Investing

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a look online for acres in and around the GT.

Found 5 acres for $44,000. I'd be doing that. Five acres is a large enough area to detect every square inch in and then build your own little cabin. Digging is involved and what dirt you dig out can be processed for the gold stuff. You'll be happy, and you might get some cash back. :D

That's what I'd do.

aussiefarmer said:
Land is one of the best investments with the world population set to double in 25 years , but you may have to go out west to get much for $50 k , can still find the odd do er upper in little towns , but it could be a long wait for a return unless the government throws a dart on the map and want to house refugees there.
In my position I would buy drought affected cattle and put some fat back on them , stand the chance of making 30% in three months if it doesn't turn to crap , how bigs ya front lawn ? pmsl

Normally by the time the grazier is ready to sell cattle that are drought affected they can not be transported, They live in hope that it will rain the next day, then the next day, then the next day. In what I have experienced on larger cattle stations.

Cheers, DD

hey all,

Thanks for the feed back, it's always a joy to read such diverse responses from such a diverse bunch.

Digger Danny said:
aussiefarmer said:
Land is one of the best investments with the world population set to double in 25 years , but you may have to go out west to get much for $50 k , can still find the odd do er upper in little towns , but it could be a long wait for a return unless the government throws a dart on the map and want to house refugees there.
In my position I would buy drought affected cattle and put some fat back on them , stand the chance of making 30% in three months if it doesn't turn to crap , how bigs ya front lawn ? pmsl

Normally by the time the grazier is ready to sell cattle that are drought affected they can not be transported, They live in hope that it will rain the next day, then the next day, then the next day. In what I have experienced on larger cattle stations.

Cheers, DD
Yeh probably should have said lightweight or unfinished cattle more than drought affected.
Plenty of cheaper light weights out there that aren't see through , Cockies that cant commit early to cut back to their core breeders usually end up with everything un transportable. I wouldn't touch things to poor to load , unless I could see a path to drove them .
Being a optimist isn't a good farm trait , realists or pessimists usually make smarter decisions. Me I am a realist I know it wont rain till its to late. :)

Chewy said:
Ramjet said:
I'm with you Ramjet. Here's the latest offering from DMC. An American company bought the name along with a boatload of parts and monocoques that were left gathering dust in the factory in Ireland when it went pear shaped. Actually I think that happened because of cocaine and hookers. Lol[video=480,360]https://youtu.be/Hoyb4ueNh2s[/video]
Just a couple of flaws , No cup holder and where's tha flux capacitator , GREAT SCOTT will the battery get us upto 88 mph ? :)

josmarc999 said:
madworld said:
Fair bet you would lose 5 -10k in he next 18 months on bullion

Where are the facts to back up your claim :D

I think he could be right, here's three theories why ,

there's tons and tons in storage vaults all over the world... lets say china got a bit short on play money and cashed theres in :/ ,

some one might find the grandmother load under a glacier or the ocean or even on mars 8) ,

my momma told me so :lol:

aussiefarmer said:
Digger Danny said:
aussiefarmer said:

Cheers, DD
Plenty of cheaper light weights out there that aren't see through , Cockies that cant commit early to cut back to their core breeders usually end up with everything un transportable. I wouldn't touch things to poor to load , takes to much to turn them around .
Being a optimist isn't a good farm trait , realists or pessimists usually make smarter decisions. Me I am a realist I know it wont rain till its to late. :)

If only everybody Involved in live stock thought the same, I only know of 1 other grazier who thought like you AF a good bloke who beleave in looking after his land which in turn turned off good cattle at a minimal outlay. If it looked like a dry spell was coming he would unload big time selling while cattle were in good order including some breeders. He never out layed on drought supplements and is wealthy man. I dare say he might of sold sometimes at the wrong time but it never cost him any thing he just did not make as much. A good bloke to work for as well, staff were important to him. And before I forget, I am not saying that their is not other graziers/cockies that do not think the same I am saying that I know personally. I think I have gone off topic on this thread.

Cheers, DD

aussiefarmer said:
josmarc999 said:
madworld said:

there's tons and tons in storage vaults all over the world... lets say china got a bit short on play money and cashed theres in :/ ,

Considering gold was previously held to give value to the currency and this is no longer really the case, what is the real value of those stock piles? It's held as investment (privately as well), but what happens if a country does sell? How much is it really valued/sought after? What's the impact of it going on the market?

More questions than a statement.

josmarc999 said:
madworld said:

I dont have facts to back it up as such, but china continually lies about the quantity it has in reserve, which has a carry on effect. In a few years time when they have amassed as much as they viably can, they will, IMO , release their true holding figures, which will coincide with a rise in golds value. At the moment though they have no interest in being the highest holder of gold on paper. Have a reas up on it, from what i know i believe that golds going to keep dropping for 18 months, but hey, im broke so dont take advice from me

Bit like metals the gold buys, like any market fools rush in on the rise and fall, the smart money is buying at the bottom and selling at the top.
Truth is no matter how simple that statement it's the practice and coin needed to get going.
When the media and the "experts" are saying terrible market it's hard to convince those around you and yourself it's the right thing to do.
Biggest single cash transaction I ever did was in copper just post gfc. And steel was practically being given away.
My old boss thought I was a bit loopy at the time but I made 7 times ROI after costs, and I am a dumb truck. Poor men get lucky, wealthy men make their luck.

If USD continues to increase in value and interest rates increase gold will continue to fall. Perhaps investors will find bullion is as good as putting money under the mattress and look at other options as investment opportunities pick up. That would be a basic summary.

You could look into oil price versus gold price, demand for oil, reduction in manufacturing and mining and impact on demand of both commodities. Gold versus commodity prices, perhaps gold has been over valued.

If I listened to my own advice to buy undervalued bank shares @ GFC I'd be a millionaire...... :lol:

Always stumped me how USD has a direct relation to Golds price, without fail if USD drops, gold goes up and USD rises, golds guaranteed to drop.

Digger Danny said:
I dare say he might of sold sometimes at the wrong time but it never cost him any thing he just did not make as much.

That's spot on Digger.

I always say you never make or lose money on an investment unless you sell. As a rule of thumb buy in a low and sell in a high, so how much you make is all down to timing in the end but getting timing right is difficult. If you are happy with the profit take it, as the longer you leave it the more risk you take in losing it.

Back to Gold trooper:

What's important to me is the quality and diversity of investment as well as the ability and flexibility to manage your life if in crisis by being able to sell portions of your investment. That's why I'd suggest to go with shares, particularly with the sums you are talking about, cheap cost to buy and sell. Buy for the long term quality proven companies currently under priced which return a dividend.

I'd steer away from property as prices are really high, interest rates are really low and wages haven't kept up. I don't think our wages are going to increase to such a level to make housing a viable investment for the outlay. More likely prices will stagnate/fall and interest rates will increase adding to your return on investment woes. Also the tax/costs to buy and sell are huge and you can't just sell part of your asset for life adjustments, you have to redraw and pay interest to the bank.

For me I am currently looking at using the equity in my house and buying small business with a high return on investment. This is still high risk as effectively I'm buying a running concern but own nothing except cash flow. To reduce that risk, I'm only looking at managed businesses with proven returns over many years with operating procedures and successful management already in place (like buying into shares). It will be a passive investment and I'll just manage at a much higher level.

I hope that gives you some ideas Gold trooper.
Jon

blisters said:
Digger Danny said:
I dare say he might of sold sometimes at the wrong time but it never cost him any thing he just did not make as much.

That's spot on Digger.

I always say you never make or lose money on an investment unless you sell. As a rule of thumb buy in a low and sell in a high, so how much you make is all down to timing in the end but getting timing right is difficult. If you are happy with the profit take it, as the longer you leave it the more risk you take in losing it.

Back to Gold trooper:

What's important to me is the quality and diversity of investment as well as the ability and flexibility to manage your life if in crisis by being able to sell portions of your investment. That's why I'd suggest to go with shares, particularly with the sums you are talking about, cheap cost to buy and sell. Buy for the long term quality proven companies currently under priced which return a dividend.

I'd steer away from property as prices are really high, interest rates are really low and wages haven't kept up. I don't think our wages are going to increase to such a level to make housing a viable investment for the outlay. More likely prices will stagnate/fall and interest rates will increase adding to your return on investment woes. Also the tax/costs to buy and sell are huge and you can't just sell part of your asset for life adjustments, you have to redraw and pay interest to the bank.

For me I am currently looking at using the equity in my house and buying small business with a high return on investment. This is still high risk as effectively I'm buying a running concern but own nothing except cash flow. To reduce that risk, I'm only looking at managed businesses with proven returns over many years with operating procedures and successful management already in place (like buying into shares). It will be a passive investment and I'll just manage at a much higher level.

I hope that gives you some ideas Gold trooper.
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the feedback.
We're contemplating a business, it's one of our maybe's.

I do appreciate your feedback.

Latest posts