Intro - Week long adventure somewhere on the South Coast of NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANDT

Brendon
Reaction score
Hi my name is Brendon,

My wife and I have been travelling around oz a bit and currently I am on the South Coast of NSW and she is in Canberra. I have a week before I have to be in Canberra to meet back up with her and would like to spend the time fossicking for gems and gold.

I am hoping for some help picking a suitable location to camp and fossick.

I have only been searching in State Forests as I don't know the rules about crown land and how to go about getting permissions, plus I'm going to head off Monday so have left learning how to go about it and obtaining permissions a bit late. Alternatively is there anywhere else other then state forests you can go without arranging prior approval? I want to keep it legit also please. So places like where you might be able to go and camp and fossick for a small fee would be ok also.

I am struggling to find anywhere that ticks both the gold and gem(pref sapphire) boxes in the state forests. So I am leaning towards going to Mogo State Forest and just trying my best for a bit of gold, I only have a Equinox 800 detector and no experience panning. I know, I know, not quite the right gear and also no idea :perfect: . I'm going to have a red hot go regardless.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for anywhere between Wollongong and Narooma and as far west as Canberra?

Thanks heaps for any advise.

Latest posts