I'm Baaaaaack.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tudogz

Thomas Greenbank
Reaction score
Hi all. I was on this site some time back. Just tried to log in and found I was no longer a subscriber, so I've resubscribed.

I'm writing a novel based around the gold mining industry in Aust from the '70s onwards.

I'd appreciate anyone's help with some facts and details to keep my book and the details relevant and credible.

One thing I would like to know, is whether a small mine opening in the mid '70s would have done processing onsite or whether
they might have availed themselves of a nearby processing plant. My mine is based near Kalgoorlie. I was having them send ore out for processing but need to know if this was normal practice.

Thanks in advance for any help. And yes, probably a complimentary copy once it's published. :)

I have seen a lot of trove newspaper articles indicating that a government stamper would be considered once a prospect reached a certain criteria. Certainly hit the news when one was promised or commissioned.

I would suggest doing a Trove search for the earliest articles you can find on your area.

Hi Silver.
As far as I can remember, I was tudogz back then too.
I think that maybe my registration expired due to lack of action.
I've been pretty busy with the book and also my other "job" of affiliate marketing.
Cheers. :pickshovel: :goldpan: :cool:

Hi tudogz

I was an exploration and mining geologist based in Kalgoorlie from 1983 to 1992. There were a great many small mines from 83 onward when the boom commenced. Not so much in the 70s but a few old timers with small rich deposits. Many were there more for the lifestyle than anything else and beer and food money. Characters mostly. many still going once the rush started.

All of them would send their ore to one of a few State Batteries. There were two still operating around Kal when I got there. One in Coolgardie and the other in Kal. No companies were accepting ore in the 70s as there were only a few plants operating and the loads were too small anyway.

One the boom got going and company mines started up a few medium sized operations would send ore to an existing plant. Also quite a few small syndicates from the 80s retreated old tailings and dumps.

Araluen

Latest posts