Lesche Digging Tools

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey guys trying to decide between digging tools .i mainly hunt parks and sometimes forest areas and i was wondering if anyone had used any of these size diggers before .i was thinking the 18" would be good to draw less attention but im not sure how easily it would go into the ground being as its small and i would have to bend down to use it but then i think maybe the 31" would be a bit overkill and draw to much attention .if anyone has used any of these diggers i would really appreciate some feed back on your experience with them .thx guys :).

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/digging-pick-scoop-trowel-shovel-1.html

here is a link to the shovels .

I wouldn't use such a big tool in parks. The less visible damage we do the better. I use a small digger like the lesche saw tooth digger in your link. 3rd one down the right side.
LonelySilver has recently got one very similar to the lesche digging shovel at the top left of your link. He doesn't use it in parks but in areas that don't have manicured lawns.

Wolfau said:
I use a lesche mini shovel.

Its only 4" wide at the top.

See below.

http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/digging-pick-scoop-trowel-shovel-2.html

Simply awesome tool to use. 4 clean
cuts forming a sqaure pull back retrieve and put Back. Simple fast and very effective rather being on your knees
And trying to cut out a plug and at times
Trying to cut through buffalo.

As always each to their own.

Hope this helps.
oh you have the little eagle this is what im trying to decide between the little eagle or the lesche 18" because i find you have to get on your knees anyway to retrieve the goods but yeh still not sure .yeh i heard they are very good for cutting clean plugs .

Ramjet said:
Cutting plugs is to the best method. The grass will die a few days later and g he plug can be picked up by mowers. Have a search for coin popping and the slit method.
this guy is a bit long winded but shows good technique.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/YzEZNWMXKDE[/video]

but if you only dig a 3 side plug dosnt it regrow .this guys method is great and all but if you have to dig old coins i cant see this method working to well and there would be a chance you might even damage the coin you are pulling out of the ground ?.

blakegarv said:
but if you only dig a 3 side plug dosnt it regrow .

Sometimes, sometimes not. I think it depends on the grass, type of soil, and available water/rainfall.

I cut about 50 3-sided plugs in a nice well-kept manicured park in Melbourne about a year ago. The grass was lush and green and the season was winter coming in to spring.

When I'd finished on the day, you couldn't tell I'd even been there, unless you went up really close - no excess soil, plugs went back in almost perfectly.

2 months later I drove past that spot, and it looked like someone had painted about 50 4" yellow circles all over that otherwise nicely manicured lawn! 8)

No matter the method used it must be clean and discreet, I leave a lot of targets in the ground for sake of what people may think.
Anyone who is out in the parks with metal detectors beginner or expert is representing us all..
it only takes a couple of notable holes and a nosey onlooker to see it and a lot of people who have time to walk in parks have time to dob u in and have us kicked out.
If I can't get a coin with the prob and screw driver method I leave it there.
Besides, if you use a prob you can feel if it's a coin instead of cutting a plug to find it's just a pull tab.

blakegarv said:
Ramjet said:
Cutting plugs is to the best method. The grass will die a few days later and g he plug can be picked up by mowers. Have a search for coin popping and the slit method.
this guy is a bit long winded but shows good technique.

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/YzEZNWMXKDE[/video]

but if you only dig a 3 side plug dosnt it regrow .this guys method is great and all but if you have to dig old coins i cant see this method working to well and there would be a chance you might even damage the coin you are pulling out of the ground ?.

Better to risk damaging a coin than be banned from detecting altogether...... I've seen a few plugs dug in places I detect and mostly they were yellow/brown spots that had sunken in and were very obvious, slit method and coin popping does not cause these probs. I coin pop and regularly revisit sites and generally you can not tell I had been there previously. Even the local council ranger is fine with the method I use.

Youtubers make me cringe, with the large plugs they dig. I use the slit method 80% of the time, and am confident the grass will recover well. The slit method isnt good for dry/compacted, barren areas. This is where a plug is best I spose, but they dont allways hold together. Slits seem to raise the chance the of scratching a coin, but I would rather take the risk of that, then take the risk of us getting banned. I look at those signs on parks, with prohibited activities on them......and I wonder how long it will be, before we see a little detector guy, with a red stroke going through him. Prob more detectorists, or just as many that are not on forums, and are uneducated in this matter of ethical retreivals. I used to carry my army shovel, and dig plugs.....and didnt think anything of it. I had been thinking of getting a lesche digging spade, but unless your digging in the bush, or on private lands, then it just isnt needed. Out on a limb, carrying a spade around isnt the best look for us. We are a minority, if enough complaints are made....then we are sunk for good in public areas.

I like this one.

Target the coin / find and pop it. If the Pointer can not detect it - move on. On the beach or bush it may be diferent, but I hate seeing any one cut plugs on parks in Australia where we have couch and other grass that grow from runners.

Park pimples or even park Boils will be evident a little while later..

[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/rn3LyS8DZeQ[/video]

well usually if i have a coin close to the surface i just flick it up with a knife but i wanted a small digger in case the coin is really deep .i found i was leaving targets because they were deep and then when i tried to dig the target up it make a mess with my knife and small digger but there was plenty of targets deeper that were good targets that i couldnt reach and i wanted to get something that could make a clean plug or a 3 sided plug .

Horses for courses really, you need to check out the ground with a mind to the kind of turf, as well as the use of the ground.

Couchy stuff I try not to cut more than enough to fold it out of the way, finer stuff will take a little more disturbance.

Still, I'm new to this, I made a real mess in my backyard and first Park, but since then I don't think anyone would know I'd been.

Thinking of leaving my sharpened trowelling behind for parks and just taking the narrow nylon one, my screwdriver and a steak knife in future.

A creased piece of stiff plastic is awesome for collecting dug dirt and pouring back in a hole, much easier to manage than a cloth I find.

My two pence worth anyway, and at the low price of free. :D

blakegarv said:
well usually if i have a coin close to the surface i just flick it up with a knife but i wanted a small digger in case the coin is really deep .i found i was leaving targets because they were deep and then when i tried to dig the target up it make a mess with my knife and small digger but there was plenty of targets deeper that were good targets that i couldnt reach and i wanted to get something that could make a clean plug or a 3 sided plug .

If it is a public park with reasonable grass - leave the deep ones.

After all, better to be welcome back any time than make a mess for a few items that are not worth it. I mean, it is not like it is going to be a roman hoard...

And what are a few pre decs worth - bugger all, let alone those deep bottle tops that look like a coin but are junk.

rocketaroo said:
Youtubers make me cringe, with the large plugs they dig. I use the slit method 80% of the time, and am confident the grass will recover well. The slit method isnt good for dry/compacted, barren areas. This is where a plug is best I spose, but they dont allways hold together. Slits seem to raise the chance the of scratching a coin, but I would rather take the risk of that, then take the risk of us getting banned. I look at those signs on parks, with prohibited activities on them......and I wonder how long it will be, before we see a little detector guy, with a red stroke going through him. Prob more detectorists, or just as many that are not on forums, and are uneducated in this matter of ethical retreivals. I used to carry my army shovel, and dig plugs.....and didnt think anything of it. I had been thinking of getting a lesche digging spade, but unless your digging in the bush, or on private lands, then it just isnt needed. Out on a limb, carrying a spade around isnt the best look for us. We are a minority, if enough complaints are made....then we are sunk for good in public areas.

I was thinking the Exact same thing about the sign and little detecter guy when I put my reply up.. lol!

Some good responses. I will leave a deep target if it's nice lawn. Mostly you can barely tell where I have dug but none of us are perfect. I always look at the signs to see what is allowed and what is banned. I had a go at coin popping with a screwdriver early on but couldn't get it right. Time to revisit it I think.

The pinpoint - probe - make a cut and then pop works a treat...

I would suggest anyone cutting plugs etc - do it in your own yard - do not water and see what it looks like after 1 then 2 and then 3 weeks...

If it is couch or any of the other runner-type grasses - You may need to explain the mess to the person that looks after your yard..

AngerManagement said:
The pinpoint - probe - make a cut and then pop works a treat...

I would suggest anyone cutting plugs etc - do it in your own yard - do not water and see what it looks like after 1 then 2 and then 3 weeks...

If it is couch or any of the other runner-type grasses - You may need to explain the mess to the person that looks after your yard..

great idea.

Latest posts