Lay Flat Hose information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
Just wondering if yous use some sort of lubricant to help slide lay flat hose onto the tail fittings on the cam locks. just having a quick play due to it actually been a chrissy present. It seems it will be one hell of a mission to slide it over dry due to the thin side wall just collapsing while pushing

Either spit on it or you can rubber grease :p sparingly
You can do it dry with skill anger and patience or spit :lol:
You can use heat but don't :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just put new hoses on both sides of my 1.5" pump.........bugger me I gave up trying to push the new suction hose over the camlocks and pressure hose over the other side camlocks......I gave in and took them into the irrigation place so they could do it with the right tools......

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:
1482455566_everything_fits_with_spit_t_shirt-r50a74b9b2aa045f2b0e8394aef3cca90_k2gm8_324.jpg

Everything fits with spit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Put a couple of 6" or so cuts down opposite sides of the lay flat so you can grab those tails and pull it down onto the hose fitting. I lube the fitting with dish liquid and put it on the floor facing up then force the hose down onto it.

If still tight you can use pliers to grip the hose from side on. Once you have it on just trim off the excess. And don't forget to slip a clamp over the hose first.

Simple.
Use Band Clamps only and don't forget to slide them over the hose first. :rolleyes:
Have a careful look at the tail of the cam lock.
You will see that there are two bigger barb's with one being closest to the Cam Lock itself.
Cut the tail off just behind the 1st biggest one leaving about 40 mm. That includes the Big Barb.
Slip the cam lock on the hose. Or the radiator clamp reminding your self to get Band Clamps.
Immerse the Cam Lock Tail in the new bottle of Dish Washing Liquid that the wife just got in the shopping.
With a bit of grunt, Casually slide the hose over the tail right until it can not go any further. Right up hard.
Slide your Band Clamp or excuse for one over and up and leave about 5 Millimeters of hose before it hits the Cam Lock Body.
Tighten it until the bolt is firm or if a radiator clamp, It bends. (Or in the field, You cut your self on it. )
Congratulate yourself with a beer or two on a job well done. :cool:
6 Months later, Swear like all out because your hose just split right behind the radiator clamp you used when you are out in the middle of no where. :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:
reminds me to put one up with Photo's.....

We do not use 250 PSI of water pressure.
we only use at best maybe 40.
But the wrong clamp will cut your hose off after a while.
Band clamps you can tow your car with them and the hose
will break before the clamps let go. LOL

Thanks bundyJD and Tathradj.
sounds like a plan, i will try JD's plan first (prefer jd over bundy :p ) before cutting the actual camlock first.

Admittedly i only have full stainless steel rad clamps as thats what the irrigation mob recommended as they didnt think the band clamps they carry would wind down small enough due to the thin wall of the layflat. Also thinking the couple of places here that carry those band clamps have the style dont have that tiny bent lip and are basically a bit thicker rad clamp that still has that square edge

You can do both mate - I had a roll of hose that was a real bastard to get on, so I cut the fitting down as Doug suggests than cut the hose and pulled it on with pliers.

And to add more,
Really supposed to put a layer of material under the clamp as
well. I have not done that yet but have had no problems.
yet.... :D

I normally hit it with the heat gun. It softens it just enough. When it cools it won't move.
You will have to heat it again to get it off.

Harb said:
I just put new hoses on both sides of my 1.5" pump.........bugger me I gave up trying to push the new suction hose over the camlocks and pressure hose over the other side camlocks......I gave in and took them into the irrigation place so they could do it with the right tools......

You can soften the suction hose in hot water, almost boiling and if it gets stuck part way on, heat the fitting and hose at the same time. I have used a lunchbox cooker (one of the exploding ones) with a pot of boiling water. You will get greater than 5mm stretch with no problem. I have done this 8 times and it can't get any easier. Ken.

Latest posts