Lebanon blast

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At high temperatures,ammoniumandnitrogen dioxideare formed when ammonium nitrate breaks down, and can react together to produce massive amounts of heat.
If the heat isnt dissipated and the reaction rate is allowed to escalate, the reaction will eventually cause detonation.

Not my words.

They are saying it could been a fire in a fireworks factory/store in the same building that set it off... Who knows... We will find out soon enough...

Sounds like a few on here have had some fun.. :)

LW...

Goldfreak said:
At high temperatures,ammoniumandnitrogen dioxideare formed when ammonium nitrate breaks down, and can react together to produce massive amounts of heat.
If the heat isnt dissipated and the reaction rate is allowed to escalate, the reaction will eventually cause detonation.

Not my words.

Which is what happened in the states in the 1940's. A fire broke out on the ship and after failed attempts to put it out they decided to shut the hatches and steam it. Not realising, or forgetting that it creates its own oxygen. Affectively creating a pressure cooker the size of a ship.

Whatever the technical cause was is irrelevant to the fact that it should never have been stored where it was.... whoever made that decision is culpable and dumb. :mad:

The just guestimated the blast of that stuff was equal to 1 kiloton which is equal to 1,000,000 kgs, :8 :8

I have seen videos of what a 5000lb WWII bomb can do which in comparison is a meer mouse fart when compared to what this blast was.

Just sayin ;) ;)
1596637687_screenshot_2020-08-06-00-27-02.jpg

1596637718_screenshot_2020-08-06-00-23-11.jpg

Looked like the goods to me.... nothing like a little misinformation to cover the facts over and have tongues wagging about all sorts of things except what it looked like :p

G'day

I saw on the news last night Donald Trump saying that his generals reckoned it was an attack and not an accident, judging by the damage and the hole in the ground where the storage shed was its going to be tough to ever find out what happened either which way, no doubt some dodgy crew will claim responsibility for it if was a deliberate detonation, but it seems more likely to me that it was probably just poor storage practice that caused it having been that it was stored really close to fireworks that were going off before the big bang, anyway poor sods.

cheers

stayyerAU

I can't believe that Trump came out with that self promoting crap when a country is grieving, The man just doesn't know when to shut his mouth,

A 4 day old baby Girl has bleeding on the brain because she was being breast fed by her mother in hospital when the explosion happened, :flowers: :brokenh:

There is a Fund Me thing been set up by some lady, I hope the world chips in and helps bail em out, so far with 135 dead 5000 wounded and over 350,000 homeless, the world needs to do something to ease their pain, :Y: :flowers:

Well boys here is my theory..

Scene - Grain silo's next to the shed holding AN.

Any farmer or silo operator knows about 'dust explosions' from grain dust, I learned of this working on a sheep ship as an Electrical Officer 30+ years ago.
Dont believe me, stand back and throw a half handful of flour into the air over a camp fire, dont have anyone standing close, keep them behind you.

The sheep feed pellets produced a lot of dust and were moved around thru pipework with blowers, so keeping the motor switch gear clean and the any panels
was a big priority - a serious fire hazard.

In fact one ship had caught fire and sank in Bass Strait, with loss of a few human lives and a shipload of live stock for this very reason. Some may remember that event.
I suggest that there was some loading or other work was being done with the grain from the silo's, a dust fire occurred and or dust explosions.
The first fires and bangs. This was largely uncontrolled even with fire fighting attempts.

The AN shed had possibly been damaged by those initial explosions and when mixed with heat and dust or carbon from the fires, it initiated detonation
of the AN stored in the adjacent shed.

Any other table top theories ?

:eek: :argh:

Terrifying as these incidents all are.

Rockhunter62 said:
Hey Peter, I think you may have meant cordtex. Cordite is an old straw like propellant used in old small arms ammunition ie: very old .303 cartridges. Cordtex is a plastic coated cord that has PETN as a filling and detonates at around 7000 metres per second.

Doug

That's the one Doug, "cordtex", corrected my post but still spelt it wrong..... :zzz:
50 years have lapsed since I watched them loading blast holes, hope my memory can be excused? :lol:

How do they arrange the timing so the open cut face comes down in slices? Old memory again recalls something about the blast not "rocking"?
ie: Rocks not being sprayed endangering plant/equipment and workers?

Massive certainly.

Interesting read on the explosive nature of materials.

Getting back to the hardships of these peoples - here is the abc online news which is reporting not only with their pain and hurt from the explosion but updating the whole situation in overview.

To read this, I cannot help to think that in Aus we only receive Popular Controlled Media.

Unless I haven't been paying attention - I had no real idea about all of this content.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020...tical-crisis-before-beirut-explosion/12525920

It probably works the same as potassium permanganate, normally a catalyst is added to cause a reaction
however with enough heat the catalyst isnt needed and the reaction Is self sustaining.

I set 1000kg of it on fire to prove a point and nearly lost my work car that was parked a good distance away

Yikes. I was there for 2 weeks work in about 2005 and would drive past this site daily. The hotel was 2km back towards downtown, the work site was 3 km past this site. I could see easily see the large silos from my hotel room, so it was likely damaged by the blast.

I had to get out of there early because of other security issues, and most will know what they were about.

Rob P.

Latest posts