Keen Canadian

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all here. I am a proud Canadian living in Australia for the last 8 years. I have lived in Newcastle area in NSW and now currently live in Goolwa west in South Australia. I am very interested in this gold fossicking game you all like playing. I have currently the Minelab pro pan kit only, which has been fun for the 2 boys and I, 8 and 13 years old. I am thinking of getting into the detecting side of things for the 3 of us. Any recommendations on which detectors to purchase would be greatly appreciated. We have a $4000 limit for 3 metal detectors. My 2 boys do not like sharing so will need 1 each. Thanks very much in advance. :goldnugget:

Awesome ... welcome to PA, you've settled into a nice place at Goolwa ...... mind you rather loved where you've come from as well.

As for detectors ..... in that price range the Gold Monster will get one for everybody BUT ..... my personal view would be to get 1 SDC.
Much easier learning curve, essentials switch on and find gold (providing you walk over it of course).

Those that are VERY proficient with the GM seem to do well BUT ..... many, many seem to struggle.
Either way try to hire before you buy ......

SA seems pretty lean compared to Vic (as your nearest adding state) ..... apart from obviously search PA for info a good option may be to contact Nenad Lonic for advice, pretty sure he still does training days, worth the investment.

Good luck, sing out if you're heading to Victoria.
Cheers T.

1614399196_2cdfc3b1-65b9-4611-a3eb-1525aedb1498_1_201_a.jpg

Thankyou for the warm welcome Teemore and Jaros. All members here seem to have lots of knowledge. Yes being in Goolwa it is more closer for me to head to Victoria regions as there is too much people here against fossickers compared to other states. Would the Equinox 600 be a good start for my boys. I have been watching movies on youtube about it and it seems pretty chirpy. I just dont want them to get dishearted after 1 outing. The Equinox seems alot more stable for kids to use. I am looking for a used Sdc this week fingers and toes crossed. Mr Teemore I am very homesick looking at your photograph thankyou sir. :pickshovel:

Mr Teemore I have made two sourdough loaves early this morning for our picnic lunch over on Hindmarsh today. It smells just like home. Are you in my state I would love to meet up with you for Murray mouth beach fishing. :rainbow:

Maple Leaf said:
Mr Teemore I have made two sourdough loaves early this morning for our picnic lunch over on Hindmarsh today. It smells just like home. Are you in my state I would love to meet up with you for Murray mouth beach fishing. :rainbow:

Who doesn't love the smell of fresh baked bread ..... yummy.

I'm in Victoria, west of Melb. sadly don't get over that way too often these days ..... used to travel to Victor Harbour every year to chase salmon & snapper (don't do as much fishing these days). We have stayed in Goolwa as well as on Hindmarsh Island, some great fishing in the Coorong .... lovely waterway. Old movie but great for kids is Storm Boy (the original), set in and around Goolwa and the Coorong.

Most Aussie head to US/Canada to stay at the luxury Banff/Lake Louise resorts ....... I decided to take my wife to Diamond Tooth Gerties in Dawson City ...... needless to say she as a little sceptical but by the end of 21 days in the Yukon/Alaska she was totally hooked, even took to liking float planes.

As for the Equinox, I've not used one so reluctant to comment either way, pretty sure there'll be plenty of experts to advise.
Sadly, like fishing kids need a bite every now and then to keep them interested ....... another option that provides them with some activity is sluicing/highbanking .... it's an active hands on way of finding gold but not sure what prospects there are in SA. There are some options in western Victoria.

Hope you enjoyed the sourdough, enjoy what the region has to offer.
Cheers T.

Today was a very productive day. Firstly we bought a used sdc 2300 gold detector $2700 with 13 months warranty still. I thought this was an excellent deal. I as well purchased a 12 month old equinox 800 with 6" coil for $875. Saturday we are off to Anaconda to purchase our last bit of kit a gold monster 1000 and a minelab pro pan kit. The 3 of us now have alot of reading to now do. :)

Does any member know of a nice made pick that can be bought on line that posts australia wide. Tia.

Latest posts