Kind of newbie of 2 (Canberra)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DropBear

Tim
Reaction score
Hey all,

Have been getting into prospecting with a mate of mine Franky, we have been out at the ford quite a bit and have met a few other people out there.
We are in the Green Holden Ute (really need a 4x4), it's usually parked alone, as we walk the gear in to avoid getting bogged... (again)

Prospected on private land with permission from friends in Murrumbateman, Bredbo area, and off to a new location this weekend about 2 hours north of Canberra.

We run a HighBanker with a large pump and so far all good, we are getting a little bit of gold here and there but nothing to call home about.
Detect A Den in Fyshwick were great and hooked us up with all new matting which is working much better.

The only tricky bits we have been trying to work out.
  • How much water flow?[/*]
  • How much dirt to put in at once?[/*]
  • Getting the angles right...[/*]

Attached is a picture of our setup... We have an extension for it that we have run sometimes but it needs new carpet in there so it usually just stays at home.
The riffle bars are shite (excuse my french ;) ) so i need to fix that up...
The other issue is we get a lot of white water going through the sluice and i believe it might be screwing up our chances to catch gold.

I would love to hear peoples thoughts on our setup. :)

1425439624_imag0356.jpg

Looks the goods for small gold, what does your pan tell you, it will be the best advisor. Looks compact, sturdy with good flow and equiped to break up clay. I like it :cool:

Do you run a detector over your rock heap for that big nugget or specimen or can you catch them all as you work the grizley bars clean?

...... and welcome to the forum

Wally69 said:
Looks the goods for small gold, what does your pan tell you, it will be the best advisor. Looks compact, sturdy with good flow and equiped to break up clay. I like it :cool:

Do you run a detector over your rock heap for that big nugget or specimen or can you catch them all as you work the grizley bars clean?

...... and welcome to the forum

Hey mate...

Yeah it's good for stuff around Canberra which is mostly smalls.

Nah no detector, we did have a guy come out with us a few weeks back and was running his detector over the tailings pile but he only got a few bottle tops ;) haha

If your tailings look washed you should catch gold with that set up. It's bit hard to see the riffle set up but make sure you have a bit of a slick plate to help to liquify the dirt as you put it though and something to slow the water down. The gold will drop out, just like in a pan.
Good luck and welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to your contributions. :)

Beagleboy said:
If your tailings look washed you should catch gold with that set up. It's bit hard to see the riffle set up but make sure you have a bit of a slick plate to help to liquify the dirt as you put it though and something to slow the water down. The gold will drop out, just like in a pan.
Good luck and welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to your contributions. :)

Thanks mate.

I'm currently in the process of building a "Blue Bowl" also, and 3D printing the center cone to match the original. So hopefully that works :D

Had a really disappointing clean-out today after a big day on Monday last week. Test pans were good, some nice big flakes, so we set up and ran for about 5 hours or so...
Not sure what happened, the rocks were washing great, we were not feeding it too quickly, the water flow was beautiful... So need to look into what went wrong.

:mad:

Hello Dropbear y are there so many bubbles in the bottom sluice gold would be floating on that for shaw look at what you have at the start of your sluice I've got fine punch plate in mine and it helped heaps with the bubbles and it smoothed the flow out.luv your highbanker I build all my own gear aswell mine is like a monster hog with extended sluice works very well and yes change those spray bars

Latest posts