Is there gold in mangroves?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the possibility of gold concretions formed by tidal estuaries.Ive found dark red ironstone conglomerates and heavy black concretes (with crude oil in some of them) just wondering if any of these heavy conglomerates could contain good enough percentages of gold in them to warrant some kind of leaching ,thanks Ryan :D

No idea with regards your original question, but I have seen where gold and silver coins (from old shipwrecks) have been been found in such concretions, so perhaps something else to consider?

Yep, I was thinking ballast too when I read it, the oil makes me think a more recent wreck off the coast though... no gold or silver there.
Probly a no no to rip into the mangroves nowadays anyway. But you could probably probe with a long thin rod to map the extent of the find to see if it is ship shaape.A probe would be less intrusive than a shovel... and a quick wipe of the mud covers all (except footprints... they pretty much take a while)

Definately interesting though, maybe make a small test bed for your probe so yo can tell the iron or from glass, pottery, steel, and softer metals like gold (lead), and silver by feel.... self taught knowledge is always best. :D
At the least you may prove it's not a vessel... but at the most you might have an X on your map ;) ;)

It is worth thinking about gold in seaweed . There is a lot of gold in the sea .

Yep....
link to data
https://www.911metallurgist.com/how-much-gold-sea-water/
1590654514_screenshot_2020-05-28-18-27-45.jpg

Latest posts