Just starting. Mid 40s

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all. Just want to start a bit of prospecting with my son in Vic. Always been fond of the kinglake and Blackwood areas as my son and I have spend a lot of time driving through the areas and enjoying the roads and the beautiful scenery.
We have been talking about gold prospecting for a while and thought it may be a fad, but it keeps cropping up so thought I would get some equipment to enjoy some day and weekend trips.
So my question is what it a basic list for enjoying a day of prospecting in creeks, and surrounding areas.
Basically want advice on attire, footware, essentials, equipment and detector options.
So the basic creek equipment would be
Pans,
Classifiers
Crevicing tools
Hand spade, shovel
Hand pick
Some sort of suction device for crevicing
Couple of buckets.
Thinking of making a simple sluice to run in the creek, but may stick to panning for now.
Let me know if I missed something.

As for panning, creek work and anti-snake attire any advice would be appreciated.

Also I am after advice on purchasing an appropiate gold detector so not sure. Thinking initially to get an AT gold or pro to sweep the creek beds and banks but not sure how it will go along the quarts outcrops in blackwood, thinking of doing a fair bit of digging in the appropriate areas and going over the diggings and classified material.
Also to go over old tailings.

Initially I thought the AT Gold/Pro or equivalent would be adaquate for the above but would eventually like both a VLF and PI so my son and I can work as a team. While on the subject there are some 2000, 2100 and 2200s floating around, also the infinitum in the FS section here. Anyway would love some feedback.

Any advice would be great.

And thank you for the wealth of knowledge and information shared on this forum. It's an amazing advantage for people like me to at least have an balanced views and knowledge on the whole world of gold prospecting, and to at least know the basic theories from stories and opinions share from wiser and more experienced people. Thanks again

Welcome to PA LTL. There's a lot of the answers to your questions already on this site mate. Looks like you've already done a fair bit of homework. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice from the more experienced members. Good luck to you and your son.

Latest posts