Is coin hunting fossicking??

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would you consider hunting for coins with a metal detector as fossicking?

Hunting for gold with a metal detector is considered fossicking.

Whats your thoughts?

:)

M3

Ha thats a good term for it.
But under a legislation or "act" would it be classed as fossicking?

To me, prospecting was anything to do finding, natural state gold/precious metals, and fossicking was about finding gems. Detecting on turf, sand, grannies backyard etc...is relic, or treasure hunting.

Yeah you all make good arguments, but if push comes to shove, detecting will be classed as fossicking. In Qld, the metal detector is included as one of the hand tools you can legally use for fossicking. Don't take this too much in the negative. If you go looking for coins after the local market has packed up, or go down to the beach and see what other people have lost, or any of those types of things, then Mr. Warden man is not at all likely to come and bother you. This type of leisure activity goes on all around the country.

So while it may be technically called fossicking, I doubt you would ever have a worry about it.

Heatho said:
The definition of prospecting means to find a new prospect whether it be gold or gems, fossicking is cleaning up/out old prospects, in my opinion.

Coin shooting is neither prospecting or fossicking. :)

I agree Heatho, the way I see it is prospecting and fossicking relates to minerals and anything naturaly occuring, nowhere does it say it is to search for man made objects i.e. coins and relics.

Yes a metal detector is a tool used for fossicking but is not its sole purpose, it can also be used for searching for other things, like coins which I believe is not fossicking.
:)

Don't have to worry about such a definition in SA thankfully. I always keep my miners permit handy if in Vic, especially if anywhere near the GT. Though it isn't technically required for coin shooting, at least my ass is covered should someone want to argue the point on whether I am coin or gold detecting.

silver said:
I have two shovels,... one for gardening,... and one for fossicking,... and now I don't know which is which anymore,.... 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( :rolleyes: 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( :D

The sharp one is for fossicking. ;)

Goldpick said:
silver said:
I have two shovels,... one for gardening,... and one for fossicking,... and now I don't know which is which anymore,.... 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( :rolleyes: 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( 8.( :D

The sharp one is for fossicking. ;)
The one that's pointy on both ends ? :|

The reason I am asking all of you your thoughts is I have found a promising sports ground used for cricket and AFL, and has been used as a sports ground since the late 1800's, it was also used as one of many base camps for US troops during the second world war, I am sure people have been down there before with a metal detector but wanted to have a swing and try my luck and to better my skills for the gold fields, oh and no one is dropping anything in my local playground lately :p and seeing all these awesome finds lately has got me wanting to try new ground that might have some old coins (and new ones)

We all know how much fun us Qlders have with "fossicking" laws and the ground is classed as a reserve which is a no go zone for "fossicking" but I think I might be safe because I am not looking for gold and gems. What do you think? :)

Thanks for all your input.

Recon you have a spot to reconnoitre ,... just need to stay off the fields themselves is all and keep everybody happy with your digging skills and carry your fossicking permit if you are still unsure,.... and don't take the pointy shovel at all(it's for prospecting). :D

silver said:
Recon you have a spot to reconnoitre ,... just need to stay off the fields themselves is all and keep everybody happy with your digging skills and carry your fossicking permit if you are still unsure,.... and don't take the pointy shovel at all(it's for prospecting). :D

Thanks silver, yeah I think it has alot of potential.
There is alot of ground around the outside of the fence that has alot of big old tree's was going to have a look in these areas first before contacting the groundsman to get the nod to have a search on the inside of the fence.
Yep I carry my fossickers licence even when I go to the local playground, ya never know :|
And I will leave my big pointy shovel at home, thanks for the tip :D

Hey Diggers, I love this forum more and more everyday. At least we can take the mickey out of each other and still offer some good advice to each other. Guess with what your asking M3 is like Silver says, keep off the fields and that, and make sure you fill in all your holes. I've detected in caravan parks and all sorts of places and as long as we do the right thing I doubt we will have any problems.

And if you happen to have a licence/permit of some kind then. yeah, carry it with you. See trouble is with our laws, and it doesn't matter which state your talking about, until somebody decides to take it to court and get a decision, the "protectors" of these laws will push it as far as they reckon they can so that they can say to their boss, "Hey look boss, I've booked 20 people last week for illegal prospecting (or whatever)". And the powers that be make sure it is to costly to go to court and challenge what is going down. See, because of my background, I would go to court and have a go, I've done it successfully before. But the average Joe has no hope of doing it and that is precisely what the powers that be are relying on. See, in this country, the crooks can get legal aid, but you try that for something you want to fight, and you won't get a cent. I know that from personal experience. I wanted to have a go at a couple of blokes for defamation, had all the evidence but legal aid doesn't apply in those cases and even the no win, no pay, mobs didn't want to know about. I would need $20k just to get a barrister to talk to me about it.

So mates, what hope have we got. Anyway I got off the point a bit, yeah maybe a big bit, but the point is, the rulers make it very hard for the little bloke to have a go.

Thanks Phoenix, definitely a good bunch of fellow hobbyists on here.

I see where you are coming from, and i appreciate your advice, I will be dotting my I's and crossing my T's because I love this hobby and don't want to ruin it for myself or anyone else. Do get the odd look from passes by when down on my knees digging a hole but that doesn't bother me because I know I am covering my tracks.

I'm pretty excited about this spot know that I feel better about swinging the detector around, I wonder what I will unearth :D

Latest posts