Killiecrankie diamonds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1399112442_image.jpg

Got the crown covered too! :p

Yep some good colour there, I'll be interested to see how the peach ones come out.

A man of your talents won't have to much trouble next time your over there. BTW the bloke at Deep Bite Cafe, known locally as deep pockets cafe wasn't being cagey, he honestly doesn't know anything about the fossicking. He's an ex-fisherman and going by the questions he hit me with after my second day there, looking for stones isn't his thing. I also don't think his fossicking customers are much help, it sounds like armies of people go away empty handed. I just got very luck.....I'm going back next year to get very lucky again......or not! :D

Hahaha, when I think about it, none of what you say sounds that surprising. Shitty service too.

I found the locals really cagey about where to go, and pretty unhelpful.

Sounds like a familiar story. Went all over the Anakie gemfields looking for a place to peg two small miners claims but pretty much everyone I spoke to told me that the pickings were slim at best in their particular spot. Eventually I concluded that if everyone was giving me accurate information, there should not be a gemfield here at all let alone one of the worlds most important sapphire-producing areas. Finally met one of my neighbours the other week (there's only a few claims where I am so I rarely see other people there). He told me that I was wasting my time and that he had found more in one day at his new claim at Bedford hill (50 feet underground) than he had found in 8 years in this spot. A quick look over the area showed that he has done very, very little digging in 8 years. The next day, I walked away with a few nice little cutters from where he said there was no stone. People don't like the idea of their local resource being plundered by a flood of outsiders.

Those topaz are fantastic Dozer! Too bad Flinders island is a rather long way from central QLD, too far for me.

Those are incredible Dozzer! well done. Did you have much luck on the beach?
Im heading up there soon and considering the travel time and expenses, the thought of coming back empty handed is terrible. Would you be so kind to offer some tips and advice on methods and spots?

Those aqua stones are awesome.

Go all the way to the end of the beach, then about 100 to 200m around on the rocks. Be there for the bottom of the tide and look for small rock pools at the low tide mark. Hand digging may be required, so have some good gloves and be prepared to get wet. Some rock pools will have spiky sea erchins in them and blue ringed octopus are also there( I found one)so be caire full. Try to get to the bottom of the hole you choose to work as most of the stones will be sitting on the granite at the base of the hole.

Good luck.

Legendary, thanks for the advice especially with the blue ringed octopus i wouldnt have thought of that!
Much appreciated.

1407839623_image.jpg

Thanks Miguel, I'm very happy with them. These are some shots Doug took before he sent them to me.

Latest posts