Is this a really bad detector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bez

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a brand new cheap detector as a present for a friend, i found this on Ebay, but from what i can gather it seems way to cheap to even do anything.

I'm not looking to spend money as it's just a present, but at the same time i don't want to buy something for someone that can't even be used.

Could someone maybe explain the specs of this detector, and tell me if it's even worth buying or not. He goes gold panning sometimes as a hobby, so i thought it might be a nice idea.

ebay.com.au/itm/New-Deep-Target-Sensitive-Metal-Detector-Waterproof-06-/251035880770?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item3a72e78d42&_uhb=1

It only costs $75 delivered, and comes with a free set of head phones! :cool:

The specs:
Respond to all type of metal object with 3 Operation Modes: VLF, TR1, TR2
Meter indication for metal being detected
Adjustable Sensitivity. Max. Sensitivity: 18cm
Working frequency: 15KHz
3 Audio Frequency: 400Hz, 700Hz, 1500Hz to indicate different types of metal
Arm- support handle
One Touch Auto Tune
8"(200mm) Waterproof Search Coil
3 x 9V Batteries Required
Product Size: 90(L)x 19(W)x 19(H)cm

There is also a digital one for $20 more but the frequency is 6.6khz. I'm not sure of the difference

Thanks for you time!!

Bez, it depends what he wants to use it for. For a bit of fun around the beach or kids playgrounds it might be OK, but as a serious gold, coin or relic detector it is probably not suitable.

If he enjoys panning, you may want to look at a sluice. There are some good ones for around the $100 mark. Search "Angus MacKirk" on the forum and you should find plenty of posts about them.

Au

So do the specs look okay, is 18cm max depth pretty poor?

15khz.. idk much about this stuff.

$75 is cheap i know, but F--- it, if he gets some enjoyment out of it it's all worth it i guess. And if he wants he can buy a better one down the track.

As AU said Bez .
What it will be used for and how serious the user will be.
I guess it will give him an idea if he wants to spend more later to upgrade.
My dad in law has a cheapo Chinese detector.
I haven't had a chance to test it out as he is off chasing the gems in Qland :)
$75 is not a lot to spend.
Read a few posts hereabouts on detectors.

Good luck with it.

Rod

Its a tough decision without using the detector in question first hand. My only advice is not expect too much from a $75 machine, I've seen a couple of the cheap eBay detectors in action and although they will detect metal objects, they can be quite unstable and unreliable. Quality can also be an issue as most of them are cheaply manufactured and shipped straight out of China.

If your not 100% fixed on purchasing a metal detector, for around $90 you could purchase an Angus MacKirk Sluice. It's a great gesture and I'm sure your friend will be happy with whatever you decide.

Nugget.

Thanks for the replies.

I think i'll just get it for him, at least it gives him a start on detectors, and if he's serious enough i'm sure he'll want to purchase a better one later on.

Now my only problem is... i want one too :p

I think $75 for a vlf (dunno what tr1,tr2 is?) you can't go to wrong. It's the thought that counts and if he drops the car keys, it'll pay for itself and be the best present he ever got.
And Bez, if you haven't already got a detector, $75 to find out if you wanna keep doing it is a bargain.
:D

yeah for sure, i'm gonna buy one for myself too :cool:

It's only $75.. worth a shot anyway!
I'd be glad to test it out and report back.. never know.. could be a diamond in the rough!

My dad works as a commercial aircraft mechanic and has friends in avionics. I wonder if i could slip 'em a case of beer to pull it apart and have a look to see if it can be improved in anyway, even just made more reliable ?! I'm sure they'd know a thing or two about frequencies and the like.. can't hurt to ask anyway.

Cheers!

I had one and it didn't go too well. Only a few coins in a spot. Then I got the AT Gold and found about 20 more in the same spot. If it's just for fun, go for it. Also the depth is not as good as it describes.

I don't think the frequency is good for tiny nuggets, but who knows if you wave it over the right spot, you might have the next Welcome Stranger :D

Yeah bez they are absolute rubbish that's the exact model i had before the AT gold and pretty much EVERYTHING in the description is false, it only works as a vlf, the depth is more like 18mm, the construction is flimsy at best and it is by NO MEANS water proof i ended out giving it to my 2 year old son so he could "detect" with daddy :cool:
probably the only good thing i can say about it is that it was cheap so it didn't hurt the hip pocket too badly when i discovered just how pathetic a "machine" it really was :lol:

Cheers hawko, I think i'll reconsider the purchase then. I'm genuinely disappointed though, ha!

How much is this AT gold one everyone has? seems quite the popular detector.

The AT Gold is around $900 but there's a price hike coming in a few days which could see it jump to around $1000-$1100. If you don't want to spend that much, have a look at the Garrett Ace 250, they're only around $350 and are great value beginner machine. Have a search around the forum, there's plenty of posts on them.

Nugget.

Maybe best to find a weekend, hire a detector,when others are going out and tag along (if people are ok with it). This may help in selection. I'm thinking about doing this but have to many commitments atm.

Latest posts