Kara Kara Park

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have advice on detecting for gold in the Kara Kara National Park please? Ive not been, but intending to go in a few weeks, and Ive read that its difficult to access due to heavy undergrowth. Lots of wildlife too. Is it ok or too difficult? Cheers.

There were some real good sized colors found around the Eastern and South Eastern parts of the park many years ago. Not sure about the undergrowth now but it used to be fine for detecting the last time I was there about ten years ago.
Stay on the lower gentle sloping ground as the steep country is a waste of time. Beautiful looking country, and you just might get lucky. You will see a few scattered diggings here and there. Make sure you have good maps as there are many tracks, and be careful after rain as this area is infamous for getting bogged if you drive off the tracks.

Visit Parksweb victoria for a map. As it is a National Park, there are defined area where you can and can't detect. They have maps detailing detecting areas.

Reg, just picking your brains as a local
on this one as I'm over from the UK shortly and never prospected for gold or metal detected before, but I'm going to give it a go. I've got a top bloke showing me how to go on for a day, weather permitting, and then I've got a few days on my tod based in the Maryborough/Logan areas. Where would a rookie be most likely to find any gold in that area? I've been on the Victoria local govt site, got maps of the permitted areas and been on Geovic to map out old workings. What I'm missing is knowledge and knowhow!

If you are to be based in Maryborough, go to the Coiltek Gold Centre and speak to the guys there. They are a Minelab retailer and gold buyer, they all go out detecting themselves.

Most people in town can direct you, but they are on the main road going north out of town on the left about 3 kms from the traffic lights in the town centre. Also on Google maps if you zoom in enough. :)

bladesmith, As you are in Maryborough you have a lot of diggings in your area. From Evansford in the south to Havelock to the north you have many reef systems that produced gold. All these areas have been looked at by detectors, but it is such a huge area that there will be gold still to be found somewhere in that band.
Where ever you feel lucky.

Thank you gentlemen. I'm hiring a detector from Coiltek so i'll have a chat with them and will certainly try Maryborough.

Latest posts