Interesting Shaped Nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back at the patch at the weekend and this little fella turned up...
0.4g and flat on all four sides and the top....
Not seen one this kind of shape before ! would be interested to know how it was formed... :)

1372039880_crystal_nugget.jpg

There was not much around it.
It was quite shallow in some pipe clay, some crushed quartz around the area....
Very strange and unusual :)

Nice piece billabong!
Looks like a natural cubic gold crystal, assuming it hasnt just been squished by an odd rock formation it could be gold in its cubic form. Would have that looked at by a microscope mate. If it is a piece of crystalline gold it would be worth a bit to a collector, gold crystals dont form very often. They need really specific circumstances to occur.

Looks crystalline to me! Sometimes though you can find lookalike crystalline gold that is formed by taking the shape of the quartz cavity it was formed in. I don't know how to tell the difference though. Still, either way its a cool looking little piece!

As already stated, it looks like crystalline gold. Gold forms as a 4 sided crystal and that looks like the real deal. Double terminated would be the pinnacle of finds but if what you have is created by mother nature, then you you have a very rare find indeed. DO NOT sell it for gold value until you are absolutely sure what you have.
Gold in its natural form, undisturbed by erosion is often crystalline in nature. You may have something worth hundreds on the collector market.
I hope you have.
With all that said, it could have been shaped and set into something like a ring or pendant, then fallen out.
Good luck and well done.

Billabong said:
Back at the patch at the weekend and this little fella turned up...
0.4g and flat on all four sides and the top....
Not seen one this kind of shape before ! would be interested to know how it was formed... :)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/149/1372039880_crystal_nugget.jpg

If you do decide to ebay it make sure you take very clear photos with a macro zoom and emphasise what you think it is ( as already detailed in previous posts above )

start with a good high starting price , not a 'buy it now'

and post photos of it with an ebay link on a few gold forums in the USA and europe asking for peoples opinions about it being "natural crystaline form"

let nature take care of the outcome :)

human nature.

my avatar is a pic of crystal gold
The Green Wanderer said:
Nice piece billabong!
Looks like a natural cubic gold crystal, assuming it hasnt just been squished by an odd rock formation it could be gold in its cubic form. Would have that looked at by a microscope mate. If it is a piece of crystalline gold it would be worth a bit to a collector, gold crystals dont form very often. They need really specific circumstances to occur.

Latest posts