Inglewood Flora Reserve Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it ok to use a metal detector in the Inglewood Flora Reserve or any other flora reserve for that matter?
I am more interested in the Inglewood Flora Reserve than the others though.
I can not find an answer on the net anywhere.

Thanks, Jimmy.

As long as its State Forest and you dont disturb or damage the Flora in your digs its ok in the book.

Have your miners right with you!

Thanks for your reply Metamorphic.

Yes I cart my Miners Right with me all the time.

On the map the Inglewood Flora Reserve is in the Inglewood state forest north of the town but it is coloured in yellow,
where the state forest is green. I don't want to get caught in there if not legal.
I tried to send the link to the map but I can't do that yet. (Not enough posts)
Which book do you mean?

Jimmy.

Im pretty sure that Brutus is correct Jimbob, but for clarification, give these guys a ring!

Where can I find out what areas are available for prospecting on a hobby basis?

Earth Resources Information Centre,
Ground Floor, 113 Exhibition Street, Melbourne
Ph: 1300 366 356

Great job for asking before doing also mate, this is the sort of spirit that helps us all in our quest to keep the forests open!

Good work and good luck.

;)

Metamorphic said:
Im pretty sure that Brutus is correct Jimbob, but for clarification, give these guys a ring!

Where can I find out what areas are available for prospecting on a hobby basis?

Earth Resources Information Centre,
Ground Floor, 113 Exhibition Street, Melbourne
Ph: 1300 366 356

Great job for asking before doing also mate, this is the sort of spirit that helps us all in our quest to keep the forests open!

Good work and good luck.

;)

Tis me again Meta and Brutus.

I took your advice Meta, I didn't ring, I e-Mailed, as I wanted it in writing. My email and reply:-

I am trying to find out if it is ok to use a metal detector in the Inglewood Flora Reserve as
I can not find an answer on the net anywhere.

Could you let me know, if metal detecting and camping is permitted in the Inglewood Flora Reserve please?

Hope to hear from you soon ---- Jim.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Jim,
My understanding is that the Inglewood Nature Conservation Reserve is Crown land nominated under Section 7(1) of the Crown Land (Reserves) Act (and is Restricted Crown Land as defined in the Mineral Resources (Sustainable Development) Act ), and so is not open to prospectors holding a Miner's Right. With regards camping you would need to contact the local Park Victoria office, as Parks Victoria manage this land.

regards XXXXX XXXXXXXX

Well that's buggared that.
But I am not too sure about the words, (my understanding) maybe I should have left it alone.

Happy days, Jimmy.

Sounds like the parky doesn't know and has given you the standard cover my backside answer. Seems strange that he said prospecting is out but he is not sure about camping.

I wouldn't give up just yet

Cheers

Metamorphic said:
Restricted crown land hey?

The crown land reserves act 1978 states ;

7. Consent of manager required for mining purposes.

Im guessing the manager here would mean Parks Victoria?

My next port of call would be contacting them Jim.

Email: [email protected]

Call 13 1963 within Australia

Thanks Meta.

I have just noticed he has used the words Inglewood Nature Conservation Reserve

I asked:- if metal detecting and camping is permitted in the Inglewood Flora Reserve

What do you think? worth another go?

Yeh mate, see what Parks Vic say about this issue!

Should get a clearer answer hopefully.

If gold is on the line, its worth a shot in my book.

Best of luck mate ;)

G'day Jimbob,

If your referring to the land to the north of Inglewood? the http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks website calls it a nature conservation park. Dont hold me to this but you will notice two shades of green. From searching other areas around the dark green areas are ok for prospecting. But they are usually nature conservation reserves? Not sure of the difference?

This is interesting as I have been looking at an area on GeoVic 3 but it has 2 types of reserves, 1 is delegated management & the other is direct management but none show as restricted or unavailable crown land or unavailable S7 exempt area's or any other type of restricted area.
The direct management area is just bushland & the delegated management area looks to be pine plantation.
I have read in some facebook groups about people going detecting around this area but its all pretty much as above, reserves.
So should I be trying to find who controls the land or should I just go there & start detecting. All the area's mentioned are crown land.
I have rang the Earth Resources centre a couple weeks back about another area that showed on GeoVic as having a plantation & a small heritage inventory area on it, but it is just overgrown bush with shallow workings, the bloke told me to just use common sense, if it looked un-cared for then it should be fine to detect.
Seems it hard to get a straight answer & he told me that its a very complicated area when it comes to prospectors because there is so many different organisations that are in control of different area's. So to me, if its not showing as restricted or unavailable in any way then we should be able to detect there without a problem. If anything, its the governments fault if we detect in the wrong place because its so hard to find out who actually controls the different area's so how do we get permission.

Sorry for high jacking thread but thought it better to post here instead of starting new thread about a similar issue.

All good points Ozz.....there are many shades of grey within our hobby of prospecting, and it is sometimes very confusing to decipher which makes it hard for those who wish to do the right thing.

I feel for all in Vic who just want to have a go at digging up some color.....and especially for our brothers in NSW where it seems to get even more complicated.

Lets hope the fees we all pay to the PMAV will eventually place an LED light in the tunnel for us.

I can't see any high jacking going on around here ozziii.

That is very interesting, you are having the same trouble as me, I have been at it for weeks.

If it looks un-cared for then it should be fine to detect. I like this, what? if the grass has been mowed keep away.

If you get any more information ozziii could you let me know and if I ever get an answer I will post it up here.

Thanks. Jimmy.

(Corrected yours and mine)

NSW even more complicated than Vic, I feel sorry for all those south of the border then.

I'm yet to join the PMAV but have the forms so will be joining as soon as I can, well worth it I think.

Does anyone know the difference between, Nature Conservation Reserves and Flora Reserves?

They don't sound the same thing to me.

Trying to find out weather you are doing the right thing or not, is like a new level of crazy to me.
I am a black and white, yes and no man, don't like this grey area at all.

If they are trying to confuse me they have nearly succeeded, Jimmy.

(Spelling again)

In my view, a Nature Conservation Reserve would encompass both Flora & Fauna, whereas a Flora Conservation Reserve is only for the re-habitation of specific Flora species.

Having said that, it is INCUMBENT of us ALL to know at ALL TIMES if where we are prospecting is a LEGAL activity, and IGNORANCE will not be tolerated as a DEFENSE in court.

Best to continue your research and get in writing any permission granted, WITH a contact name in the event of being queried about your presence.

On Conservation sites you do need to be more careful of the destruction or even DAMAGE to the local Flora....so nuggets under tree roots are generally a NO-NO unless able to retrieve without damage, but that CAN become "subjective" in the eye of the "officer" as even "disturbed" ground can be "perceived" as being "damage" underlying the root system.

Caution Advised....

GGA

Latest posts