to be a problem to the flood of buyers now that EV's are becoming readily available.
Have you had a look at world sales ? Yes there has been so called good figures of EV's in Australia ...7% of total sales lol but around the world there are Manufactures pulling out of the market and car yards sitting on a 12 month supply of vehicles they cant sell. Its like any product , the market needs to become saturated in order for people to evaluate the pro's and con's before the consumer actually goes in to make a educated purchase ... very early days here now before people realise it isnt the cheap convenient or even environmental outcome they were hoping for.

Have you had a look at world sales ? Yes there has been so called good figures of EV's in Australia ...7% of total sales lol but around the world there are Manufactures pulling out of the market and car yards sitting on a 12 month supply of vehicles they cant sell. Its like any product , the market needs to become saturated in order for people to evaluate the pro's and con's before the consumer actually goes in to make a educated purchase ... very early days here now before people realise it isnt the cheap convenient or even environmental outcome they were hoping for.
Yes and it appears solar and wind power claims are starting to look very dubious.

that's my thinking too moneybox
how can you trust what they publish in their own reports on how good their batteries are
as you said, they can not even publish the correct information on a AAA battery let alone anything else in the battery game

i don't know if this is a joke or not but it opened my eyes when a mate sent it to me

tesla battery.JPG
as i said i don't know if it is a joke or not

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is true, but I suppose you could also use that theory on just about everything in life, I just bought a Californian orange, I’d like to see a breakdown of litres of diesel in the process of it arriving in Perth, then the ones that are to soft, don’t look right etc, end up in land waste.
Just me, but I think if we can keep some oils in reserve, why not and make hay while the sun shines🌞

it would be interesting to see what the breakdown cost is to get a orange from the usa to perth
same with australia ,unfortunately just about all the fruit and vege agents, providores and wholesalers(and supermarket sorting sheds) are located in the capital city of each state
the poor fruit and vege just about does a lap of the country to get to its final destination
that's why the genetics of new varieties have been changed (mainly the vege side of things) so they travel well to their final destination ,hence that is why there is no flavour in them now ,not like we had when growing up

but the bit i don't get is we have that word "renewable" thrown at everything from the government ,car ,battery ,solar and wind turbine manufacturers
my understanding of the word renewable means making something from the old worn out/broken/damaged items into something new , correct me if i am wrong
but with the batteries ,wind turbine and solar there is not much of it that can be renewed
so maybe they should change it to the new throw away able energy ☺️

Solar panels, fruit & wind turbines are a bit off topic here.
That aside EV batteries are recyclable. Ecobatt in Australia recover about 90% of EV battery materials.
The Tesla battery screenshot above isn't a joke. More like a bad attempt to cause concern. That info, & others like it, have been widely called out as incorrect &/or misleading. Plus it doesn't show a fair like for like comparison of requirements for EV's vs. conventional vehicle, that still require a lot of mining - metals + oil.
IMO there is no such thing as a zero emission vehicle & likely never truly will be.

I'm not a fan of EV's for my personal use but think in built up areas they are worth considering.

IMO there is no such thing as a zero emission vehicle & likely never truly will be.

I'm not a fan of EV's for my personal use but think in built up areas they are worth considering.
The use of E-Bikes or scooters in Capital Cities would make a large difference if car were restricted to eventual use only.

accept the slap there matt on the off topic bit
buuuut, i agree 100% with your remark on zero emission vehicles
it can not happen in my life time
what gets up my nose about it all is the people(keeping politics out of it )keeps pushing their agenda about electric vehicles
but they still use fossil fuels to charge the bloody thing (at home ,fuel generated charging stations)
if you want to cruise around the country and tell everyone that you have gone zero emissions with your electric car then supply your own bloody solar panels to charge it or have what ever renewable energy that is available at the charge point to recharge it, not rely on fossil fuels to charge it
otherwise you might as well drive a fossil fuel powered vehicle
that's my take on it
i don't begrudge anyone buying/using electric vehicles ,but don't use fossil fuels to recharge it

i am with you on that one evie/be
hooning down the main street of bundy on a bloody scooter
i don't quite know who would be in more danger myself or the pedestrians
and me thinking this is great ,what do we do here
drop the shoulder or lift the elbow when passing
just like the old days playing aussie rules in the bush🤣

Solar panels, fruit & wind turbines are a bit off topic here.
That aside EV batteries are recyclable. Ecobatt in Australia recover about 90% of EV battery materials.
The Tesla battery screenshot above isn't a joke. More like a bad attempt to cause concern. That info, & others like it, have been widely called out as incorrect &/or misleading. Plus it doesn't show a fair like for like comparison of requirements for EV's vs. conventional vehicle, that still require a lot of mining - metals + oil.

Only 10% of EV batteries are recycled in Australia , the rest is landfill.
Just saying.

Only 10% of EV batteries are recycled in Australia , the rest is landfill.
Just saying.
That was in 2021 & it's increasing over time.
The fact is they are 90% recyclable - why such small numbers are being sent for recycling is a question for EV owners + manufacturers/repairers.
There is also some promising results at the moment with re-use & re-purposing the batteries.
Won't be something I'll need to worry about in the short term though.

it would be interesting to see what the breakdown cost is to get a orange from the usa to perth
same with australia ,unfortunately just about all the fruit and vege agents, providores and wholesalers(and supermarket sorting sheds) are located in the capital city of each state
the poor fruit and vege just about does a lap of the country to get to its final destination
that's why the genetics of new varieties have been changed (mainly the vege side of things) so they travel well to their final destination ,hence that is why there is no flavour in them now ,not like we had when growing up

but the bit i don't get is we have that word "renewable" thrown at everything from the government ,car ,battery ,solar and wind turbine manufacturers
my understanding of the word renewable means making something from the old worn out/broken/damaged items into something new , correct me if i am wrong
but with the batteries ,wind turbine and solar there is not much of it that can be renewed
so maybe they should change it to the new throw away able energy ☺️
It's the energy that is renewable, not the equipment used to harness it. 🙄

Latest posts