Intake hose

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I beleive as a general rule, most pumps push better than they can pull.
Heaps of equations to heaps of set ups.
Take a 5hp petrol high pressure cleaner, I would love that cutting ability in my hopper! 5hp... but only 9 ltrs a minute!!!!...... Pressure not volume.
if you hook a 25mm garden hose up to 19mm tap, you wont get any more more water/ volume out of it. Fact.
weird stuff, formulars and equations come into place. I run 40mm in and out. I tried reducing 40mm back to 25mm to gain pressure, not volume. over over a long distance.
Failed. 40mm was still better at keeping the pressure up at the spray bars.
People get pressure and volume sometimes confused.
So pumps aren't all the same. Transfer pumps are designed for volume.
Fire pumps are designed for more fore pressure, to some degree. Fine jet at a distance away.
A transfer style pump will dump heaps at your feet, bit close for fire fighting one would imagine!

Ok a damaged pump = not good so i will run in 2' and 2 out i think a 6.5hp @ 18000lph should be sufficient for volume and pressure i think. So much to factor in with high banking and I still haven't taken it out yet. But with out you guys i would be screwed

Hi Rusty22, the guys are all right with their replies, for a little more info, yes you can run a smaller suction hose than a manufacturers recommendations but it will likely lead to cavitation of the pump, (basically pulling air out of the water) which creates wear to the impeller and vibration, all detrimental to the life of your pump.
Wherever possible run the suction pipe of a pump no smaller in diameter than the actual fitting on the inlet to the pump. Larger is always better with suction lines.
The discharge on the other hand can always be run smaller than the actual fitting size, Ie most firefighters around the 5-6.5hp range run a 1 1/2" inlet and a couple of 1" and larger outlets. It depends on how long this discharge pipe may be, as to how much performance you will lose.
A slight restriction on the discharge is good, pumps in general like a little back pressure on them, depending on their performance curve. Running with minimal back pressure also leads to cavitation and pump damage.

In essence if you ran a smaller suction line than recommended, you limit the capability of the pump to draw water in, so where it may lift water 6-7m maximum normally, it may only do 3-4 m with the smaller diameter inlet. It will cause damage ultimately in the form of excessive wear which will shorten the life of the pump.

For those a little technically minded, fit a pressure gauge to your pump's discharge port, look at the manufacturers performance curve and keep the pressure on the gauge somewhere around around the 1/4 to 3/4 position along the pump curve. This quarter to three quarters position on the pump curve needs to be read off on the vertical scale of the pump graph, which will usually be metres of head (mHd), PSI, Bar or kPa.)
This is within the normal operating ranges of most pumps and will keep your pump happy and living a long life!

Hope that helps a bit.......
Elusive

Thanks mate. It is 1" 1/2 in and i now have 2" suction in and 2" hose out with another reduction back dowen to1" 1/2 @ the sluce so fingers crossed.

Latest posts