Lightning ridge

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
My name is Derek cordaroy,
I live in Tunbridge wells,kent UK.
I am coming to Australia in March 2017
And I would like to try fossicking and maybe find an Opel ?
Can anyone help me in my search? Am will in to work at it,any help would be great
Thanks for any help in advance

Derek

Just took a drive down Mt Pleasant Rd and out through the Vale on Google satellite maps, busy little part of the world you live in Derek, wait till you see the distance between towns out here in Australia (if you've never been before) ,... you could do a little research on PA about how to noodle for opals just to get a good idea of what you could do out there on the search, there is a wealth of information on here. :)

Smilememe1 said:
Hi All,
My name is Derek cordaroy,
I live in Tunbridge wells,kent UK.
I am coming to Australia in March 2017
And I would like to try fossicking and maybe find an Opel ?
Can anyone help me in my search? Am will in to work at it,any help would be great
Thanks for any help in advance

Hope you enjoy your trip.

With Lightning Ridge and Coober Pedy, the only way to get Opal in both of those areas is by going underground and mining for it. You will not find any in mullet heaps anymore because they have been noodled. So your only luck is knowing someone who will take you down a mine or take out a claim and start your own. You might have some luck in some open cuts still if you can find a vain that's already been found and has no claim anymore at Coober Pedy, there's a few claims expired out there.

There's not even much potch nowadays because the noodlers collect the potch and sell it cheap to China and the like so they can make cheap jewellery.

Latest posts